Fiber glass pole pruner, wobbly....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guran

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a fiber glass pole pruner, 14 feet long (4 meter) and I just tried it and was a bit disappointed that it was so wobbly. It was really hard to put any pressure on the pruning saw because the pole was so "wobbly". Is this just how it is? Should I go for a aluminum pole instead? Thanks for any input.

what brand poles are they... jameson and marvin poles are industry standard and will without doubt get the job done. If you bought some POS no name brand then you got what you payed for.

yeah, i use jameson, they really arent wobbly till i stack 3, which i rarely do
mine are the filled core type fiberglass hot sticks
aluminum is a great conductor

I have a 16' fiberglass pole, but it's actually pretty stable even extended all the way out. A bit heavy if you're reaching out far from vertical, but solid enough to get the job done.

It's a Corona BTW.

I have a 16' fiberglass pole, but it's actually pretty stable even extended all the way out. A bit heavy if you're reaching out far from vertical, but solid enough to get the job done.

It's a Corona BTW.

Corona = POS stay away from it. I real fiberglass pole set is cheap dont buy junk.

got a slew of Jamison poles. mostly 6ft with a few 4ft and 8ft filled poles.
and yes it really is worth investing in quality gear.

3x 6ft poles + blade assembly = 20-21ft
adding a forth makes entire setup pretty flexy.
a fifth pole is really hard to control.

Corona = POS stay away from it. I real fiberglass pole set is cheap dont buy junk.

The one I have is pretty well built. I wouldn't call it junk. I've had more expensive poles that didn't last long at all.

It has the same blade as the more expensive poles(like tree pig is trying to sell), with a 3X lopper, and far as I can tell it's just as well made.

I wish it were about half the weight it is, but still it's not that heavy.

core filled

We just got some core filled jameson (i think, they may be marvin) poles with a double-pully lopper setup. They seem to be stiffer than the hollow ones. We typically use 2 6ft sections and they usually do really well. A little more pricey but they are worth the money, plus if I remember right they're individually tested to 100kv. I've had fiskars, corona, etc, but the high end core filled poles seem to be alot more effective for me.

I have the Stihl PP 800 pole and PS 80 saw its just like the Silky Hayauchi but unlike the Silky you can get a pruner head for it.

what brand poles are they... jameson and marvin poles are industry standard and will without doubt get the job done. If you bought some POS no name brand then you got what you payed for.

Thanks for all input. Yes, I supose I have gotten what I've paid for. This is a no name telescopic pole.
Are there solid/filled poles that are telescopic? Or do these come in sections only?
Or are there any hollow telescopic poles that are just as sturdy/rigid as the filled ones?

Thanks for all input. Yes, I supose I have gotten what I've paid for. This is a no name telescopic pole.
Are there solid/filled poles that are telescopic? Or do these come in sections only?
Or are there any hollow telescopic poles that are just as sturdy/rigid as the filled ones?
How could you make a filled pole saw telescope unless only the innermost section was filled?

I'm wanting fiberglass for trimming around service drops at the 5 houses I maintain. Is the Silky Todoku Fiberglass Pole Saw worth $430? Of course they have a CYA warning on it of
DANGER! RISK OF ELECTROCUTION! DO NOT USE THIS FIBERGLASS POLE SAW WITHIN 50 FEET (15 METERS) OF POWER LINES OR ELECTRICAL WIRES.

When I get 50' away I don't need the fiberglass.

I just bought a fiber glass pole pruner, 14 feet long (4 meter) and I just tried it and was a bit disappointed that it was so wobbly. It was really hard to put any pressure on the pruning saw because the pole was so "wobbly". Is this just how it is? Should I go for a aluminum pole instead? Thanks for any input.

Stay away from aluminum it can get someone killed!:mad:

I have one of the heavier-duty, Corona 14' telescoping pole saws at home, and some of the fiberglass sectional poles in the work trailer.

Pretty much agree with the comments above, especially with troythetreeman about a sharp saw. I can work with some flex in the pole if the saw is really biting through the wood. The telescoping feature is nice for storage, and to get a custom length/height.

The sectional poles are stiffer, but heavier, and allow you to fit some of the higher quality saws. I like a curved saw blade with a hook at the end to help keep it in the cut.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back