Fireplace VS Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fettlst

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an open fireplace in my basement and was wondering if I could get more heat out of my wood if I used a wood stove. I bought a wood stove at an auction sale a few years ago but have not installed it. Its not a big wood stove 24"W 29" long and about 32-34" tall. i looked inside of it and it has 1 row of firebrick linning the outside wall. Also its not cast, it looks like someone welded it together. Not sure if it makes a difference what kind of metal its made out of or not. Thanks

I have an open fireplace in my basement and was wondering if I could get more heat out of my wood if I used a wood stove. I bought a wood stove at an auction sale a few years ago but have not installed it. Its not a big wood stove 24"W 29" long and about 32-34" tall. i looked inside of it and it has 1 row of firebrick linning the outside wall. Also its not cast, it looks like someone welded it together. Not sure if it makes a difference what kind of metal its made out of or not. Thanks

With a open fireplace most of the heat will go right up the chimney.

But, before using the auction stove I would make sure that it is airtight and be able to actually take the heat. I also suggest you check with your insurance company/local fire regulations/city regulations to see if you would violate code if you installed it. Some areas have regulations based upon the amount of emissions your stove you put into the air.

If it is a non compliant stove, I would suggest you look at the newer EPA stoves as they put out less pollution and are far more efficient then the older non-EPA models. You will be amazed as to how much more BTU's you are getting from the same amount of wood with little or no smoke coming from your stack. If you looking for a low cost EPA stove I would look into the Englander line that sells at the big box stores. Since it is the end of the season you may be able to find some very good deals.

Can you post some pics of your auction stove?

There's no comparison. A woodstove (vented up your existing chimney) will produce way more heat than any fireplace. A fireplace insert would be better than the fireplace alone but again not as efficient as a standing stove.

Yes the type of metal makes a big difference. Plate steel stoves heat fastest (and cool fastest) but can warp. Cast iron is not prone too warping (but can crack) and gives off heat a bit longer then plate. Soapstove is even more heat retentive but takes longer too get up too temp and holds heat longer than the other two.

Last edited:
Like has been said above, the fact you have more control over the fire in a stove or insert, you should be able to get more heat or longer burn times...

from my experiance we burned half the wood we used to when we went from a fireplace to an insert. the insert was just a simple old metal box stove. then stepping up to a newer stove with the air wash and secondary burn we almost halved our wood usage again.

your results may vary

I purchased a Lopi insert for my fireplace. It works great. It can be dampered down so much it almost puts the fire out. I bought it used from a guy that had an ad in a newspaper. A insert does not take up as much room as a stand alone stove would.

I would keep checking Craigslist and your local classifieds. New stoves have went way up. I bought a add on furnace a few years back for 1100 and now for the same one they go for 1400-1600.

Thanks for the info, ill try and take a pic of the stove in the next day or so. it has some surface rust on it. what kind of pant would you recomend using on it if any. Thanks again

I went with a jotul 400 free standing. I have about 7' +/- of stove pipe inside before exiting thru the thimble. Getting heat from stove and the pipe inside. Works great, on mid 30 to 40 degree days I find myself opening a window, house gets in the 78-80 degree range. colder days here lately able to maintain 70+. definitely cant go wrong with a stove!!!

My mother has a basement fireplace and I put in a Russo woodburner a few years ago. She loves it. It warms the basement and helps take the chill off the first story floor. I stuck it out on the floor and ran the stove pipe into the fireplace and made an adapter to the flue. :)

only way i see geting heat from a fireplace.....

is to practically crawl inside it when there is a fire.

They make high temp paint just for stoves. Good idea to fire it up outside after it's painted, as it will really stink until the paints cured.

learned this lesson when i first ran my woodstove. i fired it up outside but it took an overnight burn to get the paint "cured"

Back