Fencerow Tag Team

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
hurt

As promised, here are a couple of pictures that I took of one of our hawthorn trees.

042408_12571.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the thorns.

042408_12581-1.jpg

That would hurt like a MF'er if you get it in you. I had a 1 inch long locust thorn in my leg once......I had to dig it out with a knife. And yes I was clearing. It's them little locusts that are the SOB's. BTW, usually my clearing crew is my PP220 and 440 if there is any big stuff.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

mysawmyrules

mysawmyrules

ArboristSite Operative
I honestly do not belive in shouting but I just have to.

DO NOT FORGET THE TORDON USE IT OR REPEAT YOUR WORK.

Bill
+1 on that only takes a year or so up here and the willow and poplar takes over.

On another note when I get really tired of throwing chains or generally beating myself up with fence row clearing we have a D85 A Komatsu that has never said no, salvage what I can and pile the rest.
Jon W

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lol

+1 on that only takes a year or so up here and the willow and poplar takes over.

On another note when I get really tired of throwing chains or generally beating myself up with fence row clearing we have a D85 A Komatsu that has never said no, salvage what I can and pile the rest.
Jon W

LOL......If you got the equipment use it.....that's the way I love to do it.......lololol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King

Jon W

Here it is a Case 550 and a 1450 when needed and a few others but they are a bit tough on posts. They are quick though. The same still applies though. Even if you grub it out with a crawler or a hoe there will still be regrowth.

Bill

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Agreed. I've been amazed at how much abuse the tri-blades can take and still cut nicely. I've hit all kinds of crap - steel, concrete, tombstones (oops, sorry), and barbed wire - and they just keep on going. Granted they won't cut the same woody stuff as a true CS blade, but they do a damned good job on lighter woody (ailanthus, sumac) species up to 2" with the right touch.

I nearly lost an eye a few years back using a brushcutter with a saw blade, while trimming small stuff along a fence row. I'd hit a small twig stump twice, chopping off a little part that hit my face just below the eye, causing a deep cut. thankfull for being lucky, I never used the brushcutter again without face protection.
Those pics brought the whole story back...

ScoutmasterRick

ScoutmasterRick

ArboristSite Operative
I nearly lost an eye a few years back using a brushcutter with a saw blade, while trimming small stuff along a fence row. I'd hit a small twig stump twice, chopping off a little part that hit my face just below the eye, causing a deep cut. thankfull for being lucky, I never used the brushcutter again without face protection.
Those pics brought the whole story back...

The 3 bladed brush knife is really bad to fling stuff back. I've had wood chips and rocks come back hard enough to draw blood. I don't know if it shows up well in the first picture I posted, but I have my peltor hat on the bars of the 250. I actually get more use out of the face shield using the brushcutter than I do with the saw. And I always wear safety glasses underneath the mask too. The shield also helps working in the tall briars and rose thickets. I had a rose vine hit my face and split my lip open earlier this spring.

2dogs

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I run a FS180 that I bought new around 1991 with a 3 blade brush knife or sometimes a clearing blade with a stop. A few years ago I was cutting brush about 5' from the wall of a stucco house and the blade kicked up a rock. It hit the house and bounced off and hit me on the side of my head just behind the face shield and right below the brim. I had to stop cutting and recover for a few minutes, felt like my wife smacked me with the buckle end of a belt.

I too wear safety glasses and a face shield.

Latest posts