Firewood Grapple by Blockbuster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience with THAT particular brand. I am honestly betting, since they make processors, the bucket is over priced.

MANY manufacters out there make a compareable bucket. Our farm buys mostly VIRNIG attachments.

Thanks for the heads up on Virnig. Do you know if the skeleton rock bucket without the grapple would work for loading split firewood. The firewood is in large piles.

the gator attachment is cool but look at the weight, if your skid steer has a 1800# limit your now down to 1100# once you install the lighter one...700 + pounds is a lot for an attachment..

I made mine, similar to that one, but geared more toward handling brush & raking. I have about $1000 in it including hoses, couplers, the whole 9. I worked on it piece-meal, about 10 hrs total to build

My loader is a 2001 Swinger 2000AG with about a 2000lb lift capacity. It arrived last week and it's in the shop awaiting the parts for the auxiliary hydraulics. It has a bucket but from what I understand a bucket doesn't work too well driving into a pile of firewood.

Let me suggest that one is okay-ish.

But I'd think you want a flat bottom, skeleton bucket, with a top clamp you could make yourself.

Recycling com[anies have a bucket with a solid flat bottom and the bucket side are intact.

Look at rock sifting buckets, unless your piles are on concrete.

Are you trying to move logs and splits with the same bucket?

Another suggestion woudl be the forks mounted with a top clamp, and a tip-out garbage dumper. Mount a clamp on your forks for moving logs, and build a few boxes that you could place under your splitter. When full, dump where you want, otherwise keep feeding the splitter with just the forks.

There are LOTS of grapple manufacturers out there. Gator is a popular brand with compact tractor owners. Given that your machine has a 2000lb lift capacity, I would recommend a lightweight grapple so as not to reduce your lifting capacity. For grappling firewood, you really don't need a super heavy-duty grapple, like you would if you were tearing up sidewalks and construction debris. "Heavy-Duty" usually equates to heavyweight.

I have a "heavy-duty" grapple, which Gator customized by welding extra tines into to bottom to enable me to hold split firewood without it falling through the bottom. It's gotta weigh close to 1000lbs.

Regarding construction, I think gator makes a good product at the price point, with excellent service. There are others to consider, such as Virnig, Bradco, ANBO, everythingattachments, etc. They all make high quality grapples, in terms of construction quality, probably better then Gator..but they're usually WAY more expensive than Gator for a similar item.

I posted these somewhere before, but here's a few pics:

11edcd94.jpg

62de196f.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on Virnig. Do you know if the skeleton rock bucket without the grapple would work for loading split firewood. The firewood is in large piles.

We have a Cirnig rock bucket. The shape of the tip of the bucket is blunt. I wouldn't use it to load firewood myself. You could, but, I think it would push the pile as much as it loaded the bucket.

You could modify the tip of the bucket with a torch, I suppose. There is a pipe welded though the end of the tines at the bucket tip though. So I don't know how "pointy" you could get it.

We also have a Virnig grapple bucket. No slots. Used it to load logs many times and would be better suited to split wood, IMO.

I understand what the guys are saying, in reference to the weight of the bucket. However, you will bend the crap out of one built to light too. So, that is something to keep in mind.

I use a New Holland L180 Skidder, but there are three other skidders floating around the farm. I think the capacity on the NH is around 3K.

the gator attachment is cool but look at the weight, if your skid steer has a 1800# limit your now down to 1100# once you install the lighter one...700 + pounds is a lot for an attachment..

On the weight - a good dirt bucket weighs between 4-500#, so a 700# grapple is not out of line. I THINK rated capacity is with standard bucket, so you'll only lose +-200lbs. Just put a fat guy in the seat to make up for it :hmm3grin2orange:

The rock grapples are great for moving logs. Make sure you get one with curved ends on the bottom. I find a regular skid steer bucket works well for loose wood. I find it grabs more than the grapple. That blockbuster attachment doesn't look like it would grab more than one log at a time if it had to pick from a large pile.

How much is the blockbuster grapple ? - just curious.

Here is a picture of a buck I use sometimes. It gets rid of come of the dirt but not all. Unless you are on concrete your going to get dirt when you scoop wood unless you are real careful.

Scott

I have not heard back from Blockbuster so I'm not sure of the price. I came across this grapple made by WR Long and it looks like it would work - OBG1. Not too heavy but it appears sturdy.

They also make the same attachment with dual grapples. How important is having dual grapples as opposed to the single grapple in the above link.

Thanks again.

I have not heard back from Blockbuster so I'm not sure of the price. I came across this grapple made by WR Long and it looks like it would work - OBG1. Not too heavy but it appears sturdy.

They also make the same attachment with dual grapples. How important is having dual grapples as opposed to the single grapple in the above link.

Thanks again.

For logs, the duals don't make much difference. If you want to move brush, trash, split firewood, etc.--- anything that's a pile of smallish things in a big sloppy pile, duals are the way to go. That way, when you push into a pile & end up w/ an uneven bucketfull, your (single) grapple doesn't clamp down on the fat side of the load & let the material on the skinny side spill out.

Latest posts

Back