Firewood on pallets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wood2.jpg I've got about 50 of these that i've made from my sawmill leftovers - 4x4x4, theres an extra stringer on each side, the sides slip right out & lay flat, much like the pallets they use for bluestone. The last few years rather than stack from a big pile, I load the pallets right off the front of the splitter. Never touch it again until it's sold or getting burnt. I use an old Trojan with forks on it, would pick 5 or 6 thousand easy. I use locust or cedar for the bottom slats, upper parts can be anything. Even then, I always throw a few runners under each pallet, cause once they freeze down, you'll wreck it lifting it.

That's the plan, getting to stive this evening, setting it tomm and will be doing a shed next weekend with them... of somesort....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Picked up an oak double wide from my dealer yesterday. Once I get the compost bin under control and the garlic planted (hopefully today) I'll start moving the wood over. I think I'll lay down some pea stone this week....It get's pretty wet there in the spring.

BR,

~TW

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_074749623.jpg
    IMG_20170930_074749623.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 42
I just built my first pallet that I intend to use with my tractor. I actually haven't even tried it yet but plan to this weekend. I got the idea here. http://petersonsawmills.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/press_articles_general28.pdf

What I like about this is that I can fold them up and stack them to reduce space needed and I can haul more than one to the woods. I am going to play with the placement of the bottom runners so I can have the uprights more up and down on the next one to see if I like that better or not. I used eight foot boards and cut them in half but I figured with the angle of the uprights I will get around 1/3 of a cord on here and when wet....that should weigh under my tractor lifting capacity.
IMG_20171017_232042764.jpg IMG_20171017_232055277.jpg IMG_20171017_232250406.jpg IMG_20171017_232311920.jpg

I made a bunch more today. Thought I'd upload some better pictures of how we build them and wrap them.

View attachment 604335 View attachment 604336 View attachment 604337 View attachment 604338

Uzi,
I know this is an older thread, but are you still making your firewood stacking pallets the same way? Have you made any improvements or modifications? Are you using a nail gun to set the 1x4 sides, than pallet wrap once the start to bend outward from the weight of the wood?
What are you using to move the pallets around once they're full?
Are you able to get a full 1/2 cord in a pallet?

Thank you

Uzi,
I know this is an older thread, but are you still making your firewood stacking pallets the same way? Have you made any improvements or modifications? Are you using a nail gun to set the 1x4 sides, than pallet wrap once the start to bend outward from the weight of the wood?
What are you using to move the pallets around once they're full?
Are you able to get a full 1/2 cord in a pallet?

Thank you

I have moved all my firewood over to ibc totes. The pallets worked good but now I don’t have to buy shrink wrap or 1x4” any more so it cut down on costs a little. The pallets I used were 40x48” so not quite 1/2 a cord per pallet I sold the. As 1/3 cord pallets even though it was closer to 1/2. The pallets also didn’t hold up well to multiple trips.

B7280D66-C295-45BE-94AC-6355CDE7E8D8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back