Finding Trees to Climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiggerDan

Reaction score
Were are you rec. climbers finding trees to climb? Parks? Private land?

I live across the street from a park with a nice grove of bur oaks. Would be fun to climb but city forester wouldn't be happy if he found out.

DiggerDan said:
Were are you rec. climbers finding trees to climb? Parks? Private land?

I live across the street from a park with a nice grove of bur oaks. Would be fun to climb but city forester wouldn't be happy if he found out.

You gotta work at it. Try contacting the city forester and tell him that you are recreational climber and would like to meet him for a climb at a place of his choosing. Could be interesting, he might get you into a very nice tree and you'll have a chance to demonstrate rec climbing, yes?

Otherwise keeps your eyes open and look for opportunities, you'll find your trees. check out local rock climbing areas, if there are good trees nearby the general public will be very tolerant of you climbing since they're used to seeing people hanging on ropes.

To answer your question: I climb on public and private land, backyards, parks and woods.
-moss

Though I don't climb (yet?), I have seen a lot of really nice big old trees in cemeteries. A couple from the family cemetery I care for that might be worth climbing:

Climb_Oaks_2.jpg

moss said:
To answer your question: I climb on public and private land, backyards, parks and woods.
-moss

Have you ever been told you can't climb a tree on public property?

Most of the areas I'd like to find trees are low use, relatively secluded areas in public parks.

I don't really want to contact the city/county and ask. Cause they're probly going to say no. However, I have not seen any signs that say "No Tree Climbing".

Anyone out there established a relationship with a parks and rec. system that is OK with rec. tree climbing?

DiggerDan said:
Have you ever been told you can't climb a tree on public property?

I know where it's tolerated and where it isn't. I've never been asked to get out of a tree. I usually climb on public land that has plenty of woods and room to climb without being bothered. I'm working on opening up permission on public land closer in the city.

Just because it's not posted doesn't mean there aren't rules against it. The "No tree climbing" rules are typically aimed at kids. At this point rec climbing is not on anyone's radar (at least in my area) so when you do climb you have the opportunity to be an ambassador for the sport and show how competent you are and how safe it is.
-moss

moss said:
I know where it's tolerated and where it isn't. I've never been asked to get out of a tree.

At this point rec climbing is not on anyone's radar (at least in my area) so when you do climb you have the opportunity to be an ambassador for the sport and show how competent you are and how safe it is.
-moss

My problem is that I don't know where it's tolerated. Rec climbing isn't "on anyone's radar" around here. And I don't want to be the one that gets it there either. Hopefully, any hikers that spot me might be interested in what I'm doing instead of being upset because they think I'm hurting the tree.

I am a ceritified arborist. Climb some at work, but not every day. Love to climb and am interested in doing some rec climbing for fun (and to hone my skills) on weekends.

I climbed in a fairly public location last week. There was a continuous parade of dogwalkers and strollers on a path within 50 ft. of the tree. 95% of the passersby never noticed me, despite the rope hanging down to the ground. And I'm in an oak with no leaves (of course). Of the 5% that noticed only two people stopped to ask what I was doing and were interested and positive. The others just looked once and kept on going. My point is that most people just don't look up or notice much in general. They're in their own world.

It's probably a good idea to try climbing in places where police cars can't roll right up to the tree. That will cut out most of your potential problems. The good officers of the law don't usually get out of their cars and go exploring.

In the worst case scenario someone with authority will ask you to get out of the tree. All you do is get out of the tree, no harm done. Beng an arborist you have the added benefit of being able to say something like "I'm an arborist testing out some new gear" or something like that.
-moss

Recrational tree climbing is a great way to spend time. "Beats just hanging around". Doesn,t matter where you find a tree to climb as long as you don't go alone! Experts & beginners should never climb alone & if you're both in a tree, try to let someone know where you'll be climbing. As much as I hate to answer the phone while I'm working I allways have my cell phone in a pocket on my jeans that is under my saddle, so I can get to it easy in case I need to make a call. In the same pocket on my other leg I have my knife. Could be a very important tool while tree climbing. You never know if you'll need it. Tree climbing is wicked fun, just be safe & keep doin' it! ( Tree climbing is even more fun when you get paid to do it! )

Matt Mitko said:
...Doesn,t matter where you find a tree to climb as long as you don't go alone! Experts & beginners should never climb alone & if you're both in a tree, try to let someone know where you'll be climbing....

That's good advice if possible. I climb alone most of the time because that's the way it works out. Not many rec climbers in my area. Always carry the following on my saddle: cell phone, whistle, knife, water and something edible (Clif bar or something like that). Always let someone know when and where you are climbing.

moss said:
That's good advice if possible. I climb alone most of the time because that's the way it works out. Not many rec climbers in my area. Always carry the following on my saddle: cell phone, whistle, knife, water and something edible (Clif bar or something like that). Always let someone know when and where you are climbing.

I am also usually alone. Cell phone makes me feel more comfortable with it. I used to call a freind before I made a climb and tell him to check up on me if he didn't hear from me every hour on the hour, but as I got more comfortable with climbing I have lost the habit. Think I'll start doing it again. Don't want to get complacent.

But, hey ... you want to live forever? Don't take me wrong, I love life (as I am living it), but I'm surrounded with enough 80+ year old relatives that I'm sure I don't want to live that long [well, ask me again when I'm 79]. I'm not one to be content sitting watching a TV when I could be getting some fresh air, exercise, and enjoying a good view, whether or not I can find a ground man. Fact is, not an option. I don't own a TV.

clearance said:
I sure hope that you guys don't climb with spurs, do you?

No spurs for recreational climbing, Clearance. I understand the need for them in commercial climbing. Still, even in commercial climbing, sitting in a saddle and working from a rope beats the heck out of standing on spurs all day long wrecking out a big conifer for take down.

Seems good to be able to do it all, SRT, DRT, Spur and Lanyard. Each has its place. Recreational not the place for spurs. Saw some good illustrations of spur damage in Beranek's "Fundamentals ..." book, page 96-97.

moss, your public park thing reminds me of one of my first tree climbing experiences. i was so new that i picked this tree right along a bike path in the middle of town. while i was trying to set my line i realized it was a stupid location, but i got my throw weight stuck so i had to climb it just to retreive it. well, i started climbing it all ackward like with no skills and i'm like 5 feet off the ground when this charity walk-a-thon starts coming down the bike path. all of a sudden there's hundreds of people walking by me, marveling at how bad i was climbing and asking all sorts of questions. it was embarassing to say the least.

and a different time i got kicked out of a public park by a city park dude. so i've found that graveyards are good rec-climbing locations because there are old trees and the only people there are dead.

Back