Finally a scrounge score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vwboomer

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
One of the foremen at work asked me if I was still looking for wood. I replied that I'm still breathing, right? He had a tree service scheduled to come in Friday to take down 4 'big' trees. 3 ash, 1 beech, all between 40-70ft.
normally round here people want to give you their willow or other junk. After you cut it down!

He said it's between me n another guy who gets how much. I find out today the other guy doesn't care if I take it all.
After two trailer loads and about 4 hours of cutting and hauling, I got this

0321091514.jpg

Everything in front of the split/stacked stuff. And that's about 1/4 or less of what I'm hauling out:jawdrop:
As we were walking around the yard, he says "and if you want to practice felling, there are two ironwoods there, and an oak in the back." The oak is about 14" dbh, while the ironwoods are about 4 and 6".

The beech is starting to rot as they tend to do, but should still burn nice. That's about 30" at the base and 60' long.
Wow. Sometimes the sun shines even on MY arse!:greenchainsaw:

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
Everything in front of the split/stacked stuff. And that's about 1/4 or less of what I'm hauling out:jawdrop:
As we were walking around the yard, he says "and if you want to practice felling, there are two ironwoods there, and an oak in the back." The oak is about 14" dbh, while the ironwoods are about 4 and 6".

The beech is starting to rot as they tend to do, but should still burn nice. That's about 30" at the base and 60' long.
Wow. Sometimes the sun shines even on MY arse!:greenchainsaw:

Nice score!!
Isn't ironwood the type of wood that sparks when you cut it because of the high metal content? Must be hard on chains? Seen a few trees like that, but they were in a no, no cutting zone.

LTREES

LTREES

ArboristSite Operative
Nice find VW, don't want to one up ya but I too fell into it.:clap: My buddy calls me and ask if I wanted some of his neighbor's wood. (He was asked to push it off into the woods). I'll go look at it, took my cousin and a saw with the dump. I pulled out 2 stacked dump loads, 2 dual axle trailer loads (18'), and a p/u load. All = about 6-7 cord. I'm tired, did it in 4 days after work. Got to stack it all, not too much to split for the CB, try to get a pic out your way.

LT...:greenchainsaw:

Scootermsp

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Hickory

I've got a big Hickory tree in front of my house that I'm taking down tommorow. It's a nice tree but the whole crown broke off in our December ice storm. I'm sad about having to take it down but on the bright side it will give me over a cord of Hickory:clap:for next winter. I'll post some pics here tomm.

Larry Ashcraft

Larry Ashcraft

ArboristSite Operative
Must be nice. A friend and I spent a couple hours today blocking up about three cords of cottonwood. We have some ash trees on the place, but one that size here would be be over 100 years old!

vwboomer

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Believe me this is the first easy to get at free wood I've gotten. The other free wood is on a steep slope about 150 yards away from a road and is a heck of a lot of work without a nice long winch. Try wheeling 24" oak rounds up a hill then down the other side ;)

I've never burned ironwood but if he wants it down I'll do what I can to drop em. I hear it's real nice.
Today I'm off to look at a trailer. $500 for a 6x10 tandem axle with 8klb springs. Electric brakes that aren't wired in so who knows if they'll work, and it needs a new deck. I should be able to haul more wood with that than I can with the 6x13 single axle I'm borrowing now. The current one has a diamond plate deck but the axle is the weak point - I don't know what it's from, and the tires are standard car tires.

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
That's the way you do it. Let as many people you know aware of the fact that you're always up to make their unwanted wood disappear. :clap:

A tree here, a downed limb there. Before you know it, you've got a pretty good warchest built up.

vwboomer

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
I called someone about 20 min away this afternoon replying to an add for free wood. The email said "more than you could ever burn" lol um hm.
It was logged, and there's a lot of tops I guess. A couple people have already started on it but she said there's a lot. Going out there saturday.

I really wish I had less buildings and more stacking space on my lot. i might end up stacking it in the shed for now.

Gotta get it when you can for free.