Firewood Grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Hur

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a grapple for skid steer that can grapple Or scoop the wood Off a pile and dump into trailer. If you have ever tried to scoop up firewood off ground it can be aggravating trying to get a decent amount without scooping dirt with it. Even with a skeleton bucket it can be a pain.
I was thinking more of grappling off the mid section of pile but haven’t tried.
Anyone have experience in this department I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I have loaded some firewood with my brush grapple but it has too big of holes in the bottom and you lose some wood that way. I think you are going to need a skeleton type grapple to load firewood and let the dirt out the bottom. The other problem is most grapples have too much open space in the middle and you will probably lose too much wood that way to. You may have to custom build a grapple for your skeleton bucket for firewood. Almost need the wood on concrete.

I just got an 80 in rock bucket grapple - digs into wood pile great ! It has 3 inch spacing so the dirt and most of the junk falls out
Does each grapple controlled independently or 1 button controls both?

I had a 72in rock bucket special made to go on my TN75. It worked great for scooping firewood. Just scoop up a bucket load and give the bucket a few shakes and the dirt would shift thru the bottom. My bucket had 2 in spacing, which was a little to close together for scooping rocks as the rocks would fill in between the tines and stop the dirt from shifting thru.

they are controlled by one control but they move independently - so if you have an uneven load one will clamp til its tight then the other one will keep going until it hits - if that makes sense.
Yes that’s perfect for grappling random sizes like firewood

Stone grapples still dig into grass and dirt and push splits into the mud. I've had lots of different buckets for splits and we always go back to hand loading onto a conveyor. I don't sell that much wood though. Demo grapple, stone grapple, manure tines, various solid buckets, brush bar ( without grapple though) nothing really works that well on dirt, grass or mud.

Stone grapples still dig into grass and dirt and push splits into the mud. I've had lots of different buckets for splits and we always go back to hand loading onto a conveyor. I don't sell that much wood though. Demo grapple, stone grapple, manure tines, various solid buckets, brush bar ( without grapple though) nothing really works that well on dirt, grass or mud.
Yup same here, Almost always will get that 1 piece that screws up the whole scoop, and you waste time trying to slowly get a good scoop. So we hand stack almost half cord on bucket. Haven’t found a cleaner faster method, maybe just faster or just cleaner but not both together.

Tight spacing on a skeleton bucket helps, and you can add on a piece of 10 gauged sheet steel rolled and "bolted" to your grapple arms. You might also look at a flat bottom open sided bucket recyclers use to round up aluminum cans and plastic milk jugs.

Back