Finally broke down and ordered a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm84p

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well this is my first post but I think I have spent about 3 full days on this site reading and learning. I am brand spanking new to the wood heating world but I love it already, there is nothing like putting yourself to work to take care of your family, it beats doing overtime at work to pay for the crazy fuel oil costs.

Anyhow I just put a CL 5036 in about 3 weeks ago and have been working for about the last month to try and bring in enough wood but as of now I probably have maybe 2 cord and about half that is white pine and fir. So I found a log hauler working about 3 miles from my home and managed to get this load of wood from him for about 800$. The going rate around here is around 1000$ a load like that but the guy said he sells by weight and for some reason he couldn't get the weight right on the trailer so he gave me a little discount.

Now I got my work cut out for me in cutting and splitting that stack, of course most of it is small enough I won't need to split at all. I just had to question for you all. First is the one you probably hear the most, how much wood do you think that stack is. The guy said it is prolly 8-10 cord, I am a little more skeptical and I'd say closer to six but I wouldn't mind hearing some outside opinion.

The second question is what about the saw. Right now I am running a Poulan Pro 18" (round of guffaws for me). Like I said at the beginning I am new to this and when I went into it a saw was a saw, I had no idea all the different things that went into it. I have read about 6 pages of the chainsaw forum and from what I gather the Stihl 361 or a Husky are the way to go. Problem I have is in my heating budget I only have about 300-350 for a saw. I might be able to squeeze my way up to 400 but I'd prefer to stick closer to 300$, never know when another family emergency will hit. Anyhow I just wanted to see if you guys had a particular saw you would recommend in that price range.

Thanks in advance for the help, this site has already made my learning curve so much easier, while at the same time scaring s***less at how much wood you all cut on a regular basis. Hopefully by next year I will able to have the wood saved up so I won't have to go the route of buying it again, though it does really make things easier!

Welcome to the site!

First off I think your logger guy is right - and if I had to guess I'd say closer to 10 cords. You got a great buy!
As for a saw - there are a number of upper end "Homeowner" saws that would suit your needs and fit your budget. Based on the size of the wood you had delivered and the fact you don't have to chase all over to get it I'd think The Husky 455, Stihl 290, or Dolmar 510 would all be saws that would give you dependable service for about $320 - $350.
Don't forget to buy PPE for yourself as well, and be careful bucking in the pile - watch your saw tip to avoid kickback.
Good luck and post some pics when you get your saw and start making chips!

Al :clap: :clap:

Well this is my first post but I think I have spent about 3 full days on this site reading and learning. I am brand spanking new to the wood heating world but I love it already, there is nothing like putting yourself to work to take care of your family, it beats doing overtime at work to pay for the crazy fuel oil costs.

Anyhow I just put a CL 5036 in about 3 weeks ago and have been working for about the last month to try and bring in enough wood but as of now I probably have maybe 2 cord and about half that is white pine and fir. So I found a log hauler working about 3 miles from my home and managed to get this load of wood from him for about 800$. The going rate around here is around 1000$ a load like that but the guy said he sells by weight and for some reason he couldn't get the weight right on the trailer so he gave me a little discount.

Now I got my work cut out for me in cutting and splitting that stack, of course most of it is small enough I won't need to split at all. I just had to question for you all. First is the one you probably hear the most, how much wood do you think that stack is. The guy said it is prolly 8-10 cord, I am a little more skeptical and I'd say closer to six but I wouldn't mind hearing some outside opinion.

The second question is what about the saw. Right now I am running a Poulan Pro 18" (round of guffaws for me). Like I said at the beginning I am new to this and when I went into it a saw was a saw, I had no idea all the different things that went into it. I have read about 6 pages of the chainsaw forum and from what I gather the Stihl 361 or a Husky are the way to go. Problem I have is in my heating budget I only have about 300-350 for a saw. I might be able to squeeze my way up to 400 but I'd prefer to stick closer to 300$, never know when another family emergency will hit. Anyhow I just wanted to see if you guys had a particular saw you would recommend in that price range.

Thanks in advance for the help, this site has already made my learning curve so much easier, while at the same time scaring s***less at how much wood you all cut on a regular basis. Hopefully by next year I will able to have the wood saved up so I won't have to go the route of buying it again, though it does really make things easier!

Nice catch. Can easy see 10+ cords of stacked firewood in that load....Have fun...:popcorn:

:agree2: The 455 is a good firewood saw. And if you find a used one it'll fit in your price range with enough room left over for some chaps and head gear. I've had mine for 2 seasons and It's cut 15 or so cord without the slightest hiccup. If you can find a bigger (more cc's/hp)stihl or husky used for about the same price I'd go that way but for a new saw it's a good deal.

I LOVE these how much threads ! ! !

12 cords of cut split and stacked firewood.:hmm3grin2orange:
10 cords of cut and stacked for OWB

I'm guessing the triaxle is 16 ft bed and the trailer has a 20 ft bed for wood. What would I know though I'm not from a timber producing state. And about 20 years since I have seen a loaded logging truck

I have to agree, kids on a pile of logs makes me nervous. Easier to keep them off then to lift a log off of them.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to seem so blunt. I think you did great on your logs. I am constantly chasing kids away from woodpiles, nothing I hate to see more than little ones getting hurt.
Going to be enjoyable wood to harvest, you did ok

I let my kids climb the first year I got log lengths too until I had one roll while I was cutting. Now my kids aren't allowed near the logs or the piles. It actually encourages me to get the logs processed faster knowing my kids might not listen to me and head over there at some point.

That being said, that is an awesome truckload. I would agree and say closer to 10 cords. Nice stuff. Post the progress pics!

Thanks for the quick responses, communities like this make any job so much easier.

I also appreciate your concern on the kids, I know having an accident on that stack is very easy to happen. The problem is that stack is literally 5 feet from my back door, and I have 3 very rambuncious kids. Telling them not to climb on that stack just means they are going to try to do it again when ever mommy or daddy aren't looking. Curiosity is a hard thing to conquer in children. I'd rather show them how to do it safely and with supervision then tell them not to do it and have them have an accident when no one is watching. But that is just my 2 cents worth and I respect anyone elses opinion on childcare, this is just what I have found works for the 3 rugrats I have.

First of all, welcome, and good for you.

That pile has to be busted up. Has to be. Muscle some logs parrallel to the pile and start pulling it apart with a machine or a pickup with a chain. If you are going to leave it, then chain it up. Use chains and load binders from one side to the other, go around the parrallel logs that the load is stacked on.

Here in B.C. it is against the rules to buck a pile, and that goes for experienced men wearing caulks. I have bucked, the log loader just picks logs of the pile and lays them out on the road for me.

Please be safe, they can roll awfully quick and trap someone, if all that happens then is a broken leg, you're lucky.

Last edited:
Well Done

You did extremely well for $800. Judging on the loaded truck you've got 12 cords. Looks like most of it will not have to be split. I have a 5036 as well, do not split anything under 12" in diameter (this year you might want to if it's still real green--just to accelerate your seasoning). You are going to love your CB. Try to find some pallets to mix in with your new wood so you get a real good burn. GET TO WORK !!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
You did extremely well for $800. Judging on the loaded truck you've got 12 cords. Looks like most of it will not have to be split. I have a 5036 as well, do not split anything under 12" in diameter (this year you might want to if it's still real green--just to accelerate your seasoning). You are going to love your CB. Try to find some pallets to mix in with your new wood so you get a real good burn. GET TO WORK !!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

pallets? not sure what you mean by that. Also how long have you been burning with the 5036? How has it worked for you in burning green over seasoned? Just wondering as I was talking with the wood supplier and he said your better off burning em green as they burn slower and you have to restock the stove fewer times. But getting to work on this is a must. Need to get a new chain on the Poulan and get to work on some of the small stuff for now, looking at prolly getting the 455, I'd prefer the dolmar or Stihl but for now it is just too much. Perhaps next year though I will try to invest a smidge more into this operation.

Last edited:
Welcome. I agree with the others probably a good buy and well over 6 cords!

Regarding the saw, use what you have if money is tight, it will get you through this year.

If you have $300 to $350 to spend on another saw, by far the best deal/bang for your money is to pick up a new or refurbished Makita 6401. You should be able to find this saw for that amount on ebay.

Those are pretty green, are you planning on burning that this year?
Might need to add a hair tie to that ppe. hehe:)
Have fun, and keep an eagle eye on craigslist for a good used saw. I saw a practically new 290 with case and 4 chains go for $250 this week! I type Stihl into the search on a daily basis. Started with 1 stinking Stihl now I have 4!:greenchainsaw:

Shipping Pallets

pallets? not sure what you mean by that. Also how long have you been burning with the 5036? How has it worked for you in burning green over seasoned? Just wondering as I was talking with the wood supplier and he said your better off burning em green as they burn slower and you have to restock the stove fewer times. But getting to work on this is a must. Need to get a new chain on the Poulan and get to work on some of the small stuff for now, looking at prolly getting the 455, I'd prefer the dolmar or Stihl but for now it is just too much. Perhaps next year though I will try to invest a smidge more into this operation.

Find a source of shipping pallets to cut up/or break up and mix these pieces with your green wood. I am going on 4 weeks burning with mine. I have found dry hardwoods are best. Pine is good too but leaves little if any coals behind like HW do. I have burned some Maple that was live the day before and it went fine but was mixed with some dry wood. Green wood alone will smoke a lot and cost you some BTU's to dry out. I would recommend keeping your fire near the front (keep clear of damper door) and putting your green rounds in the back to pre-heat. In this way it will act as a kiln to dry out the next pieces before you pull them forward. You want to build a good 4-6" bed of coals. Best of luck.:chainsaw:

Good load for the dough. 8-10cords.
The driver put a nice locking log to prevent the stack from rolling on you.
Agreed though, buck them up asap, your Poulon will do the job for this year, go rent a 6401 from HomeDepot and get a feel for a bigger saw before you buy one, be aware of the tip area at all times around that pile.

My kids go on piles too, and Clearance had a good idea with chaining the pile, I've some 3" strap with ratchet that would do nicely as a preventive measure.

Last edited:
I got started on it but 2 logs into it and the Poulan wants to quit. It might be the chain, not sure, I bought it used with 3 chains. Even a little 8 inch thiggy log is giving it fits, engine sounds fine, I feel when it starts getting too heavy and I back it out a little bit, trying to go easy, but it just seems to be cutting through friction, not really sawing. Anyhow I am trying to get out today and get a new chain for it and hopefully I'll be able to get that pile cut up real soon. I appreciate your tips on how to keep the fire running, haven't fired it up yet but I'll definitely be using some of those tips to keep it running this winter.

"hair tie", "ppe"? Sorry don't speak Arborist yet, what's that mean? It is pretty green but don't have much of a choice, buying seasoned will run you about 175-200$ a cord here. I'll probably be running about 30/70 dry/green this year and like I said, hopefully I'll get the wood in early next year to be able to have all I need and not have to order it. Got a neighbor who is using about 3 acres of mine for alfalfa, might be able to convince him to let me get firewood from his land in exchange! He keeps about 500acres, mostly corn and alfalfa but has a good 140 acres of wooded hills. He uses an OWB as well and says he just gets his wood from brush clearing. People are generally pretty nice out in the hic's and stic's and like to help each other out.

Good load, Good deal.

Have fun with that load, I know I would be itching to get to it if it was mine.

Great view from the house by the way, beautiful area.

:clap:

First, on the saw, can you find someone around who knows something
about them? It might be something obvious (to them). Second, there
are saw deals to be had out there. I bought a Husky 350 for $40 yesterday.
Watch craigslist like a hawk. Respond first and you can get some great deals.

Finally, I would definitely talk to your neighbor. He may let you cut in exchange for
land use, or he may let you cut in exchange for a share of the harvest. If he
has a working farm, he is going to need those field edges tended to. That's a
lot of work on 500 acres.

Good Luck!

That looks like work

Gonna keep you busy for awhile. Personally I split everything as it helps it dry.

Back