Fell a Tree for Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well yes its the proverbial situation. "I'll give you the wood if you take it down." However this time my neighbor is in on the deal. They want me to look at it this weekend. Here is what I'm going to tell them. I will fell it for you free of charge. I will not pick up a single stick and I will take only the pieces I want. It will be your mess to clean up. However since I haven't seen it its probably not out in the open because if it were I wouldn't have heard about it and someone would have already taken care of it. Somehow I think there has to be a catch!

With me it depends on the tree and where it is. Good wood close to house I take it down and chip the brush and haul everything away for the firewood. So-so wood and futher away I do less and/or charge more.

Everybody wants free tree service, and they get it by duping firewood guys into cutting down their trees for free. Otherwise a reputable tree service would rightfully charge hundreds of dollars. If you are comfortable with your felling skills and/or don't see any property damage issues, then carry out your plan...but I'd charge at least $200, which would still be a bargain.

Its a tree service, not a free service.
I cut down trees for free sometimes if I like the people, if I don't know them they pay, if I don't like them they pay lots.

Earlier in the summer I took down a tree for a long time friend who had a maple leaning back over his house and it was rotten at the base. I told him to get right with his insurance and I charged $100.00 plus the wood rights. Thankfully all went well that ends well and he was very happy as I saved him hundreds or possibly thousands. Looking back on the deal it could very easily been a night mare. After Hurricane Ike went through Ohio that tree surely would have fallen on the house. Most of the time though someone wanting to give the FW for the service is just looking for a handout and will be the first to sue if something goes wrong.

Earlier in the summer I took down a tree for a long time friend who had a maple leaning back over his house and it was rotten at the base. I told him to get right with his insurance and I charged $100.00 plus the wood rights. Thankfully all went well that ends well and he was very happy as I saved him hundreds or possibly thousands. Looking back on the deal it could very easily been a night mare. After Hurricane Ike went through Ohio that tree surely would have fallen on the house. Most of the time though someone wanting to give the FW for the service is just looking for a handout and will be the first to sue if something goes wrong.
and THAT is soooo totally correct!!!!!!!!!

I fall trees for firewood IF I know the folks. Neighbors, friends and relatives only(so obviously only by word of mouth). I don't charge money and only take the wood I want and clean up the rest. I have skills with working with trees and know down the road I can barter favors from those folks I already helped so I never ask/receive money. We are clear up front with what I am comfortable with doing and what I won't do. If I think the work is beyond my abilities I will tell them so.

Good Luck

I went by the place this weekend and I had pegged it. Houses barely 10' apart and just to make it interesting wires through the trees. Trees look healthy however so I'm not sure why they want them down except both were very large and tall. Although I'll bet they already got estimates. Judging by the neighborhood the only way those trees will ever come down is old age or act of god. I felt so curtain of what I would see I only drove by because I was doing errands in that side of town.

Drop Tree for Firewood or Lawsuit?

Suppose you drop a tree for a friend who may even be only a starving tree trimmer. You do it for the firewood, or maybe he throws a few bucks your direction.

While you make the felling cut, an old man walks buy (or a kid on a bicycle) and the tree falls on him (or the kid).

Now what? Got the picture?

I went by the place this weekend and I had pegged it. Houses barely 10' apart and just to make it interesting wires through the trees. Trees look healthy however so I'm not sure why they want them down except both were very large and tall. Although I'll bet they already got estimates. Judging by the neighborhood the only way those trees will ever come down is old age or act of god. I felt so curtain of what I would see I only drove by because I was doing errands in that side of town.
Ones like that you don't even have to stop unless it is to double check the address. There is a 2 cord Hackberry around the corner from me. Every time the HO see's me he tells me he still has my $50 to take it down. I keep telling him "When it blows down, then call me." He didn't get to where he has money by spending any of it, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back