Firewood bargains are out early this year.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Usualy we see cheapo firewood after the first of the year about the time taxes and Christmas bills hit but we just got our weekly shoppers paper and there is an ad for seasoned hardwood, full cords delivered in the county for $110. Hard to say what it will be in January?? Glad I am not trying to make ends meet doing that as a sideline, Gesh!

I wish I could find it cut and split for 110 a cord. At that price I wouldn't bother with scrounging or ordering loads of logs.

I have to wonder how honest a cord it is.Around here a log truck of log length green is averaging $100 a cord.A awful lot of people don't know what a full cord of wood looks like.I have delivered 1/2 cords of wood to quite a few customers who thought I brought them a full cord by mistake.Obviously they had been ripped off before and had know idea.But with the economy the way it is there will be more firewood sellers for sure.Alot of the local tree services that used to give the wood away are in the firewood business now.

Last year around hear it was going for 45 to 60$ a truckload, i think a full truckload is close to a 1/2 cord.

I would sell all my processing eqipment and get out of my winter work if I could geta cord for $110. Cances are it's someone with a few cords of wood, nobody in their right mind would sell hardwood for that price after they made a few hundred cords. Every now and agin my local paper will have an add like that but it's usually someone who had a tree taken down and didn't wanna pay to have it hauled away and they had an excuse to use that new craftsmen in it's case that they just had to have.

That is typical prices, i work with a guy that was selling seasoned hardwood at an auction for 60$ a load, the local paper had a lot for adds for 45 - 60$' 65$ being about the highest i saw.

I can buy it any day of the week for $105 a cord cut and split. It's not jusnk either good quality oak and hickory. The guys sells about 400 cords a year.

Scott

Not alot of hardwoods in our neck of the woods, but softwoods will sell for $180-200 per cord dumped/delivered this winter. Could be a tad less with the economic decline, but I doubt it.

My brother told me that he knew a guy that wanted to buy a face cord of wood to roast a pig. I told him that I really didn't care about selling any but told him about a guy a few miles out of town that has a sign up for wood sales.

I saw my brother today and asked if the guy bought the wood and how much did he pay for it. He said yep, he paid $35.00 for a face cord, mostly oak.

If I knew I could buy good wood for $105.00 a cord all the time I wouldn't bother with cutting any.

Last october, mixed pinon pine / juniper was going for $210 per cord. By late dec, the local price of propane dropped. Along with the drop in propane, mixed wood dropped down to $100. With all the unemployed workers, I am guessing / betting it will be down to $75 range.

I sell oak for $120 a face cord delivered local. Full cord is $360. Doing steady business, mostly to fire pit owners at a face cord or half of that.

OMG! $360 for a full cord, that is some serious moolah, you must really be rolling in the green. :dizzy:

I sell oak for $120 a face cord delivered local. Full cord is $360. Doing steady business, mostly to fire pit owners at a face cord or half of that.

It's $125/cord mixed off the truck in log form, then expenses to process, delivery, so $120/FC is a pretty fair deal. I'd call $325/cord a value, if it contained at least 50% oak/hickory/locust with the remaining 50% containing hardmaple/cherry/elm.

Processing firewood on a small basis is hard work, you guys deserve to get paid a decent share.

If we sold all our equipment to deal with wood, it would still be cheaper by 65% to buy seasoned hardwood from someone else, instead of LP to heat our home.

Hmmmmm....that's alot of free time to fish/hunt/read....hmmmmm.

Last edited:
i sell firewood (fir and alder) 120 a cord 140 if i have to deliver (within 15 miles) do it all by hand. if its past nov. ill sell it 150 a cord 170 deliverd.

OMG! $360 for a full cord, that is some serious moolah, you must really be rolling in the green. :dizzy:

It is rare to sell a full cord at that price, but it does happen. I call it "fancy wood" as it is cut 16" and split to what I would consider to be a big piece of kindling. My market is the recreational burner that wants a better deal than the bundles from the store, but doesn't need a huge wood pile in the yard. Were I selling wood for heating, it would involve less work and detail, and command a reduced price. You can get a pickup load here for $50 or $75 but it is 18, 20, 22" half and quarter rounds. Totally different product and market.

:)

I wish I could find it cut and split for 110 a cord. At that price I wouldn't bother with scrounging or ordering loads of logs.

Agreed! I don't really look for it, but seems that the best prices around me are $200.

up here in nh it's around $200/cord green and $275+/cord seasoned cut/split/delivered. log length is around $100/cord. any less the firewood guys may as well hang it up.

Last winter I sold full cords for $275, half cords for $160 and rows for $65. [There are 3 rows to a half cord the way I stack my wood out of the back of my truck.] This was down in Albuquerque, either pinon or cedar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back