finally bit the bullet and ordered an X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
after reading all the good reviews on here i figured its worth a shot and ordered a Fiskars yesterday. cheapest place i found was on Amazon.com for 49.99 shipped to my door. should be here towards the end of next week. hope im not holding too high of hopes for this thing. but then again its only money rite:D

I just did the same thing. purchased it at the hardware store for $58 in hand. Its been to hot to try it. I am a little sceptacle on the quality of it now that I saw walmart sells them. Walmart sells nothing but crap. WALMART AND FACEBOOK ARE THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

You should be pleased with the x27. I bought mine a few months ago and I love it. I will not swing a traditional maul again unless I am hitting wedges. It splits so much easier and is much easier on the back. I do have one bad thing to say about it, the vibration is a lot worse than your traditional fiberglass handle. If for whatever reason the handle hits a piece of wood, it is going to sting. I figured it would not be that bad since the handle is hollow but not the case.

If their quality was not good, I don't think they would put a lifetime warranty on it. I have hit the handle a few times and I can not see a mark on the handle at all.

I think you both will be very happy with your x27. I only pick up my old maul to drive wedges when I'm into a really crooked crotch any more. And, you are right, it's only money. I bought mine through Amazon right before the end of the year, and have plowed through about 6 cords with it. I'm sure in that amount of time I managed to split $50 extra worth of wood. So, I go out and look at my wood pile and estimate what $50 worth of it looks like, then I think, hey, that's not so bad for a splitting axe that works as smoothly as the Fiskars. Then when I'm taking a shower after a couple hours of splitting, I think, hey the old back and shoulders sure feel pretty good after all that work.
P1050037.JPG

Sadly, the Commonwealth of PA has added a line item to our PA-40 income tax form to recover the sales tax "discount" I used to count on from Amazon.

You should be pleased with the x27. I bought mine a few months ago and I love it. I will not swing a traditional maul again unless I am hitting wedges. It splits so much easier and is much easier on the back. I do have one bad thing to say about it, the vibration is a lot worse than your traditional fiberglass handle. If for whatever reason the handle hits a piece of wood, it is going to sting. I figured it would not be that bad since the handle is hollow but not the case.

If their quality was not good, I don't think they would put a lifetime warranty on it. I have hit the handle a few times and I can not see a mark on the handle at all.

thats kinda a trait of the hollow handles. i made a steel handle out of pipe for an old broken maul when i was quite young. thinkin i had just solved all my broken handle problems i took it out to the pile and used it once. my hands still hurt from the first time i missed with that thing. after that i figured it was better to work on my swing and just keep replacing the wood handles. i guess a guy could always fill the handle with some epoxy if its too bad but i dont miss anymore so i should be fine

I just did the same thing. purchased it at the hardware store for $58 in hand. Its been to hot to try it. I am a little sceptacle on the quality of it now that I saw walmart sells them. Walmart sells nothing but crap. WALMART AND FACEBOOK ARE THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back.:laugh:

Sadly, the Commonwealth of PA has added a line item to our PA-40 income tax form to recover the sales tax "discount" I used to count on from Amazon.

You've always been required to report and pay sales tax on out of state purchases delivered to your state. The seller isn't supposed to charge sales tax, and the buyer is supposed to report the purchase and pay the sales tax to the buyer's state at the buyer's state's rate. Of course, you have always done this and there is no need for the dark suits to knock on your door....

i love my x27, although i will admit last weekend i did have to pull out my old 6 pound maul to go through some bigger stuff.....the x27 kept getting stuck with it.

Sears sells them for $54 here. we busted our maul last week so we went to buy another one and they had them there. we bought one of the traditional ones and the x27 too. my guys put it through the paces already. it works well. my complaint with it is the steel is too soft. after the second day the blade was missing a good chunk out of the tip. granted it hit some gravel a few times, it still is very soft. i laid some weld on it and re-shaped it, so we'll see how it does.

You've always been required to report and pay sales tax on out of state purchases delivered to your state. The seller isn't supposed to charge sales tax, and the buyer is supposed to report the purchase and pay the sales tax to the buyer's state at the buyer's state's rate. Of course, you have always done this and there is no need for the dark suits to knock on your door....

Of course, my comment was only meant to be a note of thanks to the Commonwealth for making it easier to find the form and line to report it on.

Sears sells them for $54 here. we busted our maul last week so we went to buy another one and they had them there. we bought one of the traditional ones and the x27 too. my guys put it through the paces already. it works well. my complaint with it is the steel is too soft. after the second day the blade was missing a good chunk out of the tip. granted it hit some gravel a few times, it still is very soft. i laid some weld on it and re-shaped it, so we'll see how it does.

If you split up on another block you won't be hitting rocks.

You wont be dissapointed

I was SUPER skeptical about getting one. I split everything by hand so I decided to give it a try.

FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!

I get much better results out of it than any maul that i have ever split with.

Wish I would have had one a long time ago!! I can split for a lot longer now and have less aches afterwords.

fiskars.JPG

I found one at sears the other day. It came home with me. It seemed to split pretty well on the first couple of pieces I tried it on. Keep it out of the dirt though. I had it end up in the dirt, and it nicked the edge a bit. I may have to put down a piece of plywood for those occasional misses that the old maul doesn't mind. :hmm3grin2orange:

I love mine but, you need to work the round from the outside in to get real good production from them also, splitting on an old stump seems to make things faster as well.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the original ss and the new x27?:msp_unsure:

The shape of the head and the x27 has a 36 inch handle, not a 28. The older head was straighter, more wedge shaped. The newer one looks more like an axe.

i'll have the guys split on top of a land mine next time... they won't miss next time.

Pretty funny! You could also just make them buy their own hand tools, and pay by production, not by the hour, if that is feasible for you. then it's their lookout how they treat their tools.

I try to mostly split on top of a block, and inside a tire. I can't do all the rounds that way, but a lot of them. Helps protect ME plus the SS.

Latest posts

Back