Files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATHRBCUTN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, and I am sure it's been asked before by someone, but I couldn't find what I want searching. So here it goes.

How does one know what size file to use for each chain. Is there a chart of some sort, is each chain manufacture the same, what about round versus square ground. I think I have always used the right file? Is there some sort of general rule that says 3/8 using this size and 365 uses this.

Typically, 3/8 and .404 chains use 7/32" files. Most .325 chains use 3/16" files, but some .325 chains with smaller cutters may use 4.5mm files. 3/8 Lo-Pro chains almost always use 5/32" files. The best thing to do is either consult the chain manufacturer (most publish it right on the box) or ask the dealer if you have any doubt.

Thanks guys, that clears it up.

LOL...I can just hear the frustrated sarcasm in that statement. Don't feel alone. It's sort of like someone explaining when to hit and when to hold while playing blackjack. ALWAYS hold if you have ##.....UNLESS the dealer has ## or ##. :dizzy: I might as well just flip a coin.

There is just too many variables in the world these days to be able to answer anything with a solid answer. I think that may be why these websites are so popular.

Hang in there and don't forget to label those files once you figure out what chain they go to or you'll be standing in the woods scratching your head again.

happy cutting

Latest posts

Back