Fertilizer for.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My father in law has some young trees he wants fertilized. Problem is he is over an hour outside our coverage area.

He has:
Apple trees
Smoke Bushes
Olive (Russian?)
Japanese Maple
Dwarf Alberta Spruces

Can I just throw some Plant tone on these? And if so how much? They are all about the same size, 10-12" high and the largest being 3" diameter.

My father in law has some young trees he wants fertilized. Problem is he is over an hour outside our coverage area.

He has:
Apple trees
Smoke Bushes
Olive (Russian?)
Japanese Maple
Dwarf Alberta Spruces

Can I just throw some Plant tone on these? And if so how much? They are all about the same size, 10-12" high and the largest being 3" diameter.

Plant tone? ESPOMA? Probably no problem. Follow directions or simply throw out a few handfuls per tree. With an organic base fertilizer I don't anticipate any problems with winter damage to plant tissue that has not hardend off.
With heavy applications of a typical high nitrogen fertilizer you might see some, especially with apple trees.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4107/is_200311/ai_n9339175

Yes by Espoma. Is there a better product out there for these trees?

I plan on pruning them in the next few weeks also.

Fertilizing Russian Olives and Smoke bushes is like taking a shower w/a raincoat on. They can go well and fast in about any soil conditions. The jap Maples and alberta spruces would benefit from fert though, a 3 -1-2 ratio @ about 1 lb per thousand sq. ft. would work. OSU says it takes more than 6 lbs. per thousand to affect growth habit. go to the Plant Health Care website for more info, they have good tree fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back