Fire Brick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rsquared

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Doing my spring cleaning, chimney, inside the stove etc. Looks like after 2 years I am going to have to replace the fire brick. All but 3 were cracked, and those seem brittle. Anyway, I checked TSC and they are 5 bucks a piece so at 16 bricks, that's 80 bucks. Does that seem right? Are there any online places anyone knows about where I can buy them in bulk to save a few bucks and stock pile them for the future? Thanks in advance, R2

Doing my spring cleaning, chimney, inside the stove etc. Looks like after 2 years I am going to have to replace the fire brick. All but 3 were cracked, and those seem brittle. Anyway, I checked TSC and they are 5 bucks a piece so at 16 bricks, that's 80 bucks. Does that seem right? Are there any online places anyone knows about where I can buy them in bulk to save a few bucks and stock pile them for the future? Thanks in advance, R2

I think last time I bought them they were $3.50-4.00 a piece at my local woodstove place.

check you local masonry place where they sell brick & block to contractors and such. i'm lucky to have a brick mfg. plant near me.last time i bought it depended on size.

When we replaced a few broken bricks last year I got a box of six from Amazon. $33.00 with shipping.

There under $3 here in Arlington at the hardware store (PNW)

I replaced all of them in my stove plus replaced the gasket on the door just before winter last year

Another Source

I bought some recently at Orchelins -- TSC was out. The ones I bought came in small cases of six bricks. I believe the price was around $17.00 or maybe a little less. I had to buy 2 full cases as my local store would not break open the cases.

Nosmo

There are many types/qualities of firebrick. Check out masonary/ block stores. You will get higher quality.

I have been researching fire bricks for the last 2 months because I'm going to build a masonry heater and one needs a lot of fire brick for a masonry heater. I've spoken to several masons and I've learned all fire bricks aren't created equal. There are low, medium, high duty, and super duty fire brick. And usually the price goes up with the duty status. The duty status mostly corresponds to the ratio of silica (sand) and alumina (metal). The higher the alumina content the higher the duty status, and price.

However high/super duty fire bricks aren't as good at temperature cycling - which means going from hot to cold, but they still might work. They like to just stay hot all of the time. So medium duty fire bricks are good choices for things like wood stoves which cycle hot and cold. And low duty bricks will work but may start pitting sooner.

The two brands that the masons who build masonry heaters like the most seem to be Alsey and Whitacre Greer. Masonry heater cores reach temperatures up to 1800 F so the masons know who makes the best bricks. This high temperature in the core is one reason why masonry heater's really outperform wood stoves. Yet we in North America think wood stoves are where it is at - go figure. We just don't know any better, but Europeans do (as usual). Cost? I'm building a masonry heater for less than $1500. Anyways, the #1 fire brick is the Alsey Smithfield fire brick - not too expensive and a great brick.

I researched how to get these bricks. They can be had for about $1.20 - 1.60 each directly from the factory - you just have to buy them through a distributer then go pick them up at the factory - or have someone pick them up for you. Alsey is in Illinois below Chicago, closer to Springfield. Alsey plant's phone # is (217) 742-5501. Or check out Alsey Refractories.com

I live out west so I couldn't get this brand but I see you are in the midwest so you're not too far away. If you buy a half pallet the price per brick goes down further. I ended up getting a pallet of super duty bricks (Government surplus) for about $1 a brick so I'm going to build a masonry heater out of these and pay close attention to fracturing - it is still kind of unknown how super duty bricks will perform in masonry heaters. Hope this info helps.

The reason why I can get a masonry heater so cheap? I have learned how to build one - not that difficult, I got the fire brick cheaply for the core, I got the outer bricks for free. My other costs are the door ($400), special mortar, some hardware, and piping. I'm building a smaller heater, however. But it will still kick any wood stove's butt!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back