Firelight vs Ideal Steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfogg

Reaction score
Okay, I have been running an Jutol F600 no cat for 9 years now and I really do love the way the stove heats my house compared to the old steel stoves we had growing up. My problem with the Jutol is that in the 9 years I have had to replace the baffle plates twice at $160 for the set and I now have to replace the secondary air manifold for the second time for $300. I do not overfire the stove for the most part the airflow stays completely closed unless we are home and it is below zero. I load the stove right up as tight as I can pack it when I leave in the morning so that way I have hot coals when I come home 12 hours later and I don't have to restart the stove. I do the same at night. Maybe that is why I keep burning the baffles out.

Anyway I feel as though I am spending to much to maintain this stove with the way that I run it. So I am looking to replace it with something that will have longer burn times so I don't have too pack the stove as tight. I have been looking at the Ideal Steel from Woodstock Soapstone and was wondering what others have experienced. Will I get the same quality heat that I have been getting out of my Jutol without having to drop $300 into it every couple of years. Any insight would be great.

I'm sure you could sell the Jutol if your ready for an upgrade. There are many new stoves available, both beautiful and efficient.
-I've posted about our Vermont Casting Defiant before. Love the top load. We have always used the catalytic element but I guess it can be run without.
-But again there is some maintenance.
I would say we have spent a similar amount as you, averaging a hundred dollars, a hundred plus, a year on maintenance (per stove).
On the present stove we have replaced a catalytic element and an inside ceramic back plate that cracked, which has now been redesigned and is a bit thicker. It is a large stove, and requires an 8" flue.
-It also requires attention as to not overheat the cast the first thirty to forty minutes on start up. (We set our cell phone timers as a reminder after ruining our previous stove.) Not paying attention... can be costly (photos of sage green stove).
-Burn times are going to vary based on installation and fuel.
Well seasoned wood is a must (this can not be overstated enough), and most likely the root of complaints from Vermont Casting owners that quality has slipped. I do not believe it based on our experience and four stoves. We have had an Encore Defiant or Defiant in the house since 1992, and one in a outbuilding the past ten plus years. Sage green stove photos: Directly below the lid is the bottom edge of the Catalytic bypass door/flap. The cast along the bottom of the bipas door frame warped very slightly over a period of several years, with numerous over heatings on start-up over those say four year. Operator error. Once there was no longer a good seal, it must have created an air flow hot spot during regular burns and, over a period of months, deteriorated into uncontrollable burns, and an unsafe/unusable stove. Proper use, fuel, and maintenance is key, and can not be blamed on the stoves design or quality build, as supported by no issues with the past or present stoves.IMG_4085.jpg IMG_1909.jpgIMG_1911.jpg IMG_0261.jpgIMG_1052.jpg
The blue stove is from 1992, and we used it for twenty plus years in two homes and an outbuilding. Replaced it with a non-enamal Defiant. Previous to that, '82-'92 we used a Vogalzang long box stove style, basically a Jutal copy, as our sole heat. We took turns getting up in the middle of the night to load that stove.

I'm sure you could sell the Jutol if your ready for an upgrade. There are many new stoves available, both beautiful and efficient.
-I've posted about our Vermont Casting Defiant before. Love the top load. We have always used the catalytic element but I guess it can be run without.
-But again there is some maintenance.
I would say we have spent a similar amount as you, averaging a hundred dollars, a hundred plus, a year on maintenance (per stove).
On the present stove we have replaced a catalytic element and an inside ceramic back plate that cracked, which has now been redesigned and is a bit thicker. It is a large stove, and requires an 8" flue.
-It also requires attention as to not overheat the cast the first thirty to forty minutes on start up. (We set our cell phone timers as a reminder after ruining our previous stove.) Not paying attention... can be costly (photos of sage green stove).
-Burn times are going to vary based on installation and fuel.
Well seasoned wood is a must (this can not be overstated enough), and most likely the root of complaints from Vermont Casting owners that quality has slipped. I do not believe it based on our experience and four stoves. We have had an Encore Defiant or Defiant in the house since 1992, and one in a outbuilding the past ten plus years. Sage green stove photos: Directly below the lid is the bottom edge of the Catalytic bypass door/flap. The cast along the bottom of the bipas door frame warped very slightly over a period of several years, with numerous over heatings on start-up over those say four year. Operator error. Once there was no longer a good seal, it must have created an air flow hot spot during regular burns and, over a period of months, deteriorated into uncontrollable burns, and an unsafe/unusable stove. Proper use, fuel, and maintenance is key, and can not be blamed on the stoves design or quality build, as supported by no issues with the past or present stoves.View attachment 685960 View attachment 685944View attachment 685955 View attachment 685956View attachment 685957
The blue stove is from 1992, and we used it for twenty plus years in two homes and an outbuilding. Replaced it with a non-enamal Defiant. Previous to that, '82-'92 we used a Vogalzang long box stove style, basically a Jutal copy, as our sole heat. We took turns getting up in the middle of the night to load that stove.
thats a nice looking stove!

Latest posts

Back