Fire!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turnkey4099
I was out scouting for locust today. About 10 miles from the house when I topped a small ridge and saw a column of black smoke beginning about 10 miles away. Obviouslyi not a sstubble fire which are common this time of year as it was a 'point source'. Bad part was it was right over where my house should be as near as I could tell. Of course I was out in the boonies on narrow, washboard gravel roads.

Discovered that an F150 won't even feel the washboards if you get it going fast enough and it also will drift corners!

Closer I got the more it looked like it was my place. Heart didn't settle down until I turned the last corner a 1/4 mile away and saw it wasn't me but over the next ridge - about 1/2 mile further. Ran up there and it was my neighbors big barn.

You might know that that was the only time I haven't had the camera with me when in the PU. Barn was still standing but pouring flame out of every window and door - it didn't last long before on the ground.

Harry K

TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
those old barns go up FAST!! and usually leave very little behind..

Where my girl friend used to board her horse used an big old Cattle barn. Caught on fire one night went headed about 30min after it started and it was a 15min drive.. By the tiem we got there it was on the ground.. All the horses were outside thankfully.

Hopefully you neighbour had insurance

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
So sorry to hear of his losses. Not just the barn but all the old tools and memories tied up in there.

Smoke from the direction of your house will really set your heart to racing. Glad to know you and the missus are OK.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wet hay will do it too. They way the weather has been it would be hard not to put some in to damp.

Funny , I keep thinking you are closer to here. I don't know what your weather has been like.

Last edited:
turnkey4099
Update from today's paper:

Loss was barn (totaled of course), 300 tons alfalfa and grass hay + 1/3 of his crop. No mention of tools or equipment.

Barn was an "Historic" built by original settler and over 100 years old.

Cause unknown but he "heard a wierd noise when he turned the lights out that morning"

Barn was insured - article doesn't say if contents are covered.

Weather around here has been beyond dry - only trace of moisture in past 2 months (could be 3 months).

Of course some idiot took the opporltunity to burn a slash pile up near Spokane today. Fire Dept got to get some good 'brush fire' practice.

Harry K

toqua

toqua

ArboristSite Member
Harry

I am just amazed at people that burn around here this were about the same as you going on ninty days without rain and then someone just has to burn you just gotta love that.

TOM

mranum

mranum

ArboristSite Operative
The wife and I had a scare like that a year ago on the way back from town, turns out just up the road a couple kids took a car out for a joy ride. It was their last. They crashed into the woods doing about 100 mph when they hit the trees. We got there before the first responders and fire department. It wasn't good.

14&15 years old. May they rest in peace.

Latest posts