fire class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm going to be teaching a 30 minute class to a group of boys about 'fire.' Wanted to get some input from y'all on what to cover. I thought I'd take them through the basics from round to blaze.

1. Splitting - PPE gear, and I'm going to have a few axes/mauls for them to split with. I'll play a joke on the biggest kid by having him try and split a small piece of elm while the others split some maple. :laugh: Then tell them about the difference of splitting different kinds of wood, and the difference between a maul and an axe. (But I still don't know the difference between an ax and an axe.) :confused:

2. Kindling - there'll be a few hatchets for them to cut some kindling, and I'll stress the importance of the three elements - newspaper, kinding, splits. Also, how to chop your finger off with a hatchet if you don't wear gloves and take precautions. :msp_ohmy:

3. Building - my own kids still get this one wrong - you must have enough paper and kindling before loading on the splits, and the angle of the fuel helps with the burning process.

4. Lighting - we'll discuss the 3 elements of spark, air and fuel, and go through a few lighting procedures - the old bow and drill, the magneseum, the match, and (my favorite) the propane torch.

5. Burning - the purpose and importance of seasoned wood, especially if buring in a chimney of any kind. I might mention the different ways people heat their homes (fireplace, stove, owb, accident), and how to avoid keeping the moustache from bursting into flame.

6. Finish - hot to put out a fire, what to do with the ashes, the importance of a clean chimney, the dangers of 'zombie coals,' and fire safety.

That's a lot to pack into 30 minutes, but I'd love to hear your advice on any details, things to remember to include (I've a beastly memory, I'll likely forget something important). I'll try and get some pics, and let you know how it goes. It'll be on March 5, unless the weather stinks.

unclemoustache,

Sounds like an interesting class.
How about getting firewood.

Where to get your own or what to do when buying it.
How to cut it
How to fell a tree
Safety
How to move logs
What is good and bad firewood
BTU info

Hope that helps.
Now it's a 2hr class LOL

Since this is for boys between 9 and 18, I decided to keep it to the "it's already here and cut into rounds" phase.

Otherwise I'd have to go into "which saw is the best" and "what oil mix should I use" and "how long of a wedge do I need" and "how many saws are enough" and "which climbing saddle is right for me" and "do I really need to spend $200 on a pair of climbing boots when my tennis shoes are more comfortable" and "how do I sharpen my silky saw" and "should I get my stoned neighbor to be a groundman for me" and "how to convince a farmer that I won't make a mess on his land" and "tactics to prevent firewood theft from repeating," and so on and so forth.

QUOTE (But I still don't know the difference between an ax and an axe.) :confused:

That is a good service you'll be doing for those young fellows. I thought I'd try to help you out with that confusion about the chopping tools. The one with the e on the end (axe) is the same tool as the one without and e on its end (ax). :)

How about teaching how to extinguish a fire and make sure it stays out? You know, so when one of the young men decides to practice his new fire starting knowledge in the basement of his parent's house...

Hey Stash, We talking campfire or a fire in a stove? Stove needs a proper draft before you can build up your splits. ?? Campfire needs something to on hand to put it out or burn around it so it don't get away from a person. Dry grass etc... Why we do not use gass to start a fire.. Sounds crazy but we know if a teen girl who got burned real bad when she used a little gas to start a campfire and the flame followed the fumes to the can. Good for you to take the time to teach these kids..

And ... you might also show them the upside-down startup. How to avoid quench areas that chill the flames and bring combustion to a stop, sending forth smoke-nasties. Depending on their smarts. :msp_unsure:

Tell them not to set the dump on fire.The Firemen and Cops and Mom dont like when you do that!
In all seriousness make sure they learn how fast a fire can get out of control.:wink2:

Like ya said Unk, "that's an a lot to pack into 30 minutes". Make sure you reserve some time for Q&A. :msp_wink:

If you only have 30 minutes I would leave splitting out of it. Splitting is generally handled as part of knife and axe learning, not fire. At least that's the way it was done when I was in scouts. You had two different "licenses" a totin chip for knife and axe and a fireman's **** for fire building. Before you were allowed to use a knife, axe, or build a fire you had to earn your "license" and if you were observed handling any of them improperly you could lose them.

In all the years we camped in woods and fields we almost never needed to split wood. We just gathered what was on the ground (outdoor code says not to damage living trees) and could break up by hand.

I would start with safety (no fires if too dry, fires XX feet from tents or anything that could catch fire, policing the area for things that could catch fire) and extinguishing fires and then move into starting a fire (source, tinder, kindling, fuel)

Here's a link to a lesson: http://www.bsa-troop8.org/Lessons/Troop8FiremnChitLessonOutline.pdf

What we used to do as a practical exam and as a game is split up into groups and see who could build a fire and get water to boil in a paper cup the fastest.

Good times:smile2:

I have taught kids how to put out fires. That's more important than how to get fires going, if you are talking about campfires. At that age, I'd even throw in how to cold trail to be *&^% sure the fire is out.

Cold trailing is turning your hands, palms up, and carefully lowering them and when no heat is felt, you run your hands through the ashes and dirt--you've already mixed the dirt up with the ash. The backs of the hands are used so as not to burn the palms. That way you can still hold a shovel and work.

This used to be a standard method used for mopping up on forest fires. I don't know what they do now.

Lot of good ideas here so far... Every kid should learn if caught on fire to Drop and Roll and Do not run....

Stache maybe get one of your local firemen or women to come in full gear. Us them at the end to say do things right so that these folks don't have to come out.

I'm going to be teaching a 30 minute class to a group of boys about 'fire.' Wanted to get some input from y'all on what to cover. I thought I'd take them through the basics from round to blaze.

1. Splitting - PPE gear, and I'm going to have a few axes/mauls for them to split with. I'll play a joke on the biggest kid by having him try and split a small piece of elm while the others split some maple. :laugh: Then tell them about the difference of splitting different kinds of wood, and the difference between a maul and an axe. (But I still don't know the difference between an ax and an axe.) :confused:

2. Kindling - there'll be a few hatchets for them to cut some kindling, and I'll stress the importance of the three elements - newspaper, kinding, splits. Also, how to chop your finger off with a hatchet if you don't wear gloves and take precautions. :msp_ohmy:

3. Building - my own kids still get this one wrong - you must have enough paper and kindling before loading on the splits, and the angle of the fuel helps with the burning process.

4. Lighting - we'll discuss the 3 elements of spark, air and fuel, and go through a few lighting procedures - the old bow and drill, the magneseum, the match, and (my favorite) the propane torch.

5. Burning - the purpose and importance of seasoned wood, especially if buring in a chimney of any kind. I might mention the different ways people heat their homes (fireplace, stove, owb, accident), and how to avoid keeping the moustache from bursting into flame.

6. Finish - hot to put out a fire, what to do with the ashes, the importance of a clean chimney, the dangers of 'zombie coals,' and fire safety.

That's a lot to pack into 30 minutes, but I'd love to hear your advice on any details, things to remember to include (I've a beastly memory, I'll likely forget something important). I'll try and get some pics, and let you know how it goes. It'll be on March 5, unless the weather stinks.

I agree, it is too much to cover in 30 minutes. You could do a really good job of covering _each_ of those subjects alone in 30 minutes.

Three steps of teaching a class that was beaten into my head repeatedly as a military trainer:
1. Tell them whatyou are going to teach them.
2. Teach them.
3. Tell them what you taught them.

Your 30 minute plan will go down the tube the intant you drag out the splitting equipment - I learned that the hard way. I got badly down-checked because I let the students pass around the piece of gear I was teaching the class on. Noone was paying attention tome.

Harry K

QUOTE (But I still don't know the difference between an ax and an axe.) :confused:

That is a good service you'll be doing for those young fellows. I thought I'd try to help you out with that confusion about the chopping tools. The one with the e on the end (axe) is the same tool as the one without and e on its end (ax). :)

An axe is a tool for splittin' or choppin' wood. "Ax" is what people in NYC say when they have a question.
They ax (ask) someone which way to go or ax (ask) what you are doing?

Now back to the original thread.

At least that's the way it was done when I was in scouts. You had two different "licenses" a totin chip for knife and axe and a fireman's **** for fire building. Before you were allowed to use a knife, axe, or build a fire you had to earn your "license" and if you were observed handling any of them improperly you could lose them.

I would start with safety (no fires if too dry, fires XX feet from tents or anything that could catch fire, policing the area for things that could catch fire) and extinguishing fires and then move into starting a fire (source, tinder, kindling, fuel)

Here's a link to a lesson: http://www.bsa-troop8.org/Lessons/Troop8FiremnChitLessonOutline.pdf

Great stuff! I never thought to go to a scouting manual. Thanks!

I have taught kids how to put out fires. That's more important than how to get fires going, if you are talking about campfires. At that age, I'd even throw in how to cold trail to be *&^% sure the fire is out.

Great point. I'll put that in.

I agree, it is too much to cover in 30 minutes. Your 30 minute plan will go down the tube the intant you drag out the splitting equipment - I learned that the hard way. I got badly down-checked because I let the students pass around the piece of gear I was teaching the class on. Noone was paying attention tome.

Good points. I'll let them handle things after the lesson is over.

You have to remember to take the BSA manual

with a huge dose of salt. Those dummies still teach kid not to stand up in canoes.

Latest posts

Back