fill stress crack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panic101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a 40 ft swamp maple that has been trimmed and cabled to take some stress off of a small stress crack at the main y. is there any product out there i can fill the crack in with? a puddy or organic caulking or something. the crack is tiny but i dont want water or insects to get in...
thanks for your help-

The best thing for sealing cracks has generally been found to be tincture of time. Given the opportunity, trees will generally seal a wound on their own.

Anything you put there will be a hindrance, not a help. Water and bugs will defeat any sealant you put there, anyway.

The best thing for sealing cracks has generally been found to be tincture of time. Given the opportunity, trees will generally seal a wound on their own.

Anything you put there will be a hindrance, not a help. Water and bugs will defeat any sealant you put there, anyway.

Can't say it any better than that:clap::clap:

The tincture of time. I am going to have to fit that into my speil. :clap:

Last edited:
I would love to say that I invented that catchy little phrase, but I didn't. That was passed down to me by my father.
Wise man; what was his profession?

Split Y's are better braced than cabled. The action of screwing in the nuts often closes the crack, while cables above can actually enlarge it as the tree moves.

What % of the crown was removed? got a pic?

He was a contractor. He built homes, subdivisions, etc. He was not particularly wise, however: he unwisely thought that there was a future in mobil home parks, and set out to build improved spacious lots for permanent owners. It didn't turn out too well, especially given his poor business skills.

But he was good at catchy sayings! Another favorite of his: "Figures don't lie, but Liars sure do figure"

BTW: I didn't know that about bracing split crotches. I have always believed that to be the weaker of two solutions. Perhaps a brace with supplemental cables done not too tight? (Ideally)

Last edited:
Massive torque applied from very long levers (the branches high overhead) onto a second class lever with a very short distance to the fulcrum, installed into an area of compromised strength (probably).

Even if the wood retains all its structural integrity at the time of installation, the very act of drilling the holes will increase the probability of decay. Cables mounted higher in the tree have all the same decay & fatigue considerations, but they are holding the split tree from a position of mechanical advantage, so they under mere fractions of the same extremes of pressure and force as a brace mounted much lower in the tree.

I can see how some splits would be much better served by a brace rod than cables, particularly for younger and smaller injuries. I had never considered the gain of eliminating friction at the split, so you have improved my appreciation of bracing.

Quite frankly, I have never installed a brace rod, nor have I ever encountered an installation. Even cabling is not a terribly popular option around here. For most of my customers, big shade trees are considered more a liability to remove than a valuable feature to save. So by the time they need fixing, I usually get a call to provide an instant and permanent cure for a split trunk.

"Even if the wood retains all its structural integrity at the time of installation, the very act of drilling the holes will increase the probability of decay. Cables mounted higher in the tree have all the same decay & fatigue considerations, but they are holding the split tree from a position of mechanical advantage, so they under mere fractions of the same extremes of pressure and force as a brace mounted much lower in the tree.

But brace rods are so much thicker--never seen one break.

"I can see how some splits would be much better served by a brace rod than cables, particularly for younger and smaller injuries. I had never considered the gain of eliminating friction at the split, so you have improved my appreciation of bracing.

Buy the BMP and it will be improved a hundredfold/

"Quite frankly, I have never installed a brace rod, nor have I ever encountered an installation.

Hope your chainsaw never does!

" Even cabling is not a terribly popular option around here. For most of my customers, big shade trees are considered more a liability to remove than a valuable feature to save. So by the time they need fixing, I usually get a call to provide an instant and permanent cure for a split trunk.

Sounds like an arboricultural wasteland, dying for good news about the value of trees and the arborists who care for them. Repair and care are first in my clients' minds; removal is a last resort.

Sounds like an arboricultural wasteland, dying for good news about the value of trees and the arborists who care for them. ...

Well...almost. There are no early signs of anybody around here looking for an arborist. I haven't sent out my chipper truck for a week now.

Looking pretty grim...

Did anyone mention removals?

The problem is not what I am selling (or not selling). It is that nobody seems to be buying.

Anything.

I guess you have been too busy protecting all the trees from hacks like me to notice that the economy is down.

thanks pdqdl and everyone else for the advice, i will just keep an eye on it and let her heal,
thanks again... this forums great...
andy:cheers:

pdqdl - the removal is a little beyond me, and the tree supplies a lot of shade so i was just trying to preserve it, thats all.. the crack isnt too bad i just dont want it get worse,.thanks for everyones help...

Latest posts

Back