Poulan Wild Thing 2375

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the Rooker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A buddy picked up this saw on the side of the road and dropped it off. He saw the former owner who told him he had bought it new for an ice storm 30 years ago and barely used it since. I gave it a pull and it wouldn't fire. I am by no means any sort of mechanic but I like to tinker with the basics. Opened the fuel tank (someone had put fresh fuel in) and found that the fuel line had dissolved. Replaced all the fuel lines because....Looked at fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, carb and essentially this saw looks brand new. There was a single line off one side of the carb that I think vents back into the tank. Is that right? Any thoughts on how I can get this thing started. Thanks.

check the basics, make sure it has spark if you have a compression gauge check that. If those are both good than fuel through the carb like said above will get it to pop off.

A buddy picked up this saw on the side of the road and dropped it off. He saw the former owner who told him he had bought it new for an ice storm 30 years ago and barely used it since. I gave it a pull and it wouldn't fire. I am by no means any sort of mechanic but I like to tinker with the basics. Opened the fuel tank (someone had put fresh fuel in) and found that the fuel line had dissolved. Replaced all the fuel lines because....Looked at fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, carb and essentially this saw looks brand new. There was a single line off one side of the carb that I think vents back into the tank. Is that right? Any thoughts on how I can get this thing started. Thanks.
I've worked on a couple of these. I think you'll find them a bit maddening because the parts quality of the plastic and rubber is awful. I had to throw quite a bit of money at these saws to straighten them out. It starts innocently with fuel lines...Next thing you know you're rebuilding the carb and installing new crank seals.

Confirm the spark is present, compression is reasonable and there's no scoring on the piston. If those check out open up your wallet and get a carb rebuild kit or just order a whole new carb. I guarantee the internal parts have turned into a rock like material.

Do the math before proceeding- a brand new 40cc Poulan Pro is $159 on Amazon. Be careful you don't invest too much money into sorting this old one.

No go. Not even a burp. Anything else? I would love to get this thing going for a light weight beater, particularly to cut brush.
Then check spark, a basic means by removing the plug from the engine, pushing the end back into the boot and resting the sparking end (threads) onto something metal. Pull the engine over with the ignition switch on to see if there is spark jumping the gap.

A 30 year old saw with a rotted fuel system is going to need considerable TLC. New fuel lines and filter/pickup. Pull the carb and open it up. If any signs of corrosion you will need a new carb. If no corrosion you might be able to clean it and install an OEM kit. You will also likely need a primer bulb and will need to verify that the fuel plumbing is correct. I picked up 3 of these for free. It turns out that someone had tried to replace the fuel hoses and got the hose routing backwards.

If the saw has been setting for that long there is a good chance some has been living in the muffler. Mud daubers are the usual suspects but anything is possible. Pull the muffler and make sure everything is clean and clear, and have a good look at the piston while you are there.

From another thread today...

CD3.jpeg

Mark

You say:
. I am by no means any sort of mechanic but I like to tinker with the basics.

Poulan/Craftsman chainsaws are good for getting your feet wet.
(as you say tinker with the basics)
After playing with the Poulan/Craftsman you will be able to know what a good chainsaw looks like when you see one. Poulan made some really good long life type saws back in their early days, but now days (modern times) they are at the lower end of the food chain. (disposable type, throw away and go buy new syndrome) Do not re-cycle, Poulans that are thrown away is how I get my donor parts.

Lots of info on-line about the Poulan 2375 AND DO NOT ASSUME THAT ALL 2375'S ARE THE SAME AND all parts are interchangeable. (CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR)

As these guys say, give the carb throat a little bit of mixed gas/oil (50:1) and crank, you should eventually get a promise pop if the saw has spark and compression. (and is not flooded)
Hold the throttle wide open when cranking, with no choke, when you get a start immediately release the throttle.
You have to be carful on the Poulan 2375 types, you can easily throw good money at bad and not have anything reliable when you get er running..
A 30 year old saw is eventually going to need at the very least the fuel lines, primer bulb replaced and maybe the carb. Tune up kit can be found on Amazon that has fuel lines, primer bulb , spark plug, and carb for less than $20. If it needs a replacement chain another $20, but you need to hear the pop promise to run first.
I would also remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston even though it has compression. If scored, it's a parts saw. Look at the ring/rings (some only have one) and see if it's not stuck if compression seems weak when pulling the rope.

I like to have about 2 or 3 Poulans handy as donor saws for parts when piddling with Poulan and all of them are freebies. I do not buy any Poulan stuff.
On the owners manuals FRONT PAGE for Craftsman/Poulans in big BLACK letters
FOR OCCASIONAL USE ONLY.

That is a hint.

There were a couple of models of the Poulan 2375's Wild Things. One was a descent little saw for homeowner use, the other was trash. If the choke is on the opposite side of the handle than the kill switch it was the better model. Also one had a chain brake and another didn't. You can find them on craig;s list or facebook market place for $20-30.

The fuel lines go from the tank to the carb, then carb to the primer bulb, then the small line across the to the other side of the carb there is a hole for the return line.

Why don't you try try posting in Nik's Poulan Thread. I have a couple of these (25+ y/o) that will start on the third pull. I always put them up dry, I don't even loan those out anymore because they are getting too expensive to fix.

If it smelt like varnish when you opened the fuel tank, it doesn't mean it was straight gassed but was put up wet, my guess is it's going to need a carb kit and good cleaning. I take the carb apart and soak the body in mineral spirits for a few days in a little glass jar. Once a day I swirl it around and agitate it to brake loose the varnish, dirt, etc.

Walbro K10-WAT carb kit. Those used to be about $8 now they are getting harder to find.

Link to Nik's Poulan thread

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/niks-poulan-thread.98495/page-3002

Back