Few questions on a Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab73

Reaction score
Hello guys,

After a few weeks of reading a lot of interesting things on thar forum, it was my time to sign up to get some help on a 044 I just bought a month ago…

So this is a 1990 model from Germany (I live in France), so I believe this is a 10mm… (S/N : 122777663) ?

It just runs fine and it’s fully stock, but like many people here it feels like it could be more powerful with a few tweaks…

it has a single port exhaust with that small hole, and the early style air filter (see pic attached), so my plan was to fit an oem style dual port exhaust and a HD2 filter….

But I just figured out that I need to swap the whole air filter mount, along with the flange I guess ?
Does the stock filter cover will fit or I need a bigger one to fit the filter…?

Thanks for your help !!

Attachments

• 1723B913-F0CB-4C60-986D-3CDF9BC871CD.jpeg
    1723B913-F0CB-4C60-986D-3CDF9BC871CD.jpeg
    966.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1FB1865E-D5C5-4811-A36F-81F915BECFAF.jpeg
    1FB1865E-D5C5-4811-A36F-81F915BECFAF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I forgot to mention the previous owner did change piston and rings last year, as he found it was missing some power, so I should be safe with that…I think it’s been serviced as necessary and doesn’t have so many hours of use imo, people here don’t make mods to their chainsaw so that’s why it’s fully stock… ;)

so far on my shopping list :
- HD2 Air filter
- Air filter mount
- Air filter flange
- OEM complete Dual port exhaust
- exhaust seal

Got some dawg spikes on the way too as the stock ones are fairly useless…
- exhaust seal

There are online IPL's (Illustrated Parts Lists) for this series of saws online and I am not sure I can link them here direct, but they are excellent at showing the parts and the order in which they are fitted to the saw.
An IPL for the 044 should show both the old and new style of air filter and which parts you need to make the exchange, plus part numbers for ordering those parts.

Previous owner might have replace rings that were burned up in a lean situation- so when replacing the exhaust, look at the piston, if it is ripped up, you might have transfer on the cylinder that is doing you no good at all.

Once you swap filters and exhausts, you are going to have to retune the saw to the new modifications.
By the way, some dealers might try to tell you there is or was no 044 dual port muffler- ask them for an 046 one then.

EDIT: sorry you said previous owner replaced piston and rings- so you may not know why or if there is transfer in the cylinder unless you remove the cylinder.

Thanks for the help, obviously some carb tuning will be needed !
I found some IPL on this forum, seems like I have the proprr shipping list to upgrade my old 044 with a new air box and exhaust…

Bob what do you mean by transfer in cylinder ? Not sur I do understand what you are talking about…?

Bob what do you mean by transfer in cylinder ? Not sur I do understand what you are talking about…?
It's what happens when the piston gets too hot, it transfers material from the piston onto the cylinder walls.
Many people will just change the P&C when they have this problem thinking that they wore out. But what typically causes this is a lean condition or straight gassing a saw. Lean conditions can be; improperly tuned saw, or an air leak at any number of places such as the crank seals or a torn intake boot. Another cause can be overheating from running a chain that was not properly sharpened, but that isn't the norm.
Looks to be a good looking saw from what I can see in the pictures.

Salut! I own an 044 (92) brought brand new in 1993. Used mainly for logging fire wood and cutting trees. I just replaced the original filter (flack artic) with a HD2 style. I ordered the intake cover and air filter fastener plus the filter cover from farmertec. Everything fits Ok but I had to shave inside the cover for a closer fit to the front cover (space = to the original). Now I'm waiting for a tach to retune the carburator. I notice that the toggle doesn't release as it shoul be once the trigger is skweesed in the 1/2 choke position. Maybe another fiiting adjustement to do. The chain saw was sitting for at least 5 years and it started like it was only yesterday. Good performance easy to start easy to run.

I forgot to mention the previous owner did change piston and rings last year, as he found it was missing some power, so I should be safe with that…I think it’s been serviced as necessary and doesn’t have so many hours of use imo, people here don’t make mods to their chainsaw so that’s why it’s fully stock… ;)

so far on my shopping list :
- HD2 Air filter
- Air filter mount
- Air filter flange
- OEM complete Dual port exhaust
- exhaust seal

Got some dawg spikes on the way too as the stock ones are fairly useless…
- exhaust seal
If you can't find a oem dual port
I put a aftermarket one
on a customer's 044
It was really well made and only 12.00 usd

I just ordered a dual port muffler OEM (Pro Line) and Walbro HD-17 carb. I'll be putting each one after the other and tuning the 044 for improvement at each step. The new carb will be the last one to be replaced. I intend to fit the cover from the HD17 onto the metering diaphragm of the original carb which doesn't have a conduit that fits in the intake from the air filter. I have plenty of maple wood to log for the next winter. If this season is what's to come, we are heading in to an ice age cycle...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-24 à 18.48.56.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back