Firewood----Dump Trailer----Not Satisfied

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like standards. A clutch is alot cheaper than the guts of an automatic. However, unless I'm wrong new 3/4 Chevys and Fords don't have any standard tranny options. :pumpkin2:

I have to say my 08 dodge with a 6.7 cummins with its auto 6spd but has ability to manually shift gears as well. is the shizzinit. I love it. My 79 ford is 4spd manual. I love them both. Big trailers are great if you have the space. If not stick with a diesel powered plant and get the dump bed.

I get double the mileage with my 7.3 PS than I did with my 6.0 GM. The GM was 4.0to5 plowing and the diesel is never under 8. Diesel would have to be double to negate that. I had 5 new GM rigs from 88 to 2001, Then I picked up a 2001 F250 with a auto trans and have no desire to change. As far as the stick VS auto the only place I like a stick anymore is in a performance car. Heck I had a auto in my drag race car. The only place you see a stick in oilfield service trucks is when the customer wants to place above 30hp with PTO's otherwise it is all autos with the exception of class 7 and 8 trucks and like was stated alot of them are going to autos. CJ

Are there any issues around plowing with a diesel motor in a 2500 or 3500 series truck? Just asking because I have little experience with diesels other than an old 6.2 Detroit that I had in a 2500 GMC years ago.

Just keep an eye on front axle weight depending on the plow setup.

Otherwise I would rather use a diesel.

We haul wood constantly, along with farm implements live stock, etc.
I hate bumper pull trailers, gooseneck trailers are the only way to pull heavy loads, the weight distrobution is right over the rear axles of the truck, and you can back a gooseneck much easier than bumper pull. All our trucks have automatics, never had a problem with any of the general motors trannies, only issue was with a dodge automatic behind a cummins.
We prefer to use our 3500 HD chevy dually with a nine 8' wide x 9' long dump bed. It is so easy to deliver in, we put a cord and a half on it all the time, I'm thinking of adding sides to allow us to haul tow cord, we bought the truck with a blow 6.0 and replaced it with a little 5.3, people told us we would be grossly underpowered, that was total horse crap, we pull 18-20k loads of hay and implements with no issue. With 4:56 gears, it has no problems at all.
We used a 6-7 ton farm wagon hoist under the bed that we bought for a 175.00 at a used implement dealer. The 12v hydraulic unit was about 300.00, we used 1.5" cold rolled steel bar stock for the pivot pin, had it all installed in a day and a half. The dump bed is so handy, best thing we've had on a truck.

Truck and trailer

I have c4500 gmc with a 6 speed alison 2007 have not had a minutes trouble I pull a 30 ft trailer half tilt for my tractor but when I deliver wood I use my old 97 ford half ton with a 6 speed manual. I do only firewood. In the wood business you have to go thru trial and Pay for the mistakes. I tried a dump trailer but it didn't work for me. What works for some body else won't work for you so make your mistakes and live with it. I have spent a lot of money on peoples advise. So think before you listen to some body who is not in your shoes

i work for a large municipality, and they own hundreds of trucks from pickups to tractor trailers, and a variety of machinery. there is not 1 standard transmission in the fleet, and there hasnt been since the late '80s. EVERYTHING is automatic/hydrostat/powershift, no clutch pedals in anything including tractors. as with alot of companies, they must be able to put any yahoo in the truck and have them drive it without replacing clutches once a month. alot of our so-called "truck drivers" have never driven a truck with a standard, much less a truck with a multi-range big truck tranny.

before i got my job there, i applied to drive a tractor trailer at a local paper company. i went to this "group interview" type thing, and the man told us that anyone who cant drive std can leave now, and 9 of 12 people walked out. (!)

i have about 670kmi behind the wheel of a pete 379 doing heavy haul, and like my 18spds

We've managed to haul over 30 cords so far with the Downeaster dump trailer and it's going OK, but it was still easier when I had the one ton dump truck. I got away from the dump truck because of the associated costs ie. insurance, registration, maintainance, rust repair, etc.. With the low volume of wood that we sell it's hard to have extra equipment around that doesn't get used for anything else besides wood delivery. At least with the larger trailer that I have coming this month I can haul my two John Deere tractors around. In a perfect world I'd have a dual wheel one ton with a diesel, but that isn't practical to drive around for anything other than work and I use my one ton single rear wheel almost every day on the road for something.

Yeah, about the trial and error, I have 50 years behind me and I still learn something new just about every day.......sometimes it's about situations, sometimes it's about people.

My thots...

I have delivered with a trailer a few times. It sucks. You never know what sort of interesting maneuvers you are going to have to get backed in. Much, much easier with a dump truck. Although the current 2 ton is pushing that envelope a bit...

this thread turned into a auto vs manual pissing contest.

Auto is okay if it is built right. Stick is okay if driven correctly. UPS uses almost all manuals. They figure the better fuel efficiency is worth it. Under very high HP conditions a automatic is necessary. Take into consideration that all the heavy equipment is automatic....think earth movers here.

My transmission tech (and yours as well) says that he can build a tranny you won't kill. Maybe, is my answer. give me a granny tranny and I am happy.

Yeah, about the trial and error, I have 50 years behind me and I still learn something new just about every day.......sometimes it's about situations, sometimes it's about people.

+1 I'll be in bad shape when I quit learning. I absolutly hate dealing with know it alls. If you know it all, why are you asking me and then get mad when I tell you something you don't like!!! CJ

Back