Finally can post... Stihl031av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesmoke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time lurker but now i can post... finally got my own chainsaw!
I've learned alot over the years from just searching and reading posts. I use to help around a Stihl shop too but always like help and to learn more :)

It's a stihl 031av bought on cl for a fair deal (wasn't working when i bought it that helped the deal).

Anyways pulls 130-140psi; although my actron w/schrader is acting up. Used it on a known good blower and pulled 150 1st time then tried again and wouldn't go higher than 120 :(. (i checked against a compressor and right on, i'll fix it later) But, the piston and rings look immaculate, the muffler is really clean albeit a bit rusty :) The air filter was also really clean, but I cleaned it up with gas and reinstalled. The fuel tank also looked great and I did the old put a 1/4 tank in swish and empty and no real gunk came out. Also, the fuel filter was really clean. Story was it was owned by the PO's grandfather, then father, then him, had no use for it in AZ (they're from midwest) and used occasionally to cut trees at car lot from storms and for occasional firewood. Seemed to take good care of it and his garage looked good. Plus he was anal about my gas i brought to test and made sure it was mixed with oil.

I got this to help my dad out with firewood he got from storm damage (already cut and left by a service since I don't fell trees in suburbia) and he needed a new saw but he didn't want a cheap saw and wouldn't use it much so bought a gps for his car instead and figured he'd borrow one. (yes he knows how to take care of equip and his friends trust him) (we all know about loaning) :)

Well i used that as an excuse to buy a saw and fuel my CAD!!!

Anyways, it starts right up but doesn't want to idle with chain not running, have to set it so chain is running to get it to idle, can get it lower but clutch makes the clackety clack and lower engine cuts out. So, I figure new spark plug, fuel filter, fuel line, and probably a carb rebuild kit?

I hate to open up the carb cause the saw is almost there, it sounds great and isn't running lean and cut pretty well in the one cut i tried, but it probably needs it as it was sitting for a year and a half.

Also when i set it down in its case overnight it leaves a puddle of oil? Im going to investigate this more and seems to be less this last night. But oiler is working good, checked that.

Thanks for any tips and thanks for all your good posts that i've found and helped me. Hope i can give back as much.

Check you clutch springs out. That may well be part of you idle problem. If thw starts and runs well I doubt the carb is too bad>

+2 on the clutch springs, unless it's got one of those funky chain brakes.

The oil leak may be due to the bar oil hole being gunked up ? If not, it might need a seal. For now, open the oil tank cap to relieve pressure after use.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Today there was oil no puddle on the ground so I can eliminate leaking overnight in storage. But, everytime after I run it I set it down there is a puddle. Oiler probably not working right at idle or globbing on the chain. Its not a big deal and its not using a bunch of bar oil. And I put in new bar oil when I cleaned it out/checked over a couple days ago so I don't think its gunked up. It's oiling the chain well in throttle (nice clean new oil streak on floor) and after the other probs get fixed then I'll worry about it more.

Today I cleaned out the clutch and verified for the most part I think its working properly.

The 1st day I got it, the carb was flooding and gas was coming out the air cleaner etc. It ran horrible and lean and didn't idle at all, adjust screws didn't do anything. I didn't mess with it much as I had to go to work. Yesterday, it ran beautiful started up, ran rich in WOT, and let me idle it down (adjust screws worked perfectly) but it wasn't going low enough rpms to stop the chain. I thought it was low enough idle cause the carb wouldn't go lower but today it went lower and sounds more like an idle on a saw should.

However, today, have to choke it to start every time want to start it, the saw is idling down more now and stops the chain BUT its a rough idle and usually quits. Also there is no WOT it just bogs down and dies... Although I reset (to sthil specs) the R screw and left it as I couldn't get the idle set perfectly so didn't mess with the R screw like I did yesterday.

Here's the deal on the adjustment, I'm using only the LA and L screws at this point. Basically I'm not getting enough range from the carb to adjust this saw properly I think. To get an idle without chain moving (albeit a rough idle) the LA screw is just barely in, and actually I can get this saw to idle without it touching the armature! The L screw at this rough idle is about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn richer (counter-clockwise) than factory recommended (which is 1 and 1/4 turns for L and R); this would appear to be normal. I think the L jet is doing what it is supposed to but my LA adjustment is messed up. The reason why I assume is too much gas is getting by and visually I checked and it is eating alot of gas for the little I've been messing with it. :(

So, thats why I think a rebuild is in order or I might pull the carb apart and check it first. But, you guys have got alot more experience. So keep the advice coming. :)

Possible air leak at impulse hose, carb boot, crank seals...

Search on here for "vacuum test"...

Possible air leak at impulse hose, carb boot, crank seals...

Search on here for "vacuum test"...

:agree2:

Also, it is hard to tell if your clutch springs are wore out by just looking at them. It is best to compare them to new ones. I had a similar problem with an 026. I didn't think it was the clutch springs until I saw the new and oldside by side.

Both of these problems are typical for an older saw, but congrats on the Stihl and welcome to the site! I can't believe you had lurked for over a year before you posted!

Have fun and good luck!
Marty

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to leak test with this older saw anyways to be safe. Actually going to do that in a little bit.

The reason I don't think the clutch is worn is because I've got the saw down to where I think idle should be based on sound and the chain isn't moving. Just the saw don't want to stay there and either wants to run faster or usually just dies. Its actually a rough and idle and sounds like its missing. The other day I thought it was okay at idle because it was running so good and the carb didn't want to adjust lower but in hindsight it seemed to fast. Today it does go lower and the chain stops and its where it should be, just after 10-30 seconds it will die.

I'll tear into it some more and do that test and get back to you guys. And yes I've been a lurker for over a year. I signed up so I could see the pics and I never needed to post cause past posts have covered everything; but now I got my own saw so finally decided to post and say hello (plus I have more time to post too now) :)

can get it lower but clutch makes the clackety clack

Is that more like a ringing? If so the bell ringing sound at low rpm is not all that abnormal for these older stihls. The clutch drum has a little play in it and "dings" when not engaged. Just my thoughts, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it is not functioning properly. I think all the 031's I've had have done this.

MnSam thanks for letting me know that, that makes me feel better then. I was trying to avoid that sound. I vaguely remember some old Stihls we worked on in the shop had that sound too.

Anyways, I found the main problem. I took off the carb to do the leak test and as I was taking off the handle and the fuel intake line, surprise surpise the carb and the bracket it was mounted to fell into my hands... the carb boot looked iffy to me from my inspection with a light and my feeling was right. The elbow was broke in two and the boot was cracked (what I saw from the outside). So, yeah she was getting some air :)

Good news is local Stihl dealer can get the parts and about the same price as online with shipping, but bad news it'll be in a week. I'm still going to do the leak test here in a little bit.

Excellent! I must say that is one of my favorite saws. If your planning on keeping it around for awhile, keep your eye open for some spare parts to keep on hand. Carb kit, impulse, and fuel line. Do that and treat it right it might just go another 20 years.

Thanks fish for the laugh...

After a busy weekend, here are some pics:

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Tried leak testing with above setup (hose clamp and gasket), don't know if its how I rigged it or if there is a leak. Tmrw I'll pressure test and see whats leaking. But, work is progressing just waiting for the parts from the dealer. (Sorry for the big photos don't know how this site is adjusting them but i"ve resized them?)

Edit: Just so you guys don't bust my chops... it was squeaky clean after I cleaned it up when I got it. The dirt and junk on it now was from cutting some barky mesquite (just one 3/4 cut when testing the second day).

Last edited:
Alright time for an update. Recieved the parts last week and put together tues, wasn't getting enough fuel, took apart carb, cleaned and reassembled still no go, so bought a rebuild kit today and put it in. Now I think its getting too much fuel.

I'm not sure what to do because the metering lever is level if anything slightly below. Tried twice before and it was too high. The saw will start and idle/run with a spray of mixed gas into intake and fuel hose to carb removed. But as soon as I hook up that fuel line it will start but die and won't idle. According to Walbro shop manual carb was reassembled correctly and gaskets placed right.

Anyways, I hope to get a pic up of the saw all assembled here in a bit.

UPDATE: I found out I didn't include the gasket for the diaphragm that meters fuel, now I put that on and the flooding issue is fixed.... however the saw still won't run! Again I spray fuel in the intake to the carb, it starts in a couple pulls with the carburetor fuel hose off. However if I hook the fuel hose up, it starts up (with sprayed mixed gas in intake) but immediately dies. I just can't tell if its a fuel starve issue or too rich. It seems that now there is no fuel in the fuel line wheras before (with the rich problem) the line would be full although the tip is wet with fuel when I take it off. Any good ways to test the fuel vent/ tank lines or is something else the problem? And I triple checked metering lever and it is level.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back