file off rakers completly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graffit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father told me a story a couple of years back about a guy he logged with up in nother Idaho in the early 70's. He said that this guy would file the chain rakers off completly and suposedly the saw would rip through anything in no time at all. he couldnt remember what kind of chain he used. what are your thoughts and has anyone heard or tried this ever? I dont want to wast a good chain on old man folk lore but thought it would be a good thread.

I used to work with "Mr. know it-all" and he figured that if he filed all the rakers off, the saw would cut faster than everyone elses. It was hilarious watching him try to control the saw once it hit the wood. That thing would just about pull itself out of his hands. He finally gave up after just about killing himself. He had an embarrassed look on his face but never did admit that he was wrong.

My father told me a story a couple of years back about a guy he logged with up in nother Idaho in the early 70's. He said that this guy would file the chain rakers off completly and suposedly the saw would rip through anything in no time at all. he couldnt remember what kind of chain he used. what are your thoughts and has anyone heard or tried this ever? I dont want to wast a good chain on old man folk lore but thought it would be a good thread.

Don't do it.

Or...take an old chain, one that's ready to replace anyway, and file the rakers off. Run it. You'll never want to do it again.

Didn't really want to try it just wanted to see if anyone had! all your threads were about what i was thinking in the first place DANGEROUS AS HELL! I could see that the saw would be out of control.

No lone wolf never have heard of kick back maybe you should start a thread to explain to people what it is!!!!! just messing with you.

I think your situation is like any other story, some guy was probably good at setting raker height and his saw cut well, over time the story got bigger till finally there were no rakers left in it. Sounds like any other story, guy sprains his ankle and twenty people down the line it is a compound fracture.

Just takin the rakers down further than they should be will make the saw buck and chatter enough to know something's not right. I did it on the Jonny and while I was cutting on a big log it bucked enough to trip the break, quickly fixed that. Keeping everything nice and even makes for smooth and safe cutting.

Didn't really want to try it just wanted to see if anyone had! all your threads were about what i was thinking in the first place DANGEROUS AS HELL! I could see that the saw would be out of control.

No lone wolf never have heard of kick back maybe you should start a thread to explain to people what it is!!!!! just messing with you.

:msp_angry::msp_angry::msp_angry:

I filed some rakers a little low and was ready for the aggressive cut, it was the chattering and hammering of my bar in the wood that made me stop in less than one cut! :bang:

I had to grind a BUNCH of the cutter tooth off to bring that chain around to acting civilized.

I couldn't imagine what kind of damage that chattering/hammering would do to the clutch/sprockets/chainsaw.

No more "experimenting" with rakers for me,,,now that "GTG Race Chain" thread has sure got me curious,,,,:monkey:

Used to run tow truck and had to retreve riggs out of lake ice now and then. Took a chain for my blue case Super XL and ground the rakers off. Cut ice like gang busters but never put it to wood.
Rod in Wasilla

Back