Felling poll - Have your say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you fell these palms?

• Total voters
I'm confuzed:dizzy:

Was that vid the group we are talking about/polling about?

Pulling out one at a time looked a little more time consuming, but a bit safer than group felling. Perhaps easier cleanup as well to not have the big mess to try and pull apart.

Couple things I have encountered taking down groups of trees. If you lasso them all and pull to tight, really changes the forces on the felling cut/hinge areas. Especially all those around the outside of the group.

If the hinges are not all aimed exactly in the same direction, some try to move to center and others try to move out of the group as they fall. Once I had group of honey locust stop about 20 degrees into fall, what a mess that turned into.

I took three 20' tops off of a codom spruce once, all three lined up perfectly and it was one of those "WISH I HAD A HELMET CAM" moments. Poetry in motion...I replay that little film loop in my head often. :)

Yes Randy they are the same. I should have posted both in the OP so everyone was on the same page. Like you, I believe there is a time and a place for felling multiple stems at the same time but next to houses, power lines and kids going to school definately isnt it!

You mean you were 20 foot up in harness?

You mean you were 20 foot up in harness?

I was actually around 30' up, and took off the top 20' of three leaders at the same time. They were all pretty intertwined, leaned just a little in the right direction, and the 5-7 mph breeze was also in the right direction. (I often 'save out' many jobs for wind in the right direction i.e. chip down wind/fell down wind) I was in 7 or 8 inch wood, made all 3 face cuts tied in to central leader (about 4' lean out to each side ), then just scooted around to other side of central, leaned out and made back cuts on both sides first till they just started to move forward, then back cut the middle and over they went. Wasn't all that risky or anything, just really cool to watch them float on down side by side. Harness? Almost forgot! Saddle/wire core flip line/friction saver by knees with climbing line threw and also connected to saddle via spliced eye & Grigri. Climb safe/do it again.

I can see why that one has stayed with you. I watch the weather carefully too. I will tell clients with large removals that we may need to change the date if the wind speed and direction are unsuitable. Really helps when the wind picks your prunings up and carries them to the truck!

Get Ekka to do it, he is great

Or this

attachment.php

Look at that. 88% of posters think safety is more important than profit. Looks like most professionals here are awake to just how unsafe your work practises really are Ekka.

Nice cartoon BTW. Not close to the truth of course but what else would anyone expect from a known twister of truth.

What am I missing?? :confused:

The OP removed some palms, ground them up, and got out of Dodge. . . Is the argument over speed of job completion??

Mildly amusing......

I get these by email from time to time. Be warned, you may laugh so hard you break something....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:ices_rofl:

holy crap thats funny, I wish I could REP it... I need a designated hitter please

What am I missing?? :confused:

The OP removed some palms, ground them up, and got out of Dodge. . . Is the argument over speed of job completion??

More or less Metals. The work was done in 4 hours safe and clean. Then someone jumped in and said it could be done in 2 hours. When pressed on how it could be done in half the time multiple felling with wedges was thrown in as an example. Reckless felling, especially near kids, houses and power lines is just not my style but I was curious as to how others felt. After this poll I know.

More or less Metals. The work was done in 4 hours safe and clean. Then someone jumped in and said it could be done in 2 hours. When pressed on how it could be done in half the time multiple felling with wedges was thrown in as an example. Reckless felling, especially near kids, houses and power lines is just not my style but I was curious as to how others felt. After this poll I know.

So the use of wedges is "reckless falling"???

incompetent jimdochack

attachment.php

This is the real comic, but Doc can't handle the truth.

And hears the proof, imagine advertising your business with a picture full of OH&S breaches, really now is this professional?

attachment.php

tsc..tsc.. doc, you and your lot seem incompetent to me. Just think these bozos are loose on the public.

Have a nice day.

And hears the proof, imagine advertising your business with a picture full of OH&S breaches, really now is this professional?

Imagine not being able to spell "here's". Really now is this professional?

You're right....he really doesn't deserve it. Bet his body guard GayD (he pronounces the G as a J pls note) will likely be around to straighten everybody out lol.

Back