Firewood Measuring Sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good review and pics, Philbert. Looks like an interesting idea. But I think this "stick" might encourage someone to cut wood without a helper to pre-mark the cuts. Cutting solo is not a good practice. So I'm wondering if this product is creating a worse habit than the problem it's solving.

cut by myself for the last 40 yrs.

2 saws for size comparison. First 3 pictures are a 241 with 12" bar. Last 3 are a 661 with 25" bar. The measuring stick is set at 20".

My initial impression when I opened the envelope was "cool." It wasn't as large as I had envisioned. It appears to be built well and the magnet is very strong. There shouldn't be any movement issues unless you physically knock it off. The laser etched markings shouldn't wear off.

If I could change one thing it would be the friction fit for the adjustment. It feels like its metal on metal but so far I haven't noticed any of the powder coat being effected by the friction fit.

Its made using Easton tubing which reminded me of a vendor I used some years ago for a business I was running... I am not affiliated with this company...

http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

It wouldn't be difficult to fashion something from any of the tent poles they have.

ce3431b52af3ebdfdedf83c22b529db7.jpg
5f8c7a0cffdac5bf82c252a19940c1d9.jpg
3fa22737ab73e4c177cddaafb529667b.jpg
e0cdd681048ad57ebeca1d276d44a5ba.jpg
3f32ad74b5d69150202cb3a16e73b8db.jpg
2f1bc54ffcabeaa05635b13778855679.jpg

Sent from a field

If I could change one thing it would be the friction fit for the adjustment. It feels like its metal on metal
Drizzle a few drops of 3-In-One oil a into the joint and work it back a forth a few times - eliminated the 'scratchy' sound on mine.

And maybe think about some high-viz tape, in case you drop it through those deck boards!

Anxious to hear how you like using it.

Philbert

Casey, I'd love to see those pics in post #63 right above your last sentence ("Sent from a field") but they are ignored by my computer and cannot be opened. Any idea what format those files are or what I need to download in order to look at them?

Finally got the chance to put this to work.

Works as intended. BUT, your saw needs to have dogs long enough that the stick can nestle into them and still have the dogs be functional. Obviously the 241 dogs won't cut it. Here is the result of using it in the 362....

f8a26421fb0c7f6a57fd24d0f182d4d1.jpg

That's the result of the magnet sticking out past the dogs and using the magnet as a point of leverage.

Sent from a field

Reading this I got all excited ( I do that a lot) went to Amazon ordered 3-4 1.5 inch diameter round rare earth magnets. The add says they will hold up to 70 pounds each.DSCF0379.JPG DSCF0380.JPG DSCF0381.JPG Mine have a metal housing with the magnet nestled inside the magnet has a small hole in the center big enough for a normal size drywall screw. Now I need to affix something to the magnet and I will be all set. Any ideas what to use for a rod? I envision a rod the right length I then drill a small hole up inside one end then fill the hole with epoxy and put a maybe 2 inch drywall screw through the magnet and into the drilled hole in the rod to hold it together. I know I can buy one all built for under $15.00 but if I play my cards right I should be able to build one for right around the cost of several dozen already built ones !!! ha ha.

Reading this I got all excited ( I do that a lot) went to Amazon ordered 3-4 1.5 inch diameter round rare earth magnets. The add says they will hold up to 70 pounds each.View attachment 557723 View attachment 557724 View attachment 557725 Mine have a metal housing with the magnet nestled inside the magnet has a small hole in the center big enough for a normal size drywall screw. Now I need to affix something to the magnet and I will be all set. Any ideas what to use for a rod? I envision a rod the right length I then drill a small hole up inside one end then fill the hole with epoxy and put a maybe 2 inch drywall screw through the magnet and into the drilled hole in the rod to hold it together. I know I can buy one all built for under $15.00 but if I play my cards right I should be able to build one for right around the cost of several dozen already built ones !!! ha ha.

Wood dowel. May be too fragil if small diameter. Hollow tubing with short piece of dowel inside?

Reading this I got all excited ( I do that a lot) went to Amazon ordered 3-4 1.5 inch diameter round rare earth magnets. . . . Now I need to affix something to the magnet and I will be all set. Any ideas what to use for a rod?
Patience grasshopper . . .

Keep an eye on this thread. I too was struck by the challenge, and have been working on some 'home brew' versions.

Was hoping to wait until they were finished and tested, but might have to make some in-progress posts now!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back