Finally, my first chance to mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterrum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I work overseas and got a chance to come back home for 6 weeks and finally did some milling, the first for me. i had read alot of the information on this site, soaked it up like a sponge, bought some of the equipment I needed and now was the time try out the CSM. I had the Alaska Mill which I purchased from a friend about a year and a half ago and he threw in Mallofs book with the purchase so i am starting with his system as it seems to be pretty straight forward and relatively simple. I'm using a Husky 395XP with a 31 " bar. I found some blowdown fir and instead of milling them in the field dragged them to my woodshed and milled them there as it was going to be raining for a couple of days. My first attempt was to try and get a beam out of one of the logs. It was 11" diameter and managed to box the heart and make a nice 6x6 out of it. I was pretty happy with the end product except for my last exit cut which you can see chewed up the last bit of the cut. Other than that, I loved it, a nice way to spend a couple of rainy hours. I know you all like photos so here they are, pretty well from start to finish.
View attachment 80080

View attachment 80081

View attachment 80082

View attachment 80083

View attachment 80084

So that was pretty well it for the first log. I slabbed up the second log, 2" slabs and was happy with the results of that as well. Now that i know this will work for me i can head back overseas and start planning the projects I need to get done when I return next year. I'm looking forward to this new addiction.

If you're anything like most of us on here, that's going to be a LONG trip overseas. At least you're going during the winter when you wouldn't get a whole lot done anyway. As for the rough exit cut, are you referring to what's visible on the near end of the beam in the "Milling 12.jpg" photo? It's a bit small and hard to tell, but I have a couple ideas and suggestions.

Are you making sure to use kerf wedges to hold the kerf open while you're cutting? I can see you're using a felling wedge in the one picture to hold the end open. However it is really beneficial to find some junk two-by blocks and run them thru the tablesaw to make strips that are approximately the same width as the kerf of the saw chain. I have some that are exactly the same, and a few that are maybe 1/32" thicker. I pound one of these wedges into the cut every 2-4 feet, depending on the size and length of the log. If you don't use wedges like this, the weight of the top slab being cut off is resting on the bar and chain, and as you finish your exit cut it will push down on the rear part of the bar which is still in the cut, causing the returning chain to dig into both pieces near the end. There are other downsides to not wedging too, not the least of which is a potentially rougher and less accurate cut.

The other thing I noticed is that you have the crossbar (what the handle is mounted to) set quite wide. This appears to be OK for the cuts involving the guide board, as ideally you want the crossbar to be near the center of whatever surface the mill is riding on. However it appears to be set too wide for the last cut where the mill was only riding on the 6" beam surface. If the crossbar isn't riding on the same surface as the mill, the mill will want to "drop out" as soon as the leading rail passes over the end of the log/cant/board that it's riding on, causing the end bite that you described. I also find that it helps to enter and exit the cut while holding the mill at an angle. I enter with the powerhead end forward so that the cut starts right up against the guide shoes, and exit the cut in the opposite fashion, holding the powerhead back while pushing the nose out. The biggest advantage I find doing this is that it enhances the stabilizing factor of the crossbar, because it's contacting a wider area of wood, though no more surface area of course, and the guide rails are less wont to tip and wobble if you're pushing slightly forward on them instead of perpendicular to them.. This is especially relevant on narrow cuts, such as taking 2X4s off a cant. The other advantage is that if there is any dropout it is localized to one corner of the cut instead of across the whole end - this is less helpful on narrower cuts obviously.

PS - where ya at in the Okanagan? I was down in Kelowna a couple days after that monster windstorm in July, green with envy over whoever was lucky enough to get to clean up all the walnut, oak, maple, etc. trees that I saw down in yards.

Nice....like your milling shed too! The dilemma I run into now and then (and maybe yourself as well as you get into milling) is whether or not to mill my fir firewood into beams or into 16" rounds. Have fun!

Great job... I too like your milling shed and wish I had something like that. As all have siad, now you'r hooked and there is no going back.

Thanks for the tips Br. Definitely learned a couple of things from this first crack at milling and i agree with you on the two recommendations you gave me. I was trying to use falling wedges to keep the cut open but they did not work that well, I like the idea of kerf wedges that you have. I've got a Haddon Lumbermaker to help with beams but i didnt have the time to try that out on this trip home, too many things on my plate this trip expecially since its hunting season.

I'm in Penticton and Rock Creek, this cutting I did in RC. I missed that big windstorm and the chance to get a whole lot of wood for milling but there will always be another storm.

No problem with noise in the shed, its open on 4 sides and i wear hearing protection. This shed is temporary for milling until I get an old hayshed rebuilt and I will use that exlusively for milling and air drying my lumber, thats the plan anyway. Thanks all.

Back