Finally after all these years....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedge

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got to drive my first skid steer nearly 30 yrs ago and I promised myself that someday I would own one. Finally that someday came....
SkidSteerT-190-3.jpg

Now all I need is to get some more attatchments to make it more usefull... :cheers: I did get a bucket and a set of forks with it but need to get a grapple put together for it. It's an 05 and only has 120 hrs on it.
Notice the grin on the operators (my son Cody's) face. Guess I won't get to run it ....:laugh:
SkidSteerT-190-4.jpg

Nice !

My FIL bought an older wheeled Bobcat about five years ago. Its amazing how many tasks they are really good at. :cheers:

Nice. Those things will git-er-done. :clap:

You will find it is handier than you ever thought. My Dad bought one ten years ago from a guy needed to get rid of real bad. (Sold it for what he owed) Dad was going to buy it and then sell it. Found out it was way to handy to get rid of and still gets parked in his machine shed :D

I did some checking on the tracks before I bought it and :dizzy: they are plenty expensive for sure. A friend of mine has an S-300 and it has tires with the grouser tracks on it. In comparison to this one by the time you figure the cost of the tires, possibly having them filled and the tracks themselves the track machines don't seem so bad. Don't get me wrong I pray that I never rip up a track and have to replace it but from what I have been able to learn they seem to be comparable to the durablility of tires. I have to admit I never thougth I would get a chance at a machine like this one but even a blind squirrel get a nut once in a while.....:clap: I kind of had the inside track on this one as it was previously owned by my uncle who buys/sells/ trades equipment just because he likes to. He bought this new and used it some and decide he wanted a 90 hp Kubota tractor so he traded it off for it. I know that the 190 stayed on the lot this long mostly because people thought an 05 with only 120hrs on it something was wrong with it. I on the other hand new better and twisted the bankers arm hard to get it. I hope it lives up to my high expectations. I have a ton of projects for it and as soon as I get a couple attatchmets made I am going to get after it. I hope to use it for a little custom work to help justify it.....:cheers:

Versatile and manuverable makes the skid steer a great machine. Good luck with it.

Nice machine,the 190 is a good sized machine,not to big to move around,but big enough to do good sized jobs,and lift most full pallets.Go here,there is a lot of good info on the 190,and SS's,an CTL's in general.

***********************************/Forum/

Take it from a heavy equiptment operator, me. You wont have any trouble with track wear on this machine from home use. The tracks will stand up to alot of abuse, but do wear down on the machines that are used day in and day out on construction sites. Turning on tar is especially hard tracks, since there is soo much rubber on the ground trying to turn. Which also puts a strain on the drive sprocket and front roller (idler) wheel. When this machine first came out the weak spot was the front and rear idler wheels. At that time they ran a sealed bearing, but since they have gone to a oil filled bearing unit which has proven to be the right step. Your 190 is new enough and has the better bearing set up, which is good, because those rollers are expensive, and not fun to replace. When tightening the tracks, try and keep them from getting too tight. When the top of the tracks sag to the point of almost touching the top of the carriage, its time to tighten them up. Keep in mind a little sag is ok, because with any track machine, as soon as you turn the track will tighten up even more, and this puts pressure on the front and rear rollers. A good way to judge if the tracks are too loose is watch someone else drive the machine and watch the track movement. If they are flopping up and down too much in the center, you know its time. Congrats on the bobcat, like others have stated above you will find more uses for this machine that you ever dreamed about. With all of the heavy equipment I operate at work, dozers, excavators, you name it, the bobcat is still the handiest piece of equipment on any job site.

I bought my first skidsteer 8 years ago when I was fixing up my place. I have 2 of them now, a long list of attachments, along with several other pieces of heavy equipment. There will never be a day I don't have a skdsteer in my yard. Hardly a day goes by that it does not do something. It is by far the most versatile and handies piece of equipment I have ever owned

For more information on the t190 or any skidsteer visit us at www.skidsteerforum.com
Ken

Three cheers for skid steers! I agonized for a year over which to get - a compact tractor or a skid steer. Read all the pros and cons. As luck would have it, an old gasoline Bobcat turned up locally, with two buckets, a set of forks and a backhoe attachment. A little rusty and dusty, but solid. Went for it and never looked back. Hmm, it is probably the one you first drove 30 years ago, I figure it is about a 1980! I haven't put more than filters, plugs and points in in, and i've had if for nearly 10 years.

Of course, it has gotten me into trouble:
1. cleared more land to mow
2. cut down lots of the punky, junky aspen trees around here and use the forks to carry them into the woods - that is pretty much a yearly clean up job
3. dug a few ditches for gas line, water line, new sewer line
4. use the bigger bucket for a snow bucket (no teeth), added a screened in top to haul limbs and leaves (increased the volume)
5. cleared and leveled more land for a shed
6. unloaded delivery trucks in 30 seconds, the drivers will love you!
7. haul the firewood out of the woods, and the splits to the wood pile - the forks also make dandy saw bucks!
8. pull the wife out of the snow bank (er, I mean her car)
9. move the picnic table where??? No problem!
10. carry the new washer and dryer to the back deck for a straight shot into the house

well, you get the idea - you will find a thousand uses for it Hedge - but watch out for those attachments, they are pricey. I would love to add a snow blower, but those prices.... I think I will adapt an old pick up plow.

I think I get involved in some big jobs, or long winters, yet my average works out to about 25 hours a year on the machine. The year I put the shed up it was more like 60, what with all the clearing, digging, gravel, etc.

Downside? you have to be careful in the yard, they will tear up. I don't have tracks though, they might be different. But when I can spin around in a circle by the main road clearing snow... priceless!

Jesh!! What were you thinking? What a piece of crap!! You got suckered in to a bad deal there!!
Just pack it up, send it to me and I will see what I can do to get rid of that Albatross for you!:greenchainsaw:

(In case you missed it, I WAS joking!!)

well, you get the idea - you will find a thousand uses for it Hedge - but watch out for those attachments, they are pricey. I would love to add a snow blower, but those prices.... I think I will adapt an old pick up plow.

I know what ya mean but lucky for me I have a good friend that has several attatchments and unless he is using them I can usually borrow them for a day or two. I have my eye on a Longford machine tree saw but that will have to wait a yr or so. BTW a Longford saw is a hyd driven 24" carbide tipped saw blade on the end of a frame about 5 ft ahead of the machine.

Jesh!! What were you thinking? What a piece of crap!! You got suckered in to a bad deal there!!
Just pack it up, send it to me and I will see what I can do to get rid of that Albatross for you!

Well truth is it is just some junk I found along the road in Kansas last saturday....:dizzy::cheers:

Keep on picking on me I am a big guy and can take it......:cheers:

Latest posts

Back