fire class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about how large (or small) of a fire makes the proper lighting to set the mood for when the bear skin rug (or air mattress, in my case) is rolled out in front of the fireplace/ woodstove for baby making?? :D

How about how large (or small) of a fire makes the proper lighting to set the mood for when the bear skin rug (or air mattress, in my case) is rolled out in front of the fireplace/ woodstove for baby making?? :D

Good idea. I'll bring the wife over for a demonstration before a dozen young boys and teens ...... :dizzy:

I would start with safety (no fires if too dry, fires XX feet from tents or anything that could catch fire, policing the area for things that could catch fire) and extinguishing fires and then move into starting a fire (source, tinder, kindling, fuel)

With only 30 minutes to work with, these two points are what I would focus on with kids in that order as well. Controlling a fire is more important than making one. And even though I helped Dad make fires in the fireplace at home, I still remember learning about tinder and kindling and their importance from an Outdoor School weeklong class trip many years ago in the sixth grade. To this day when I build a campfire/stovefire my mind subconscously tells me(...i need more tinder..or I need more kindling) from that short class almost as much as the newspaper knots I made with my father.

Good on you for teaching the boys, Stache!

To this day when I watch buddys camping they want to throw three logs together and some lighter fluid and expect it to make a fire. They stopped teasing me about me coaching 'em years ago when they went through all their charcoal lighter fluid!:laugh:

You can get water to boil in a paper cup?

Shaun

Yes. The cup will not burn where the water is. The water keeps the paper from getting up to combustion temperature. If you have a big fire it will burn the top of the cup down to the level of the water.

Good! Sorry I didn't get any pics. Too busy talking.
Had a little powerpoint demonstration, and showed 2 videos of stupidity with fire:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fW9mHlzd6rk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XzrVVmhb1eA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talked about how to put out a fire and fire safety.
Talked about the way to build a fire using the teepee method.
Talked about different kinds of wood and the importance of having dry (seasoned) wood.

Did a little demonstration on splitting, and then one of the boys started the fire with his magnesium thingy.

I was hoping the boys would be interested in splitting up some of the wood on their own, but alas - they were more interested in s'mores and playing tag in the dark.

Went very well, though, but the time was not enough. Thanks everyone for your help and advice!

Latest posts

Back