Fellow Aussies Beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattCrowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well they have hit the market here hard, Chinese Stihls, bloody good ones, that good in fact that they have us buying them and then praising them up with positive feedbacks, First noticed these saws with a search for a 390, but now, when you know what to look for, they are everywhere and seem to have been for a while.

This guy is honest...well as honest as a guy selling fake brand name equipment can be...

stihl 038 magnum chainsaw, brand new | eBay

This guy is not...

NEW STIHL CHAINSAW 72cc MS 381 20" BAR | eBay

Hmmm, another fibber...

Stihl Farm Boss MS 290 Chainsaw 18" BRAND NEW | eBay

Woops, brand new genuine, no elatostart lable in the handle haha...

Stihl 311 59 cc chainsaw powerhead New | eBay

That should get your taste buds burning, if not, heres where it all begins...

Wholesale OC872A MS381 71.8CC 20/25"BAR GAS CHAINSAW FREE SHIPPING

So many different models to choose from...

I know there isn't too many of you that would buy a new saw off ebay, but there is plenty of you that may buy a saw secondhand cheap from a guy who did...keep an eye out.

Theres been a few threads about this in the recent past, and most of the knockoff ID methods have been covered. Some members have knowingly bought these saws and found them to be not all bad, especially for the money. Most of the parts and plastics are interchangeable with genuine, so they make good parts saws. I know a couple of dealers are buying them and stripping them down and selling them as non genuine replacement parts.

Theres quite a few knockoff huskys out there too. MCW bought one, and found it wasnt all bad.

The whole issue generated a bit of controversy, my take on it is that I don't mind the knockoffs at all, as long as they are sold as copies and priced accordingly. Thankfully, even the people trying to pass them off as real are selling them cheap enough that you cant complain. Some guys get upset by the whole issue though.

Shaun

makes me wonder how those can be sold or manufactured as a stihl,,, does make me wonder also if the dealers in the U.S. are selling knock offs to people at the price of a real stihls

The 290 and 311 are genuine from what I can see/make out and are imported from the US AFAIK. I am familiar with the sellers also. However, the 038/380/381 models advertised on ebay at low prices are mostly fake.

Other fake models to keep an eye out for are husky, 353/365/372, stihl 170/260/360 and a few more.

Does Stihl just not give a flip about this situation? How the heck do they even get imported?

Patents run out of date and are no longer protected. The Chinese excel at making knock offs, and the grey market is everywhere, and like bringing stuff like this into the US and elsewhere.

I wouldn't buy one no matter what the cost. craaaaaaaaaaaapp..

Well they have hit the market here hard, Chinese Stihls, bloody good ones, that good in fact that they have us buying them and then praising them up with positive feedbacks, First noticed these saws with a search for a 390, but now, when you know what to look for, they are everywhere and seem to have been for a while.

This guy is honest...well as honest as a guy selling fake brand name equipment can be...

stihl 038 magnum chainsaw, brand new | eBay

This guy is not...

NEW STIHL CHAINSAW 72cc MS 381 20" BAR | eBay

Hmmm, another fibber...

Stihl Farm Boss MS 290 Chainsaw 18" BRAND NEW | eBay

Woops, brand new genuine, no elatostart lable in the handle haha...

Stihl 311 59 cc chainsaw powerhead New | eBay

So many different models to choose from...

I know there isn't too many of you that would buy a new saw off ebay, but there is plenty of you that may buy a saw secondhand cheap from a guy who did...keep an eye out.

Wow.. looking at them they do look pretty genuine.

This guy is pretty up front though..

Place of Origin:Zhejiang China (Mainland)

12.Guide bar: China solid tip bar

-- bar also says Made in China in one picture. Nowhere on saw does it say Stihl that I can see in pictures.

Also brand name Stihl missing from bar side of saw.. and MS 381 on two lines on left side of saw.. Stihl would have their name with model # below it on single line if they follow all other models.

But to the uninformed.. easy to get caught.

Wonder how they actually perform or stand up.

Speaking of MCW, where's that video of where he tried to blow up a chi com Stihl? I love that video... and I loved his post on how the experience was with that thing screaming its tits off at over 16,000 rpm... :popcorn:

Fun test video to watch (presumably by STIHL?) - destructive / near destructive testing to show the difference in quality. Not that most of us would stress a saw that far:

[video=youtube_share;v6GAssS-v2k]http://youtu.be/v6GAssS-v2k[/video]

Philbert

so which one is fake? :laugh::laugh:

'Pole Chainsaw'

Notice the special deal on shipping!

($164.95 for the saw, $275.66 shipping) Only $100 less than the real thing with a warranty!

Philbert

attachment.php

When i worked in my buddies stilh dealership the fakes have a slightly different orange color and on the saw they have no stihl part numbers visible on the plastics.

Back