Looking for a true firewood conveyor. Opinions wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I currently have an old hay elevator that I converted for firewood. Although it has served me well, it's getting worn, and I'm pretty sick of messing with it. I keep it fed with a TW6. I know the cost effective thing to do would be another old elevator. I don't want to go that way. So I've been looking at firewood conveyors. The 2 that seem to be close in specs are the Timberwolf and the Wolf Ridge. Both 24', hydraulic raise, top mount motors, trash shute. The difference that I see are Timberwolf uses a belt with paddles, and Wolf Ridge uses a single chain with paddles. The Wolf also has rotating wheels, but I don't think I'll need that feature because I don't move my stuff around. The Wolf is built in WI. So I'm assuming freight will be cheaper but I haven't looked into it.

So what's better? Belt or chain?
Are there other conveyors I should be looking at for less then $10,000.
Does anyone have any experience with either?
What am I not thinking of?

Thanks for the help.

I had a V trough chain type and now a belt. The only way the belt has jammed is a stick roughly the same width as the sides will wedge itself as it goes up (rarely) or a piece will jam in my homemade trash rack. I've yet to tighten the belt after a couple years. The chain conveyor was constantly jumping off the sprocket, getting loose, jamming with debris and not moving the wood without some help.
I had mine built locally, the small shop builds conveyors for all sorts of Industries so it was well built. The prices sure have gone up since then.....
Having a 'backstop' or a little hopper area to toss the pieces in will be your biggest hurdle, not so hard to overcome. When I use mine this way, I find the pieces sometimes bounce up off the belt and fly over the sides.
I tow mine around but that could add a cost depending on your areas rules for trailers.

I used a old farm elevator for a number of year's. They work but not the best for firewood. About ten years ago needed something better and less break downs. Bought a old gravel belt conveyor. Its fully hydraulic ran. Lift and drive it drives from the top. Engine was bad on it so I put a used Wisconsin I had around. I did change the sprockets on the drive to slow down the belt. Built a hopper guide on the end to feed it. I run it after my processor or my splitter. It works great and it never gives me any issues. Paid around fifteen hundred for it. I did have to tow it home five hundred miles which was not problem. So I guess my vote is for a belt type.

I have a bunch of conveyors but no belt ones. I have heard that belt ones can also jamb with snow or small pieces falling on the ground and into the belt I would think a deflector shield would stop the jamming but not sure about snow. I convert hay and grain elevators to firewood use. I also change belt/ pullies, chains and sprockets to slow them down. Speed kills these types of conveyors. I also have a single chain Blackscreek firewood conveyor that I really like but it's only 16' long. It does get slivers in the sprockets once in awhile but it still works great to handload onto my dump trailer. I have an attached conveyor on my Wallenstein processor. It's also a single chain style with paddles, works good and seldom gets jammed. Again it's only 16' long and is attached to processor. I dump off it onto a converted 35' grain elevator which is the type I like to convert the best. The best thing about dedicated firewood conveyors is that most of them are almost bullet proof but they are getting pretty pricy. Gravel conveyors work really well but are usually really really heavy and if you need to repair them it can get expensive quick. Wolf Ridge makes good equipment and I bet if you call him Chris would build a custom one with whatever you want on it. Might take awhile but it will be worth it in the end. Lead time right now is 12 to 14 weeks on the website. Old picture of Wallenstein, conveyor and converted grain conveyor.

Attachments

• 187911618_10165009060220417_2252031024703342944_n.jpg
    187911618_10165009060220417_2252031024703342944_n.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0
I use a 28' belted, hydraulic drive, dedicated firewood conveyor.
Snow can get under the belt on the bottom drum. The compression turns it into a lump of ice. That throws the belt tracking off and the belt rubs the side. The real issue is the fixed guards that makes bottom drum access really difficult. Someone with a cutting wheel and welder could redesign that, and make it a non-issue with hinged or removable pins. It really doesn't happen to often orI would have a welder do that. Wood chips also get between the belt and bottom drum, much more often than snow, but very infrequently. Reverse, stop the belt, and knock the chip off the lower belt section, back to work. The lower drum area needs mucked out of chips. Keep the work area cleaned up before or after a run, and your good.
The pluses to hydraulic. Top drum drive, reversible, and hydraulic lift. If it jambs your not tearing up things either. A jamb can happen if you pile too high. The piece coming off the conveyor sticks between the pile and a paddle on the belt. Runs on a Honda GX 160.

I just ordered a 24' Wolf Ridge. Should be delivered sometime in September. I neighbor has a 40' Wolf Ridge and he let me check it out last week. That sealed the deal, they look very well built. I'll post some pics when I get it. Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back