Firewood bundler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree! Wish I could find a couple of those kid's around here to put to work! Hired a yard guy last Wednesday and he only made it 45 minutes. When I came back around the building to check on him, his radio and tape measure were laying on the step behind the back door, never even said he quit! WTF!

I here you on that. Been through 4 teenagers in the last two summers up at my woodyard. I pay per bundle wrapped (.25/each) and they just can't make any money, cause they spend all day texting on the phone. At the end of I do a count and in 6hrs they made less than $30.00. That's sad, as they all seem to want something for nothing.

As a teenager I worked at a Hine's pickle packing plant. The loose pickles came down a conveyor from the floor above, onto another 30' or so horizontal conveyor. At the end there was an angle diverter to a parallel conveyor of the same length going in the opposite direction. It too had a diverter, to the parallel conveyor they just came from. An endless circle of sorts. On the outside of each conveyor a narrow conveyor carrying pickle jars. Both of those went in the same direction. Our job was to put pickles in the jars as they traveled by. Each person adding pickles to whatever jars were in front of them at the time. Lots of pickle packers on each side. The conveyors were all moving in different directions and speeds, and really played with your eyes and head the first few days. I took a shower every morning after work before going to bed, and my pillow still turned green. I would never have stayed, but I had to pay for board and feed for my horse for the winter months if I wanted to keep him.

The fastest way I have found is to dump the wood from crates into my dump trailer. Then you can lift the trailer up and pull wood out the back, so no walking to get the wood. I place 2 skids with sides on each side of the wrapper. With this set up, I was able to wrap 120/bundles in just under 2hrs. With that said, I can not keep that pace up for more than a couple hours. For one I have to refill the trailer and move the skids full of bundles out to get fresh skids in. The other is my right arm gets sore from spinning the wrapper, so I start to slow down and quit when I hit 180-200/bundle goal in a day.

So far with the motor, I am slightly slower than manually cranking as I can only put out around 45/hr. The difference is I can keep wrapping even after I hit the 200/bundle goal as I am not worn out.

The hard part was always wrapping around 200/bundles a day, then knowing I had to go coach one of my boys baseball teams that night. Between the both of them I have a practice every night during the week that puts me in the cage throwing a bucket of balls to each player for batting practice. 200/bundles + throwing 400 balls to the kids = a very sore right shoulder.

The fastest way I have found is to dump the wood from crates into my dump trailer. Then you can lift the trailer up and pull wood out the back, so no walking to get the wood. I place 2 skids with sides on each side of the wrapper. With this set up, I was able to wrap 120/bundles in just under 2hrs. With that said, I can not keep that pace up for more than a couple hours. For one I have to refill the trailer and move the skids full of bundles out to get fresh skids in. The other is my right arm gets sore from spinning the wrapper, so I start to slow down and quit when I hit 180-200/bundle goal in a day.

So far with the motor, I am slightly slower than manually cranking as I can only put out around 45/hr. The difference is I can keep wrapping even after I hit the 200/bundle goal as I am not worn out.

The hard part was always wrapping around 200/bundles a day, then knowing I had to go coach one of my boys baseball teams that night. Between the both of them I have a practice every night during the week that puts me in the cage throwing a bucket of balls to each player for batting practice. 200/bundles + throwing 400 balls to the kids = a very sore right shoulder.
200 bundles in one 8-hour day? I think I could do about 100 in one day using no extra equipment at all and no plastic wrap -- just baling twine and a sawbuck to hold it while wrapping. However, I would have to then head straight for the bar to unload and then knock down a couple of Bud Lights. The bar maid might help fasten on the price tags and help make it all worthwhile.

I have gotten request for some bundles, I thought I would give it a try.
I'm going to make a jig and stretch wrap to get a fill for it. Just wandering what the ideal size bundle should be?

I here you on that. Been through 4 teenagers in the last two summers up at my woodyard. I pay per bundle wrapped (.25/each) and they just can't make any money, cause they spend all day texting on the phone. At the end of I do a count and in 6hrs they made less than $30.00. That's sad, as they all seem to want something for nothing.

Jeez, I pay .75 a bundle

Jeez, I pay .75 a bundle

When can I start? At 45/bundles an hour that's $33/hr and still over $18/hr at a turtle pace of 20/hr.

Kids that have worked in my woodyard would have played for 20min on their phones every hour and still made good money.

I had a close friends boy up wrapping last year and that kid was the slowest wrapper I have ever seen. He would be up at the yard wrapping for 4hrs and only have 60/bundles done. I talked with his mom and told her that he needs to find something else, as I feel terriable paying the kid $15 for 4hrs work. With him I even bumped him up to $.30/bundle just trying to get the kid a little more motivated and speed up. That did not work and we agreed that wrapping firewood was not for him.

I do also pay the kids to help deliver! But had to restructure the delivery prices my boy's were making. I was paying $.10/bundle to unload. Well, thats a fair price when they were going to most of my campgrounds (around $10-15/hr), but there was one campground those kids were making $50/hr at. It was one that orders 500/bundles at a time. I can back right up to the stacking location and unloading all 500 takes less than an hour. Furthest they have to walk is 14' inside the dumptrailer. I told them I would pay $30 for the ones going to that place. For a 9-14yr old kid, $30 for an hour of work is a lot.

I have gotten request for some bundles, I thought I would give it a try. I'm going to make a jig and stretch wrap to get a fill for it. Just wandering what the ideal size bundle should be?
This "ideal bundle size" has been tossed around for dozens of posts. Mine has to be larger in order to be competitive with the supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. And, my price strategy has to promote multiple unit purchases, so that's another consideration. The size of the splits and logs mixed in and the density of the wood you are using figures in as well.

Most agree that splitting the logs down further is desirable for bundles because people like campfires to light more rapidly and burn faster. They also tend to like lower density wood that's lighter to carry and that burns faster also. So, my solution was to use 7 to 9 log bundles of cottonwood, soft maple, willow, poplar, and linden (basswood). I mix in some elm and ash now and then. This works for me, but local conditions and supply are going to influence everything, not to mention the competition from the high-volume dealers.

This "ideal bundle size" has been tossed around for dozens of posts. Mine has to be larger in order to be competitive with the supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. And, my price strategy has to promote multiple unit purchases, so that's another consideration. The size of the splits and logs mixed in and the density of the wood you are using figures in as well.

Most agree that splitting the logs down further is desirable for bundles because people like campfires to light more rapidly and burn faster. They also tend to like lower density wood that's lighter to carry and that burns faster also. So, my solution was to use 7 to 9 log bundles of cottonwood, soft maple, willow, poplar, and linden (basswood). I mix in some elm and ash now and then. This works for me, but local conditions and supply are going to influence everything, not to mention the competition from the high-volume dealers.

Thanks for the reply, I know that there is a lot to consider, just looking for a startingpoint. Mostly ash, 12×12×16 is what I am thinking... ?

Thanks for the reply, I know that there is a lot to consider, just looking for a starting point. Mostly ash, 12×12×16 is what I am thinking... ?
That's about right on the length. I usually cut 16" to 18" logs, seldom over 18". Try to keep them all the same size. Whenever I split a small one, I keep it for a stuffer. Since I wrap my bundles in baling twine, I like to use the small stuffers to firm up any bundle that gets a little loose after being tied. It's much easier to add a log than it is to untie and retie. I've never received a complaint from a buyer of a bundle with an extra small log.

my buddy told me his son had built a FW bundler so i had to see it. him and his buddy just started selling wood and people were asking for bundles. they used scrap lumber they had laying around and bought lazy susan parts at Lowes. they have less than $20 in it. nothing fancy
. View attachment 559885 View attachment 559886 View attachment 559887

This is exactly what I've Ben trying to find to make!! Do you know if the wrap stays tight once done.. Or does it seem kinda loose thabks for the pictures! Tell them great work

This is exactly what I've Ben trying to find to make!! Do you know if the wrap stays tight once done.. Or does it seem kinda loose thabks for the pictures! Tell them great work
the bundles i checked seemed to be fairly tight. i would think the more they get handled they may loosen up a tad. good luck.

Back