Finally broke down and lit it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had the stove going a few days so far. Been cold and raw here. 34 degrees and snowing like a, well, it snowed pretty good here last night. Gotta keep the family warm.

I lit my furnace up last week.We have had mid 20's to mid 30's for temps the last 2 weeks.
Gonna get iced up sooner this year...yehaaaaw!

I sure do love a warm house!

I'm sure ready to light up mine... it's been rainy, crappy, damp days and in the 40's for the past 2 weeks... I sure can't seem to get my blood thickened up this year... I'm cold all the time it seems! Brrrr....

I'd light it today except I haven't had a chance to get up on the roof and run a brush down the flue yet... the wife will have a fit if I do it alone...

Brushed mine

All set to go but I have to finish installing new lid gasket and ash door gasket. Sunday will be my first light and that is 2 weeks earlier than normal

I fired up last weekend. House was 54 Sunday morning. Generally I've been burning an armload before work (2nd shift) and an armload when I get home. House is about 70-74 cuz my mom's stayin this weekend and she's from SC. Apparently this is deathly cold ;)

I find that since I've been heating with wood I tend to get a bit carried away.

I finally caved in and started the insert last tuesday. My wife had been sick and the nights were getting down into the 30's......not to mention that the sound of that damn furnace running was making my panties bunch up!

How do you like that Dutchwest insert

I will be adding another wood burner and I was thinking about replacing my gas insert with wood...I looked at Napoleons but have not looked at Dutchwest yet..I know they are Vermont castings and I have a defiant in the family room.......It heats about 2/3 of the home...Let me know your thoughts

Defiant lid gasket

Is made of wire steel encased material...The gasket glue i bought says I can't use steel on steel...Can I use the cement on this gasket or not? Please advise

I will be adding another wood burner and I was thinking about replacing my gas insert with wood...I looked at Napoleons but have not looked at Dutchwest yet..I know they are Vermont castings and I have a defiant in the family room.......It heats about 2/3 of the home...Let me know your thoughts

A lot of the latest VC stoves have had issues plus there were recent problems with honoring warranties. For the time being especially in this economy I might steer clear of VC for a new stove.

Hahaha , I'v had mine going to weeks strait north central CT has been cold !

Need to keep the kids toasty:blob2:

Got my flue brushed today... this time it was the cleanest it's ever been... and no dead chimney sweeps either!!!

Ready now to start a fire... but we're warming back up now... 67 on Monday, 74 for tuesday...

It will be time soon enough.

We've had the wood furnace fired up for about two weeks. Brutally cold/wet summer, followed by a simply gorgeous September, and then October came in like November. Hey, maybe we'll have a December that acts like May. :dizzy:

Yep same here. I've been burning (mostly punky crap) for the last week and a half or two now. September was about the best of the summer this year. Last year I bought a couple of bags of stove coal (the big chunks) and would throw a few in a night where there was a nice bed of coals. This year I'll use the size smaller (nut I think it's called) but the benifit is that it really kept the stove and chimney clean for whatever reason? Chemical I think. Didn't even have to brush the chim this year. :clap:

Latest posts

Back