Finished cutting- w/ pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugazi42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This week I finished cutting and hauling firewood from a wood lot near my house. I applied for and received a permit from the DEP to cut in a state forest. This was the first time I've actually cut in the woods- actually the first time I ever dropped a tree .. Prior to this I've only cut trees and logs that were on the ground. It was a good learning experience, and a heck of a lot harder than I ever thought. My thanks to everyone who posts to AS. I learned a lot from you all. Most importantly, I learned how many different ways I could get killed while cutting and how to stay as safe as possible.

The forester from the state I worked with was very helpful. This land hadn't been managed in quite some time. The goal was to get rid of the less healthy trees and to remove the weedy red maples to open up the canopy to allow the sugar maples to grow. The lot I was assigned was probably 2 acres or so. I cut a total of 16 trees, mostly red maple and cherry with a few white oak mixed in. Felling in a crowded forest, trying to not get trees hung up while trying to protect the smaller sugar maples and undergrowth was pretty tough. I'm proud to say that I only got two trees hung up, and I got both out pretty easy with a 2-ton strap puller. By far the most time consuming part was trimming the tops and making the brush piles- a requirement of the firewood permit. Hauling the wood out wasn't too bad- just a lot of wheelbarrow time.

In all I think I spent about 15 hours in the lot, and hauling back and forth. The lot was estimated at two cords, but i think there's a lot more wood than that. I won't know how much 'till it's split. for reference, the wood shed in the background is 6x8 and holds about 2.5 cords when full. I think it was worth while, and I'll definitely do it again, but not anytime soon!

Josh

woodpile2.jpg

woodpile1.jpg

If your permit was only for 2 cords then 2 cords it is. If you ened up with a few extra pieces so much the better, you didn'y get shorted. If the foresters estimate was off a bit well thats OK he probably knows what he was doing and keep it between the two of you and he will probably still be there next year too.

Nice looking pile of heat waiting for you.

Wish I could score something besides dirty fence rows and blowdowns. Guess I better be careful of what I wish for or the treeservice might dump a 60" log 16 feet long in my drive, again. The (ex)wife went unhinged when she found it in her parking spot. But that's another story.

RX- I've got a Sithl MS361 w/ 20" bar. I got it this past winter and I've now cut somewhere near 15 cords with it. I still love it- it's a great tool.

Josh

An education, outdoors, great workout, all that sweat equity built up, and stay warm with smaller bills during the winter, or maybe two winters with that pile, great haul. :cheers:

nice haul!

so, how are you gonna fit all that wood in that shed???:hmm3grin2orange:

MGA- I built the shed before I started heating w/ wood. Can you tell? I sized it to hold a couple of years of fireplace wood. It holds about 2.5 cords. I wish it were much bigger now! I have that shed full, plus 3 cords covered and stacked in back of it on pallets, and another 3 cords stashed in back of the garden shed also covered on pallets. Where this new load will go, I don't know..

Kevin- I'm in Connecticut.

Josh

Nice story and pics! I hate it when trees hang up. I have used the suicide method and "walked" them down. Gets spooky. I walked down a 32" standing dead red elm up in North central kansas 2 years ago that still makes me cringe thinking about it. Many underestimate how dangerous and hard of work falling timber is, even for firewood.

Looking Forward!

Hi Josh
Glad you had a good experience in the woods.I will be in the same boat one day as the only wood I have cut so far has been on the ground or small diameter standing dead stuff.When I cut those I approach them without saw in hand give them a so so push and make sure they are more or less solid so the top does not come crashing down on me .Hope that's the best way if not anybody can feel free to straighten me out.
Nice Work Josh!
Lawrence

Back