Favorite individual tree to prune: do you have one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to prune pretty much any crab.(malus)
Loppers and hand pruners are pretty much all you
need while they're still young.

Having started with my favorite single tree to prune, I think my favorite type of tree to prune are Japanese maples. They are not very big, but I like working with them.

Do you mean Zelkova? Do they really get big enough to have fun with?

Zelkova is a genus of six species of deciduous trees in the elm family Ulmaceae, native to southern Europe, and southwest and eastern Asia. They vary in size from shrubs (Z. sicula) to large trees up to 35 m tall (Z. carpinifolia).

The name Zelkova ultimately derives from the native name of Z. carpinifolia in one or more of the languages of the Caucasus, as shown by the Georgian name, ძელქვა (dzelkva).​

Like any genus, it depends on the species. Serrata and carpinafolia are the 2 most common in the US becuase they were brought in to fill in for the loss of Ulmus A.

The other 5 or 6 species don't get the clasic vase form so were not cultivated as extensivly.

Z. abelicia and sicula, for instance are a medium sized shruby montain species that are onle found on Crete and Sicily respectivly and are endangered. Though I've read of a few of them in Bot Garden collections.

Here's something I found on Z. serrata I keep on file for the halibut.
欅, ケヤキ

In the Japanese name, 木 means tree 挙げる means lift up hand, so a big tree that grows like a raised hand is the meaning of 欅.​

I did some research on them as a substitue species a while back since a number of the hybrid elms were not looking good as they matured. I think it was homestead that suckers so much it needs regular pruning (wood should look cool though!)

Euro Beech

There is a gigantic european beech on the umass campus that i climb often and take dead wood out of when no one is looking. I get a nice look at all the college girls from up there as well :cheers:

There is a gigantic european beech on the umass campus that i climb often and take dead wood out of when no one is looking. I get a nice look at all the college girls from up there as well :cheers:

You need a shirt "Life's a Beech" with a tree logo.

My favorite is large honey locusts. As long as whoever bid it took into account that the wiggly branches make things go slower (cut branches rarely fall all the way to the ground), then these trees are definately my favorite. Wide spreading horizontal branches. Strong wood so you can get a goooood tie in, and the flaks of bark are so strong you can use it to your advantage for a little friction when trying to climb up not-horizontal branches.

love
nick

You know, I was looking for the bottom of this thread to make a post in response to John Paul Sanborns mention of honey locust. My post was going to be--are you serious? Even mentioning Honey Locust in this thread? And then Nickfrom Wi mentions it too. HOney LOcust is your favorite tree to prune? Extreme.

Grandfather Live Oak

its strength, character,and longevity makes me feel lucky to work in them. they get pretty big too!

is that a yes???

Zelkova is a genus of six species of deciduous trees in the elm family Ulmaceae, native to southern Europe, and southwest and eastern Asia. They vary in size from shrubs (Z. sicula) to large trees up to 35 m tall (Z. carpinifolia).

The name Zelkova ultimately derives from the native name of Z. carpinifolia in one or more of the languages of the Caucasus, as shown by the Georgian name, ძელქვა (dzelkva).​

Like any genus, it depends on the species. Serrata and carpinafolia are the 2 most common in the US becuase they were brought in to fill in for the loss of Ulmus A.

The other 5 or 6 species don't get the clasic vase form so were not cultivated as extensivly.

Z. abelicia and sicula, for instance are a medium sized shruby montain species that are onle found on Crete and Sicily respectivly and are endangered. Though I've read of a few of them in Bot Garden collections.

Here's something I found on Z. serrata I keep on file for the halibut.
欅, ケヤキ

In the Japanese name, 木 means tree 挙げる means lift up hand, so a big tree that grows like a raised hand is the meaning of 欅.​

I did some research on them as a substitue species a while back since a number of the hybrid elms were not looking good as they matured. I think it was homestead that suckers so much it needs regular pruning (wood should look cool though!)

Z.serrata doesn't get that big around here, but we have plenty of 'em. They were supposed to be a replacement for american elms:dizzy:

Using your tree climbing skillz to scope college chicks...well done

I once had a girl climb my Quercus erectus.
Here in South kakalacky we have an over abundance of Lagustroemia sp. You can really get a nice shape out of one in full sun. Many of the hacks around here perform "Crape Murder!"

Latest posts

Back