Field First aid kit - what do you carry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, not so much a chainsaw specific question, but related, and hopefully this question will get some eyeballs and answers.

I think all fallers are required to carry a first aid kit, in case of an accident out in the field. In reality the radio is the best help you've got, but I am wondering what everyone brings with them?

I keep a deluxe, universal kit in my truck and I take a small (and I do mean small) first aid kit with me, but I'm not bringing anything like Israeli battle bandages or clotting sponges. I don't anticipate the worst, more like the little things. Based off my experience, my first aid kit for chainsaw work has

1) J&J fabric band aids. Because I once shredded a finger pulling a chain while sharpening (and I hate plastic band aids)

2) Styptic pen/powder, because sometimes the bandaid doesn't stop the bleeding

3) bottle of saline eye flush solution. Because I really hate it if I get something in my eye.

4) pair of tweezers. Because I've gotten a few splinters and bee stings.

5) ibuprofen, because I'm not 25 anymore.

And that's it. I either keep it in a belt pack on me or in my backpack near by where I'm working. It's enough to get me through at least until I get back to the truck for my bigger first aid kit, or my house to fix whatever needs serious fixing. Hopefully I don't do anything that needs a tourniquet!

Now, if you have a field first aid kit, tell me what's in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of 'Ace' bandages that I keep in my wood cutting kit. If I should get a nasty cut, I can slap some toilet paper over the cut and use the bandage to hold it all together until I get some place for help. The bandages also can be used for a snake bite. A tight elastic bandage helps keep the poison from shifting from the point of the bite. I can also use the bandages to immobilize a sprained ankle, wrist or to help hold a splint in place. They don't take up much room, and I've used them before in an emergency - like splinting a broken leg on a good looking young lady that crashed her motorcycle. A bit of first aid/Boy Scouts training can go a long way to get the most out of what's available.

I also have a some simple elastic bandages for when I nick my fingers and don't want to bleed all over my equipment.

Probably similar to Terry's ace bandage - I carry a self adhering bandage, but I buy cheap ones from the fodder supplies. They are marketed to the horsie people.
It does double duty for snake bite and cuts.

most dealers will have little first aid kits to put on wedge belts. that's what i use and bring extra pressure dressing. i realize alot of people don't wear a belt nor do they want a first aid kit hanging off of it but if it ever comes handy i got it right there. doesn' get in the way at all. just put it at my backside with the fire extinguisher .

Bandanna and electrical tape.first aid kits get in my way and usually roll around in the truck and get unsterile.
A boy that works for my buddy said the other day he needed some neosporin for a scratch.:laugh: i told him that was like askin for vagasil.:laughing:

Your thoughts on this.... A sawyers first aid kit should include a tourniquet.

no requirement for a tourniquet here and it's actually discouraged. if your bleeding bad enough on the hill out here you'll likely die tourniquet or not. tourniquet is also a sure fire way to lose a limb. even our first aid courses say only as a last resort and more times then not putting pressure directly over the wound is just as good.

Sams club does have great deals on big first aid kits.they include asprin, Tylenol and antacid.
Vet wrap also comes in handy for covering gauze or holding compression on cuts, sprains and breaks.

First aid stats are really depressing. They teach CPR, but the stats on resuscitating someone whose heart has stopped are not very good. I think major wounds are probably the same in that if you cut the wrong artery it just don't matter what you do if you are far from help. I know with what first aid knowledge I have, I would choose risking losing a leg and use a pressure bandage/belt/tourniquet etc. What is the rationale against tourniquets?

My thoughts on tourniquets are that if you are losing so much blood you are considering cutting off ALL blood flow to that limb, you are in a world of trouble. At that point it isn't the tourniquet that is going to save your life, it's your buddy, your radio, or as Brad said your cell phone and some EMTs that will save you.

Hence why my first aid kit is for the smaller things that slow me down (splinter, scrape, debris in my eye) and anything that really slows me down or stops me from work I am going to the truck/house for some serious help. I have neosporin in the deluxe first aid kit in the truck, but I generally don't mess with it until I get home, wash out my cuts and re-dress the bandage at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry the same blow out kit I take to the gun range and yes it contains an Israeli dressing, compressed gauze, clotting agent, tourniquet, as well as most of the lesser items others have mentioned above for boo boos

I know how to use it all and since it is in a handy and compact pouch why not carry it

I toss it in my milk crate with the wedges and gas and other gear

I wear full Labonville chaps and other protective gear but sh!t happens and I have had a gunshot wound in the past

It is amazing how fast you can bleed out when something like a femoral artery gets nicked or punctured

I have notieced over the years that anywhere that features chainsaws and downed wood generally contains sharp pointy sticks at bad angles that you dont see until you trip or fall, despite being cautious

Your mileage may vary

Michael

Long as you don't cut your femoral artery a torniqet can save your life.

Back