Finally... It's That Time of Year Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it means rain, overcast, and my back killing me (has to do with barometric pressure? Dr says I have arthritis to equal someone that's 70).

I do firewood year round, but my real busy season is Aug to Nov.

It WAS nice but all this rain means chaining up tires and pushing the log truck out with the dozer or skidder.

It's also football time. There's nothing better than slow cooking something outside, sitting by the fire pit, and watching a ball game while sipping a whiskey and puffing on a good stogie in the Fall.

The walleyes and muskies bite like crazy up here in the fall. Truth be told I have never wet a line after early September though as once the leaves start changing I would rather spend every daylight hour in the woods regardless of it's cutting wood, working on deer stands, or hunting.

Who else is ready for that DEER KILLIN', WOOD CUTTIN', BONFIRE BURNIN', BEER DRINKIN', WHISKEY SIPPIN' TIME OF THE YEAR?!?!?!?!?!!??
Well... except for the wood cuttin'... you just described any time of year at my house :D

But yeah, fall is surely my favorite season.
I took the 7-year-old down the river in the boat Saturday hopin' to catch a few small mouth and walleye... but it just ain't been cool enough yet. I did manage one little small mouth throwin' spinners, and the boy pulled in two real nice channel cat floatin' a shinner... he had a blast, so I called it a successful day fishin'. Truthfully, the day was all about him anyway, so if he thought it was a success who am I to argue?? If we'd get a week or so of cool weather those walleye should start hittin'... but it's still in the friggin' mid 80s here‼

I'd like to start cuttin' standing-dead elm, there's at least a dozen in the woodlot... but until we start gettin' our normal September weather with mornings in the 40s and 50s it flat ain't gonna' happen. It was 72° when I rolled out at 5:00 this morning... that's just crazy for mid-September. It appears Ma' Nature has put a hold on fall for us this year, the forecast is for mid-to-upper 70s all next week, but possible some mornings in the 50s... we'll see. Heck, normally a frost wouldn't be any real surprise for next week, but that ain't gonna' happen unless the weather guys have really screwed up.

If you can, keep it in the 70s for another week WS. I will be in the Des Moines area next Monday and would really appreciate good riding weather. One of the top tuners for my brand of bike has his shop there.

If you can, keep it in the 70s for another week WS. I will be in the Des Moines area next Monday...
Monday's lookin' darn good for ya'... right now the forecast is callin' for 78°, clear blue sky, and winds less than 10 MPH in Des Moines.
And the forecast remains about like that for the next 10 days‼ Almost unnaturally warm for late September‼

I love the weather, the leaves, the bright blue skies but outside of a load here or there, I start my firewood deliveries this weekend and it eats up all of my weekends until early December. Can't complain about the money though.

Can't hardly remember what a "bright blue sky" looks like here in Iowa. For some reason our neck of the woods seems to be the chimney for Canada's wild fires. Many days the sky is a smoke filled haze.

Salmon are starting to run and the leaves are starting to changing. I've got a few more face cord to cut an split then it all needs to be moved. Last weekend we had a few days that didn't get out I the 60's and I was loving it. It also reminded me how much work I need to get done.

It has been above average temps around here this fall. The last week has been in the high 70's low 80's, the last two days we have had thunder storms with buckets of rain. I close on my new home on Sept 30th and I hope for 2 solid months of good working weather. It is going to be balls to the walls all fall for me.

Here are a couple pics of reasons why I love this time of year... This dude has been visiting my food plot every evening right after dark, which means I can just back up into the woods a ways and catch him with an arrow on his way to dinner here in a few weeks. I got my last load of wood moved into the barn to get ready for the winter last night as well. I'm about 6'4" and the stack on the right is literally as I high as I can reasonably reach with my feet still flat on the floor. I will most likely burn this much, plus another 50% before winter is over. The left hand side has to be rounded like that until I figure out how to protect the light switch and outlet covers from damage. Got a call from a friend earlier this week: he had a hackberry, two black walnuts, and a beech tree taken down by a tree service. They agreed to take the tops and limbs, and cut the trunks into 16" pieces and leave them laying. Made one good trip (about 8 miles round trip) with my trailer and brought home about 1.5 cords for free and never even had to start the saw. Pretty good score if you ask me. :cheers:upload_2015-9-23_7-37-17.png upload_2015-9-23_7-36-2.png

Splitting a few chunks while listening to the corn stalk leaves rustle in the wind here in SW MN...harvest will commence shortly. 80 degrees and a new batch of flies, but still fun.

Shoot, looks like you guys are quite a bit behind on corn as far as readiness for harvest goes. My house touches a 75 acre corn field on two sides, and there's not even a hint of green left in the field right now. We haven't had a drop of rain in 12 days, either. Still an awesome backdrop to your splitting chores though.

Here are a couple pics of reasons why I love this time of year... This dude has been visiting my food plot every evening right after dark, which means I can just back up into the woods a ways and catch him with an arrow on his way to dinner here in a few weeks. I got my last load of wood moved into the barn to get ready for the winter last night as well. I'm about 6'4" and the stack on the right is literally as I high as I can reasonably reach with my feet still flat on the floor. I will most likely burn this much, plus another 50% before winter is over. The left hand side has to be rounded like that until I figure out how to protect the light switch and outlet covers from damage. Got a call from a friend earlier this week: he had a hackberry, two black walnuts, and a beech tree taken down by a tree service. They agreed to take the tops and limbs, and cut the trunks into 16" pieces and leave them laying. Made one good trip (about 8 miles round trip) with my trailer and brought home about 1.5 cords for free and never even had to start the saw. Pretty good score if you ask me. :cheers:View attachment 449033 View attachment 449032
Yessir, I smell a Muzzy broadhead...and soon. Nice rack indeed on that bad boy.

Latest posts

Back