Finally Purchased LT10 and ready to Learn!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay in getting back... having great weather for winter in Wisconsin so we are bustin' a move every day... and then I am too tired to sign on at night! <grin>

@Talltom, thanks for the ideas on the stickers... NEAT ideas!!! Also, thanks for the insights on the T&G boards.... I am really feeling like a newbie on this stuff!!!

@SDB777/Scott, hey fellow LT10'er!! Yea, I really want to just start playing but I have to admit that the mill is still at the dealer... my truck is having some troubles (to say the least!) and from what I understand the LT10 is not going to fit in the wife's mini-van!!!!<grin>

I am torn between reading about how to build a solar kiln or how to make finished boards for the interior (T&G or shiplap or ???)

We are still working on the framing of the interior walls, then we need to start pulling wires, put up sheet-rock for the exterior walls (fire codes), bathrooms, windows, tyvek, ... the list just goes on and on!!!! Looking at all the OSB is driving me nuts... I can't wait to see some "real" wood on the walls and ceiling!!!

Work is light these days (to say the least!) so doing everything we can ourselves is really important to save every penny!!!!!

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Many thanks,
-Dad2Four

Sorry for the delay in getting back... having great weather for winter in Wisconsin so we are bustin' a move every day... and then I am too tired to sign on at night! <grin>

@Talltom, thanks for the ideas on the stickers... NEAT ideas!!! Also, thanks for the insights on the T&G boards.... I am really feeling like a newbie on this stuff!!!

@SDB777/Scott, hey fellow LT10'er!! Yea, I really want to just start playing but I have to admit that the mill is still at the dealer... my truck is having some troubles (to say the least!) and from what I understand the LT10 is not going to fit in the wife's mini-van!!!!<grin>
Welcome to life.
I bought mine in August, didn't get it delivered till December (when I wasn't there), didn't put it together till the end of January and have only cut 1 log with it.
I'm going down to visit it next week for a few weeks.

The sooner you get it home and put together the sooner you'll be making your own wood.

Ya'll some patient types....
I had monies in hand, drove from Central Arkansas into Southern Missouri, loaded the mill into the back of the Colorado Z-71 and brought it home. The next morning as the sun came up, I was assembling the mill....by that afternoon, I had loaded a piece of Eastern Red Cedar on it and was slicing until it got dark enough that the LOML came and got me!

I'm not too much into it that I can't wait for the ground out back to do a little drying out though, we've had a considerable amount of rain the early spring....and I hate wet feet!

Scott (maybe next weekend) B

Ya'll some patient types....
I had monies in hand, drove from Central Arkansas into Southern Missouri, loaded the mill into the back of the Colorado Z-71 and brought it home. The next morning as the sun came up, I was assembling the mill....by that afternoon, I had loaded a piece of Eastern Red Cedar on it and was slicing until it got dark enough that the LOML came and got me!

I'm not too much into it that I can't wait for the ground out back to do a little drying out though, we've had a considerable amount of rain the early spring....and I hate wet feet!

Scott (maybe next weekend) B

Hopefully by easter the snow will be melted enough so I can un-stick the tractor, and get the logs I have down and piled back to the mill................yeah maybe next weekend with my csm.........getting ancy.

the easiest way to make t&g is to forget the t and groove both sides with a router and grooving bit after being planned from the the face and use strips of plywood to fit the grooves together. you can router the edges or run a planer down the edges if u are careful. you can also cut the plywood about half the width of the real wood. this makes a good looking pattern and uses less lumber. the plywood can even be a different type wood and create a twwo tone effect. the list goes on and on. anyway something to think on. hope this helps and good luck.
jnl

Good idea, jnl. The splines don't need to be plywood, but that would certainly be the easiest. One advantage of T&G over loose splines or shiplap is blind nailing. If you have to put up drywall anyway, Dad2Four, I would finish that to see how I liked it before committing to paneling for the interior. There is such a thing as too much wood (my God, did I actually say that? Don't let my wife know!) If all OSB is too much, all paneling will probably be too. My home has wood on the ceilings and drywall on the walls and I really like the contrast. You'll need time to mill and dry your wood, anyway so going slow on the paneling will fit your schedule easier.

Here is a little information about milling that I learned the hard way....and for the longest time I was blaming my mill, but the mill was fine. When I first started sawing a couple years ago, I started to notice that some of my boards that I milled were slightly curved. I kept checking the bunks for level, kept checking and double checking everything for level and everything was perfect. I kept getting some boards that were curved.... then I finally figured it out. I squared a log one day and started taking boards off of it. With each board, I noticed the center of the log was lifting slightly off of the center bunks. Each board I took off, the center of the log was lifting about 1/4" higher off of the center bunks. It is pressure in the log. Some logs have it, some do not.. but in my experience, more have it than don't. When you start taking boards off of one side of your square cant, it relieves pressure from that side causing the whole cant to bow. The solution is to take a board off the top, rotate the cant 180 degrees, then take a board off of that side, and repeat. It's a pain because you have to rotate the cant 180 degrees between each cut in order to even out the pressure... but your boards will be straight... and that's really all that matters... hope this helps. If you see some curve in some of your boards, this is most likely what is going on. Now make some sawdust!!:rock:

Back