Fire cleanup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwhite1271

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a job clearing every tree off of 5 acres of property in the Black Forest here in CO. As most of you know that was a nasty fire that burned 511 homes and 18,000 acres. These folks are friends of my wife, so I gave them a great deal. Must be 40-50 cords of wood. These poor people lost everything, pics to come later this week when I get started. Any members in the area looking for cheap firewood, PM me and I will get you info.

what is the average size of trees in the burnt area.
if it's old growth or big diameter get yourself an Alaskan mill and make some beams.
I saw a CL add the other day for an Alaskan mill and a 285xp for 400.
the guy selling it was making beams out of trees that had been in a forest fire out west somewhere for a high dollar post and beam home builder.
he said he was getting a 1000. for a 30' beam

This kind of work can be hard on a saw. I would use a MaxFlow air filter and have a spare element to swap out. They are an AS sponsor too. Buy yourself a box of dust masks and wear one as much as you can stand. The ash is invisible during the day but it is still there.

Falling burnt trees is dirty and dangerous work. If you can, start working in from the perimeter.

I was on the IA and spent 9 days there. We tipped over a ton of trees. There is going to be work down there for months.

I actually just use the the OEM ( the new style) air filters. I will clean them at every tank and then replace every two weeks.

Have fun, there are tons of fun snags and hazard trees.

what is the average size of trees in the burnt area.
if it's old growth or big diameter get yourself an Alaskan mill and make some beams.
I saw a CL add the other day for an Alaskan mill and a 285xp for 400.
the guy selling it was making beams out of trees that had been in a forest fire out west somewhere for a high dollar post and beam home builder.
he said he was getting a 1000. for a 30' beam

Then why was he selling his money maker?

I was on the IA and spent 9 days there. We tipped over a ton of trees. There is going to be work down there for months.

I actually just use the the OEM ( the new style) air filters. I will clean them at every tank and then replace every two weeks.

Have fun, there are tons of fun snags and hazard trees.

I IA'd there, too, where were you at?

There's weeks of work to be done there just in snagging and hang-ups. After the Four Mile Fire we waited about a year or so to see which trees were actually dead. Some that looked dead came back, some that looked alive turned out to be dead. Dangerous work the whole time... Remember, more wildland firefighters die from trees than from fire!

Also if you think cutting black is bad, try chipping it... :bang:

Tree size is anywhere betwee 4-30". Planned on using two saws, but maybe just my old 360pro. My other saws are newer. What do you guys think of the overwraps on the new 261 and 461 filters. Every tree I checked had burnt bark, but under the bark the wood was untouched.
Iv'e got to chip it as well, not looking forward to that!

I have never used the filter over wraps but they might help. My Stihls leak dust around the filter too. You can apply grease to the seating area to help a little. MaxFlow will cure the problem entirely.

You will have to be super careful working around fire damaged trees. They can fall without warning and completely silently. You should never work alone but do not bring your family. Trees kill a lot of wildland firefighters.

Last edited:
I have never used the filter over wraps but they might help. My Stihls leak dust around the filter too. You can apply grease to the seating area to help a little. MaxFlow will cure the problem entirely.

You will have to be super careful working around fire damaged trees. They can fall without warning and completely silently. You should never work alone but do not bring your family. Trees kill a lot of wildland firefighters.

You might want to bring an axe to "sound" each tree by thumping it to check for rot before you start cutting...

You might want to bring an axe to "sound" each tree by thumping it to check for rot before you start cutting...

Fire damage and rot are two different things. One makes the other worse. If you hit the tree with an axe keep your eyes looking up in case you dislodge something. Be careful of stump holes if the fire burned there very long.

Latest posts

Back