Filing Down New Oregon Rakers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I just got me a really nice Stihl 25" bar for my MS460. A logger friend tossed it in the scrap pile because he grenade the tip and he said I could have it because it was not worth his time to put a new tip on it. $18 bucks plus shipping and a couple days later, I have a really nice 25" Stihl bar. I bought 2 new Oregon LGX chains (single raker), they showed up today. I am in central Pa., all the wood I will be cutting is good 'ol Pa. hardwood.

How many licks off the top of the rakers with the flat file do you think I should start with?

The saw is a Stihl MS460.

I use a depth gauge on mine, and I've found out of the box LGX to be inconsistent. The gauge is a constant, and on a brand new loop, some rakers will take 3 swipes, and some the file doesn't even touch.
Don't know the height I set it to though. It's a husky roller file guide.

I use a depth gauge on mine, and I've found out of the box LGX to be inconsistent. The gauge is a constant, and on a brand new loop, some rakers will take 3 swipes, and some the file doesn't even touch.
Don't know the height I set it to though. It's a husky roller file guide.
that is a handy tool! way better than a strait edge and feeler gauge for a work chain :)

that is a handy tool! way better than a strait edge and feeler gauge for work chain
Yes it is. Sets the raker to each corresponding tooth, so cutter length is not that critical to cutting straight.
I freehand file now, that roller gauge gave me the correct muscle memory, trained me to file right. But I still use the depth gauge on it to file the rakers.

i ran into that inconsistent raker problem when i got a hold of some 91vx chain never had the problem with lgx.
always good to check before running the chain.

So I just got me a really nice Stihl 25" bar for my MS460. A logger friend tossed it in the scrap pile because he grenade the tip and he said I could have it because it was not worth his time to put a new tip on it. $18 bucks plus shipping and a couple days later, I have a really nice 25" Stihl bar. I bought 2 new Oregon LGX chains (single raker), they showed up today. I am in central Pa., all the wood I will be cutting is good 'ol Pa. hardwood.

How many licks off the top of the rakers with the flat file do you think I should start with?

The saw is a Stihl MS460.
file them down to 0.20 and hold on tight it will work you like a good woman in bed.

if your cutting hardwood leave the rakers at the stock .025". i lower mine to .030 right out of the box but i cut soft wood.

Latest posts

Back