firewood processors home made

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbuilt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys , still trying to build away here , its a real work in progess but keeps me off the streets .
so far with just basic hand tools and a lot of junk metal finds been building away , long ways to go yet and tons to learn, but if it helps my poor back cutting all these wood drags all the better
but could use a little help here I need to slow down my infeed conveyor chain . my trough is 14 feet long if that will mean much my motor has an rpm of 152 which I want to slow way down from that , was thinking 10 tooth sprocket to a 40 tooth and then another 10 tooth to another 40 tooth on my conveyor drive ,. anyways anyone know the speed ratio formulas or where to go get it would be a help

Flow

hi guys , still trying to build away here , its a real work in progess but keeps me off the streets .
so far with just basic hand tools and a lot of junk metal finds been building away , long ways to go yet and tons to learn, but if it helps my poor back cutting all these wood drags all the better
but could use a little help here I need to slow down my infeed conveyor chain . my trough is 14 feet long if that will mean much my motor has an rpm of 152 which I want to slow way down from that , was thinking 10 tooth sprocket to a 40 tooth and then another 10 tooth to another 40 tooth on my conveyor drive ,. anyways anyone know the speed ratio formulas or where to go get it would be a help

u need a flow control, easy,... and then look at changing the gears,....Eric

Flow

u need a flow control, easy,... and then look at changing the gears,....Eric

Any jack shaft or gear box placed between the driver and driven shafts requires you to multiply the reductions NOT add them. In your example 40-10 is the same as 4-1 and 4-1 x4-1 = 16-1

A flow controll will slow it down as far as you wish and as long as the torque of the drive is OK now would be the way to go IMO. If you also need some extra torque then sprockets will slow ot down and increase the torque to the trough chain. The speed of the drive with your example would be slowed down by 16-1 or driven shaft RPM/16. Available torque would be very close to multiplied by same number.

I get things like flow controllers from the Surplus Center, you need to know your GPMs toget the correct one. Too big is OK but too small doesnt work with a flow controller.

have you tried it yet?

a lot of times you can just feather the control valve to slow it way down.

that is what i do on my infeed. full on, it is waaaay too fast, but i can slow it down.

if you use a restrictor orifice, or use a flow regulator, you will really work your pump/engine, and heat the hell out of the oil.

a better solution is to design your hydraulics a little better.

processors

have you tried it yet?

a lot of times you can just feather the control valve to slow it way down.

that is what i do on my infeed. full on, it is waaaay too fast, but i can slow it down.

if you use a restrictor orifice, or use a flow regulator, you will really work your pump/engine, and heat the hell out of the oil.

a better solution is to design your hydraulics a little better.

no I haven't tried it yet still way into the building stage , really enjoyed the vi you put on the utube and the pictures have been a great help . The motor I am running for my in feed chain is a charlynn 152 rpm 15 gpm unit with3600 inlbs of torque I don't want to loose that need it , I just want to slow the inspeed of my trough chain way down I don't want to feather controls , just a steady smooth slow gate speed thats why I thought I could do it all with gear ratios of my sprocket sizes from the motor to the jackshaft of my trough chain . like a 10 tooth on the motor to a 40 tooth built with a pillar block bearing with another 10 tooth sprocket on that end to another 40 tooth on my jack shaft . The reason is because of room restrictions I built my splitter off to the side so my wood blocks slide over and down into the splitter I watched a few with the splitter under the trough and the blocks sometimes dropped endo meaning fingers or arms in places I don't want to go . I had that experience with a thumb and a johndeere tractor , the tractor won , thanks dr. for all the input and others its helping

I used the bank valves off an old steiger tractor. They work kinda like a loader control. If you pull it a little, it moves slow. If you pull it more, it moves faster unti it max's out.

i will tell you a few secrets.

it takes one HELL of a conveyor to suck up a full horsepower. In other words, my 25 foot tall conveyor, all rusted up, with an 1/8 of a cord and me holding it back, and a one horsepower enigne can idle it on over the top..........

If I had to guess, 150 rpm is about right for a log conveyor to haul the logs to the chopsaw.

TRY IT.... jackshafts, chains, and all that crap is surprisingly high maintenance, and I really doubt you need it.

infeed trough

i will tell you a few secrets.

it takes one HELL of a conveyor to suck up a full horsepower. In other words, my 25 foot tall conveyor, all rusted up, with an 1/8 of a cord and me holding it back, and a one horsepower enigne can idle it on over the top..........

If I had to guess, 150 rpm is about right for a log conveyor to haul the logs to the chopsaw.

TRY IT.... jackshafts, chains, and all that crap is surprisingly high maintenance, and I really doubt you need it.

I think that 150 rpm comming into the saw is too fast , how fast do you think yours is doing ?
like ow far do you think my 14 feet of trough chain will travel , my trough chain is on a 11 tooth sprocket measures a diameter of 10 inches or so
thanks

mine is a lot smaller diameter sprocket.

maybe 4 or 5 inches????

the more gpm you use for this motor, the less you have for the splitter.

Just because it's a 152RPM motor doesn't mean it has to run that fast. Use the right kind of hydraulic valve and you'll have no problem.
I built mine cheap and easy because I didn't insist that everything had to work at the same time. I used a smaller motor, pump, etc., etc.. My main goal was to ease the labor and it sure does that, plus, even with doing one operation at a time, it is way faster than a saw and splitter. Way! Of course the six-way helps!
lots a luck

Latest posts

Back