Firewood: Just to easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
:clap: Thought i would share what iv'e been doing the last couple weeks. There is an old timer (72 years old) up the road about a 1/2 mile from my house that is having some timber cut on his property. They started last Sept. so shortly after i stoped and asked if i could cut tops for fire wood.He says he has to think about it and tells me to stop back in a couple months. A couple of months go by and i stop again. We get to talking and i offer to do any welding on his equipment in exchange for cutting wood. We talk some more and come to find out he used to work for the same company that i have worked for the last twenty years.He still is'nt sure about letting me cut wood and tells me to stop back. I stop back a couple of weeks ago and offer to pay for each load. He says ok so i ask how much and he says hows $10.00 per load. I happily agree. He is worried about me getting hurt so i write up a paper and sign agreeing not to hold him responsible should i get hurt and hes happy. By the way they are still cutting timber and should finish next week.The area he tells me to start at is about 50' off of a diirt road. I head up with my little 28 Hp case international and start draging some logs out to little clearing next to the road. I get a bunch out and then go get my truck and trailercut up and take home and stack. I'm happier than a pig in SH*!. I was hooking a chain on the logs and draging out. But got to thinking about this old set of tong that i have had for 20 years. They had long hanndles on each side for two men to lift and carry. I cut the handles off and bend an eyelit on them and hook to my tractor boom and head back wed. to drag some more logs out. The hooks work great, i van hook up about 90% of the time without getting off the tractor. I tried to make a release on the hooks but they do'nt work so well. I could release about 25% of time without getting off the tractor. I modified the release yesterday but have'nt tried it yet. I have one more load to grt today. I can get the logs to within 5' of my trailor. This is some of the easyest wood i have ever gotton in 22 years of burning wood. The tongs keep the wood up off the ground so its not getting packed with dirt or mud except for the very and of it and my little tractor is great for getting in and out of the area. Have a few pictures to show my process. I have about 4 cord stacked for next winter and hope to have enough for the next two winters by the time it warms up as long as it does'nt get to wet.

Wood pile

Heres a picture of my wood pile. The tandem trailer in the picture i made.The color was made from two cans of paint i had that were mixed together.Can anyone tell me how to put my pictures in the post without have to add an attachment that you have to click on?

Nice woodpile! You scored!

ironhead said:
Can anyone tell me how to put my pictures in the post without have to add an attachment that you have to click on?

It's all right here.

This post is particularly brilliant. :D

Seriously, using an image hosting service is probably the best way to do it - saves space and bandwidth on the Arboristsite servers.

Holler back if you have questions!

ironhead said:
Heres a picture of my wood pile. The tandem trailer in the picture i made.The color was made from two cans of paint i had that were mixed together.Can anyone tell me how to put my pictures in the post without have to add an attachment that you have to click on?

NICE PILE OF WOOD
ITS A GOOD FEELING WHEN EVERYTHING WORKS RIGHT.

We use to use a boom and tongs to haul wood.We attached a small piece of cable as shown in this picture to release. set the log down and give a tug.

attachment.php

tongs

DDM said:
We use to use a boom and tongs to haul wood.We attached a small piece of cable as shown in this picture to release. set the log down and give a tug.

attachment.php
The first set up i tried the hooks would get to flopping around and get all tangled up. The way i have it rigged now might work. I hope to try it out today.

Cool.

Just make sure you don't lift the logs that you are skidding too high or you'll screw up the tractors center of gravity and flip over backwards.

Actually i forgot that we had welded a piece of angle on the pole on both sides and added a pulley to keep the tongs straight .Its hard to modify the picture.
To show the exact setup.

Newfie said:
Cool.

Just make sure you don't lift the logs that you are skidding too high or you'll screw up the tractors center of gravity and flip over backwards.

ISTM that it wouldn't matter how high. The point of lift is already way over the center of gravity. Well...thinking about it.... Stationary that would be correct, height of lift would have no effect. Now I'm not sure what happens when the rig is in motion.

Harry K

use caution

turnkey4099 said:
ISTM that it wouldn't matter how high. The point of lift is already way over the center of gravity. Well...thinking about it.... Stationary that would be correct, height of lift would have no effect. Now I'm not sure what happens when the rig is in motion.

Harry K
I try not to get to much weight it one time and ALWAYS keep my foot by the clutch pedal just in case the log hangs up on me.

lift

DDM said:
Actually i forgot that we had welded a piece of angle on the pole on both sides and added a pulley to keep the tongs straight .Its hard to modify the picture.
To show the exact setup.
I did'nt get a chance to try my revised set up. If it dose'nt work i will try your set up. Thanks for the ideas.

Talkin about imbalance of wieght and sorts.. if you dont have a loader on the front of that international.. might be wise to just add a couple hundred pounds to the front.. pretty easy to make a wheel weight bracket.. just need weights.. that or make your own forms for front tire weights and use concrete.. Just 200 pounds of weight hangin off the front of the tractor makes a heck of a difference... Nice to see a rops device on your ride also

Weight

crashagn said:
Talkin about imbalance of wieght and sorts.. if you dont have a loader on the front of that international.. might be wise to just add a couple hundred pounds to the front.. pretty easy to make a wheel weight bracket.. just need weights.. that or make your own forms for front tire weights and use concrete.. Just 200 pounds of weight hangin off the front of the tractor makes a heck of a difference... Nice to see a rops device on your ride also
Guess i should have taken a picture of the front end. I made a bollt on bracket about a year after i got the tractor that has about 150 lbs. on it. And yes it makes alot of difference.

TheTreeSpyder said:
Even if it doesn't flip, the imbalance of weight will wear bearings, frame, transmission worser than cntered CG.
The tractor was designed for up to a 6' finish mower hanging off the back. It does"nt know that it has one end of a log or my mower on it. I'm not grabbing big logs,most are 8 to 14 inches and if they are big ones i cut them shorter.

Whats wrong with hauling a log out on 2 wheels? You have the brakes to steer with! :)

Neat set-up on the tractor and I like the idea of being able to work the tongs from the seat. Next best thing to a grapple. One thing,though. Your hoist rig seems like it'll lift the grapples a lot higher than you really need. If you keep the end of the log off the ground thats really all you need to do. Raising it as high as you could with your hoist would be a little risky. When they go over they go over FAST and if you're a split second late on dropping the boom or hitting the clutch we'll be reading about you in the injury forum...don't want that.

Wheelie bars!!! Wheelie Bars!!! few yrs ago when we i sidedress with anhydres we use a 8 row b&m cultivator with a 4840 johndeer.. we had to put 1200 extra pounds of weight just to keep the front down...but you could ride 20 ft long wheelies np while shiftin

But when adding weight to the front of your tractor becarefull not to add to much. it is incrediby hard on the spindles. Your manual or other papaer work should list the maximum weight you can have on it.. should only have just enough to balance the front end of the work your doing.. nothing more If your going to use the tractor for other lighter duties.. take the weights off

boboak said:
Neat set-up on the tractor and I like the idea of being able to work the tongs from the seat. Next best thing to a grapple. One thing,though. Your hoist rig seems like it'll lift the grapples a lot higher than you really need. If you keep the end of the log off the ground thats really all you need to do. Raising it as high as you could with your hoist would be a little risky. When they go over they go over FAST and if you're a split second late on dropping the boom or hitting the clutch we'll be reading about you in the injury forum...don't want that.
I always keep the load close to the ground. Just hiigh enough to keep it out of the mud and dirt. Yesterday i brought out about 3 cords after its cut up and there was a few that i had to use the brakes to steer with.I try to work extra careful cuz i'm usually working by myself.

Back