Finishing a cut with a different saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmericanMade

Reaction score
I've been told numerous times by somebody in the industry that finishing a cut with a different chainsaw will cause dulling of the chain. Started a cut the other day tossed the chain off and decided instead of reinstalling the chain it would be quicker just to finish the cut with a different saw. I was told that was going to dull the chain on the second saw that I grabbed to finish the cut. If this is the case what causes this? If it's the difference in Pitch what about if you're using a chain with the same pitch? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

yeahhhh you're being B.S'd, the chain won't be affected any more than if you made that cut with that saw to begin with, actually less because half the cutting's been done lol

now, lets say you started with 3/8 chain and finished with .404, you will have to re-cut the initial cut due to the larger chain being, well, larger

I've been told numerous times by somebody in the industry that finishing a cut with a different chainsaw will cause dulling of the chain. Started a cut the other day tossed the chain off and decided instead of reinstalling the chain it would be quicker just to finish the cut with a different saw. I was told that was going to dull the chain on the second saw that I grabbed to finish the cut. If this is the case what causes this? If it's the difference in Pitch what about if you're using a chain with the same pitch? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Only if the first saw didn't make it to the barbed wire fence or rock embedded in the tree.

I recently went through four chainsaws cutting down a 4' diameter oak. I ended up finishing with a 391 and a 20" bar because all the other saws had quit cutting.

Curiously, there was no rot, and no metal (that I could find). The center foot of the red oak was a very odd charcoal color, although it was definitely not "burned" at some point in it's distant past (even though it may look like it in the pictures below). The broken fibers in that part of the tree even felt hard and tougher than usual. I've never seen anything like it, as there was no decay nor hollow spot, either.

20240202_135239.jpg

20240202_135223.jpg

One thing is for certain, that tree cost me way too much time to get on the ground. Over an hour just to make that one cut. My 3120 would normally slice through that in 10 minutes or less. I trashed two 36" chains, a 30" chain, and was left with the puny 391, and it had a hard time gnawing through it too.

I recently went through four chainsaws cutting down a 4' diameter oak. I ended up finishing with a 391 and a 20" bar because all the other saws had quit cutting.

Curiously, there was no rot, and no metal (that I could find). The center foot of the red oak was a very odd charcoal color, although it was definitely not "burned" at some point in it's distant past (even though it may look like it in the pictures below). The broken fibers in that part of the tree even felt hard and tougher than usual. I've never seen anything like it, as there was no decay nor hollow spot, either.

View attachment 1156875

View attachment 1156877

One thing is for certain, that tree cost me way too much time to get on the ground. Over an hour just to make that one cut.
I've seen that before, that's usually old metal that has rusted away and oxidized into the wood, makes it almost as hard as iron. I've even been able to check the wood like that with a magnet, there is enough iron to attract it.

I've seen blue streaks in walnut logs that were visible far up the tree beyond where the nails were at. I've never seen the iron/steel disappear and harden the wood though.

Seems plausible to me. I wish I had thought to try a compass on it.

View attachment 1156875

View attachment 1156877

One thing is for certain, that tree cost me way too much time to get on the ground. Over an hour just to make that one cut. My 3120 would normally slice through that in 10 minutes or less. I trashed two 36" chains, a 30" chain, and was left with the puny 391, and it had a hard time gnawing through it too.
Looks like a sapling grew over an iron stake 50+ years ago based on the rings. Fence line or property corner?

I've cut a couple of similar sugar maples. Someone tapped the tree with metal taps then forgot about them. Tree grew over and I suspect the sap dissolved the tap leaving a dark streak but I don't recall their being harder to cut but sugar maple isn't oak.
That oak is way too low so I think Seachaser is onto something

I’ve seen this numerous times cutting fenceline wood around home. Something metal was there at one point. Sap can eat stuff away slowly over time so there isn’t a metal post or wire there anymore but the iron is still in the tree.

If you can find someone willing to turn that into lumber it’ll make some really neat pieces. The guy I usually use has a few blades designed for a metal saw he uses in chunks like that. Cuts sloooooow but doesn’t destroy blades and produces some wild looking lumber. We have a coffee table made from a big oak with a black center like that. It looks amazing !!

I’ve seen this numerous times cutting fenceline wood around home. Something metal was there at one point. Sap can eat stuff away slowly over time so there isn’t a metal post or wire there anymore but the iron is still in the tree.

If you can find someone willing to turn that into lumber it’ll make some really neat pieces. The guy I usually use has a few blades designed for a metal saw he uses in chunks like that. Cuts sloooooow but doesn’t destroy blades and produces some wild looking lumber. We have a coffee table made from a big oak with a black center like that. It looks amazing !!
It really sucks when you have a 50 inch bar on a Homelite XP1100 gear drive running 1/2 square chisel and hit a damn T-post.

Been there
Done that

Bluish/dark streaks from long gone ferrous metal are seen quite often in very old 'yard trees'' in most places. This was some large White Oak (that originally was growing just a few blocks northeast of me) my tree service contact dumped in my backyard Dec.2013.You can see the streaks/spots that was a reaction to the iron contacting the tannic acid in the wood.Jan 2014 I used my Granberg mill,cut a few wide slabs 2.25" & 3.25 thick,let them sit stickered in the lumber stacks to dry 8+ years,then in June 2022 I used 4 of them to build this smaller cabinetmakers bench.

None of the larger logs my tree service dropped off were over 36" long,they varied from 32" to 36",with diameters around 24" to 36".Anything under 14" diameter that I got (tops & larger branches mainly) was split/stacked for firewood,it was burned in 2016-17.But the decent larger rounds were milled into wood turning blocks (bowl blanks mostly) and some shorter slabs -sold a few on Craigslist a couple years later,but kept most of them for future use.

3 X 3 legs,top is 1.75" thick,with a 4" apron on 3 sides.Its plenty stout even with its smaller size - It has to weigh 125 pounds (empty) found that out bringing back inside the shop after giving it a couple coats of Watco Teak Oil followed by a couple coats of Minwax amber varnish on the top.

Would've prefered a larger bench,even though I already had a larger heavy Doug Fir bench across the shop.But made do with what logs I had at the time. This ''little bench'' gets more use all the time,it may not be ''perfect'' but is perfect for my needs and like a favorite pair of boots,will get more comfortable with age.

PICT0455.JPG
DSC03348.JPG

Bench is all White Oak from one tree -(except for the 2 Black Cherry tool trays left one removable,right one is attached,and the lower shelf made from salvaged 50+ year old Yellow Birch that wouldve ended up in the dumpster I brought home from a local University dormitory remodel/upgrade in summer 2008.The Black Cherry was some scraps of new millwork from a local hotel remodel/expansion in late 1997,I was lucky there,a bunch of shorter pieces,other stuff up to 4 feet long was my prize those few weeks while there.To the right of bench,there's a few pieces of that thick short White Oak milled years ago that's waiting to be used in the next project.

One thing I miss about being retired almost 5 years now,(obviously besides a greater monthly income & employer paying for your monthly health insurance premiums) was ''dumpster diving'' haha It was different every week,you didnt know what you'd find,but it was often some pretty cool stuff. - even when you were at a larger project for several months up to a couple years in time.....That was one of the ''perks'' that came with the job,anyone could help themselves to the new scrap,plus anything that was demo'd or destined for the dumpster during the normal work day.

Looks like a sapling grew over an iron stake 50+ years ago based on the rings. Fence line or property corner?

Landscape tree planted in the middle of the front yard. Probably 60+ years ago. That neighborhood was still well established when I came to that area more than 45 years ago. The house is considerably older than 60 years, so there were no fenceposts involved when that tree was young.

Back