Felling a tree for hardwood lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1:1...? but that's only 50%.... you better go rethink this one. :laughing:
Right! 1:0

Three guys go to rent a hotel for the night.
The clerk said its $30. They all pay $10 each. He realized he overcharge them $5
and sent the bellhop up to give then the change. They all took $1 back and gave the bellhop a $2 tip.
Now their invertment is $9 each.

3x9 =27 +2 for tip = $29

What happened to the other dollar?

It turned into a loonie bird and flew away .
1 Canadian Dollar equals
0.75 US Dollar

My concern wasn't seeing a physical break in the tree, my concern was that if a certain procedure wasn't taken to drop the tree "correctly" that there may be internal damage to the wood. Damage that would only be seen as the tree was being milled or even further after, when it is made into furniture.
IF you see any internal damage, it wasn't the fall that caused it.

I've dropped hundreds of big tree's for my sawmill, I've never yet had one damaged in the fall that didn't ALREADY have that internal damage...

And, as a retired cabinet maker, yes I do know the difference...

SR

Right! 1:0

Three guys go to rent a hotel for the night.
The clerk said its $30. They all pay $10 each. He realized he overcharge them $5
and sent the bellhop up to give then the change. They all took $1 back and gave the bellhop a $2 tip.
Now their invertment is $9 each.

3x9 =27 +2 for tip = $29

What happened to the other dollar?
They overpaid at 9.00 each the excess should be subtracted to arrive at the 25.00. The tip comes from their funds. That is the best I can figure.

27-2=25

Now as for post #1 here
"
most of his career in the tree business, clearing limbs near high voltage power lines and clear-cutting. He is a climber. I can have him do whatever I need to a tree."
I am guessing you and this guy are co workers now in non tree related stuff. Are you really going to tell him to climb the tree and limb it or some such thing if that is what you read on the internet? It sort does not sound like he would be insured for a disabling accident.

I can say and could show you how the stumps look around here. They are cutting real low, not cutting to much of a notch out, like usually shown on the internet or in the chainsaw manual. Then cut off about 2 1/2 feet at a time until there is no rot. Even the ones with no rot there is no damage in the log pile but that is gone and I could not show you at least close by. Do not be surprised if there is rot in the middle of the tree, you do not seem that far from here.

I would think if the guy has been doing clear cutting as a career as indicated all you really need do is tell him what not to damage in the surroundings.

good advice all- i know this isnt what you asked for, but it may help you- two things you might want to think about that affect the quality of your lumber, that are not based on the felling skill. 1) if the tree has grown with abnormal internal stress (pith widely off center is one indicator once cut) or has twist but isnt a spiral grain species (oak isnt) and 2) how good of a job that is done by the sawyer in cutting, stickering and ultimately kiln drying your lumber. all of these things can seriously degrade the value of the result if done the wrong way, especially with oak which can experience significant degrade if dried too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the guy I am bringing it to is very experienced and would trust him more than anyone else around to take every precaution necessary.

IF you see any internal damage, it wasn't the fall that caused it.

I've dropped hundreds of big tree's for my sawmill, I've never yet had one damaged in the fall that didn't ALREADY have that internal damage...

And, as a retired cabinet maker, yes I do know the difference...

SR

Yes, good to know, that is basically what I am looking for.

Thank you.

Back