fireplace area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Burning wood is a messy thing. I normally try keep mine clean but it's so easy to let it go. My stove is in my basement which is half finished (drywall paint and painted floor) it's in a large room that doesn't get used at all so I find it easy to let it get messy. Worst thing I find is that when I throw my wood in from a window near my woodpile it normaly makes a huge mess on the floor. OH well..

Anyone else as messy as me?

I don't have any pics, I should go take some..

Burning wood is a messy thing. I normally try keep mine clean but it's so easy to let it go. My stove is in my basement which is half finished (drywall paint and painted floor) it's in a large room that doesn't get used at all so I find it easy to let it get messy. Worst thing I find is that when I throw my wood in from a window near my woodpile it normaly makes a huge mess on the floor. OH well..

Anyone else as messy as me?

I don't have any pics, I should go take some..
You should see my workbench.

wood mess

olefarmerbuck,"You should see my workbench." I have same problem with work bench, I'll catch the SOB that messes it up some day. Wood storage is neat as a pin though. Have a 14 x 28 garage with full basement to store my wood. Works great divided it into 6 cells about 9 feet wide, stack 22 inch lengths 2 deep. lay down old t posts and 2x4's on top of that to keep wood off the floor. Wood rack on big casters wheels it into the stove. Got scuttle hole in garage floor to throw wood down, sometimes set splitter right over scuttle hole and split off tail gate of pickup. But the workbench thats another story.

I have to shovel out my little insert at least every other night, and when I'm lazy, the third day's emptying is done while hot, so much air movement is involved. One week and the curtains and couch and bookshelves are covered in ash....oh yeah, not to mention the wood "flakes" and dirt where I drop the armload of wood onto the hearth....oh yeah, not to mention the tracking in of mud and wood droppings while walking across the carpet to get to the hearth....oh yeah, not to mention the pile of ashes outside that gets new hot stuff dumped on top before the old stuff even cooled enough to throw into a bag to go into the trash.
ssiiiigggghhhhh

Best move ever was getting rid of the stove in the living room, going to the boiler in the basement - The 'mess' down there is easily swept up, goes in a paper bag, bag goes right into the boiler - :clap:

On its best day, the basement floor requires hard soled slippers, during wood burning season....
The window opening we toss the wood through, has a rock missing, so the outside soil will sometimes come in with a good rain, but the missing rock is just the right amount of gap for a tossed piece of wood to fly in on a good angle,hit the accumulated pile of bark and dirt to send that stuff all over, and when no more can be packed in from outside, time to go down and stack...sweep/shovel...repeat.

The mess is kept within reason, sweep/shovel back into furnace, but with a cobblestone floor that is in poor shape, sand floor in other areas, it's kind of like chasing your tail.

The fireplace in the LR, that's another matter, there is a handbroom/dustpan right there to keep things clean, enough so that there is no extra ash dust found during the weekly housecleaning.

Workbench,... grew up with ones that were always buried in junk so there was never a place to work on anything..., so those all get cleaned once per week, everything put in its place, so its ready to go at a moments notice....its a perfect beer chore.

Last edited:
That's the biggest reason I love my OWB...no mess in the house. Don't even mind the little pile of ashes chips etc... that end up in front of the door. Shovel them up and in they go.

Back