Firewood Price Predictions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pine, Larch and Fir was sold @ $150.00 a cord consistently all last year and through the winter... Some guys advertised at $135.00 a cord.

I see it falling to $90 a cord here by fall... To many guys lost their jobs, and will be out trying to feed their families.

I got $240 a cord for mixed hard/soft wood delivered but not stacked this winter, will be selling for same this next season. I dont see prices going down at all despite propane getiing cheaper, most people around here use woodstoves for heat thats not going to change.
City slickers on the other hand will pay $7.95 a bundle for dry as dust soft wood at the supermarket wish I could get into that racket, the wood is beetle eaten and has no sap in it before being cut, burns about as good as cork they are getting taken to the cleaners. Might as well buy Duraflame it at least it makes pretty colors and makes fake crackling noises for looking at while getting rug burns in front of the fireplace on a Saturday night...

i was getting 250 a cord delivered last year and i sold out fast.

i will be getting at least that much this year or i won't be selling any.

I only sold a few cords retail last year. I got $150 for that.
I sell most of my stuff to a wood lot down the hill for $100 a cord delivered & dumped 3 cords at a time, he was selling it for $175.

Who knows what it will do this year. There's not much of a supply, and every one who lost their job will be poaching, trying to pay the bills.

Andy

Last year I had to beg for tree length, this year the loggers are calling me.
The local paper mills are scaling back on intake, now I can buy wood cheaper. That combined with the fact that I stocked up on farm diesel for $1.72 a gallon, I might turn a decent profit......key word being "might".

That article must have been in Greek... Cause I didn't get it? :dizzy:

It means you're paying a small premium now which gives you the right to buy (or call) a stock at a set price in the future.

For instance if I said to you give me $10 now for the right (not obligation) to buy a cord of wood for $200 in October and you thought a cord was going to sell for $250 in October it would seem like a good deal. No matter what the price in October you'd have the right to buy it at $200. If it was $500 a cord you could buy it from me for $200 and turn around and sell it for $500 and pocket the diffrence ($300-$10 price of option). Obviously if you could get it for $175 on the open market in October your option would be worthless and I'd have pocketed the $10. Simply buying and selling stocks isn't exciting and risky enough so they had to come up with other ways to make (and more often than not lose) money.

It means you're paying a small premium now which gives you the right to buy (or call) a stock at a set price in the future.

For instance if I said to you give me $10 now for the right (not obligation) to buy a cord of wood for $200 in October and you thought a cord was going to sell for $250 in October it would seem like a good deal. No matter what the price in October you'd have the right to buy it at $200. If it was $500 a cord you could buy it from me for $200 and turn around and sell it for $500 and pocket the diffrence ($300-$10 price of option). Obviously if you could get it for $175 on the open market in October your option would be worthless and I'd have pocketed the $10. Simply buying and selling stocks isn't exciting and risky enough so they had to come up with other ways to make (and more often than not lose) money.

Ahhh.

Prices rarely flucuate here, the going rate is 150 bucks a cord for good oak and hickory.Even last year with the fuel prices I had a hard time increasing my price to 165 a cord delivered.I survived only because I have so many regular customers that know good wood from wet green stuff and didnt want to take a chance on getting some bargain wood and end up leaving it for next year.
On top of the cheap folks around here, we have had like the rest of the country been drowned in guys that are out of work, and are willing to work all day for 30 bucks.
If the price drops below 150 a cord delivered, my wood is staying right here at the house.

$165 a cord

We had a big Forest product place open here. I thought it would hurt my business because they were selling cheap $145 a cord. People learned quick not to buy it it 's green and mixed. I sold 11 cord already @$165, last year I was getting $150. I have good customers that I treat well with good seasoned species specific wood. (say that fast):)

I don't for see a big change in price here, business as usual. Central Pa was in a recession before the recession. We are used to living frugal.:greenchainsaw:

Back