Finally downloaded some pics of work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you live?

With this last "big" snow our trails have been flooded with sleds. I counted over 50 between 5PM and 10:00 PM while grooming.

Farmington. Rt 11. I noticed this afternoon that the trail looked like it was all slush.

Yeah, down that far it's all over. Terrible winter for most. Our trails have been pretty good the last month or so. Better than anyone would have thought.

Today's logs.

0307121450.jpg

0307121449a.jpg

0307121448.jpg

Looks good OT . Are they 16s . Pine ? What will they be used for ?

It's a mixed bag. Mostly 12', some 10', some 14', some 16'. The mill prefers 12' and 16'. Only 3-4 each of 10' and 14' to a load is the rule, but I refuse to waste good wood...so I cut a 10 or a 14 if that's what there is.
The mill is Hanckock Lumber, Bethel Maine.

[video=youtube;YDvDosXr_Wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDvDosXr_Wc[/video]

Nice looking logs, Oldtimer.

The desired lengths are a lot shorter than over here. What about the minimum diameter of a saw log on the small end?

Nice looking logs, Oldtimer.

The desired lengths are a lot shorter than over here. What about the minimum diameter of a saw log on the small end?

White Pine is milled into finish lumber here. Sometimes it's sawn as 5/4 or dimensional for furniture..maybe 5% of it. As such, the market has no need for any longer than 16'. It's used as trim or re-sawn into V-groove or tongue and groove or shiplap or clapboards..no structural to speak of.

Minimum small end @ Bethel Maine is 7" I think. Again, it's due to the product being made from it. If it were a stud mill cutting Spruce & fir the minimum would be around 4".

Max diameter on the logs is 52" I think.. I cut stuff that pushes 50" at times.

White Pine is milled into finish lumber here. Sometimes it's sawn as 5/4 or dimensional for furniture..maybe 5% of it. As such, the market has no need for any longer than 16'. It's used as trim or re-sawn into V-groove or tongue and groove or shiplap or clapboards..no structural to speak of.

Minimum small end @ Bethel Maine is 7" I think. Again, it's due to the product being made from it. If it were a stud mill cutting Spruce & fir the minimum would be around 4".

Max diameter on the logs is 52" I think.. I cut stuff that pushes 50" at times.

Those measures would be a wet dream for the land owners in my country... Shorter logs + smaller required diameters = less pulp = more money.

Ya that Ford has been the best truck I've ever owned . I should put duals on it and I need some Timbren long bump stops or air bags . Before the winter is over I will have hauled 400 cord of wood on it . Not bad for a truck I only paid 3k$ for . I didn't mean to hijack your thread . Your skidder is way cooler than my loader . But for 2,000$ and 18 cord of wood its doing a real good job .

Latest posts

Back