firewood processors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryblls

Reaction score
interested in buying a processor for a crew to run. They are on the payroll already and at times have nothing to do. Multitech is nice but lots of money --I like the circular saw blade vs. the chain saw type cutting system. If I am going to pull the trigger it will be for real , so what do you guys vs for commercial operations ? thanks

I think both multiteck and Cord King (Cord Master) make processors that run circular blades. Either, would set you back the better portion of $100K. You would need to process and have access to a lot of wood to make a go with this type of unit. You would also need some way to feed the processor and a method of moving processed wood away from the unit. If you are just looking for a way to fill busy time, a husqvarna 372xp and a super split should be more than enough to keep a 3 man crew occupied. I neat alternative is the powersplit. It is sort of a self propelled woodsplitter and conveyor all in one. If I was dealing with tree salvage wood, it would probably be high up on my list.

I have been quoted in the 120k range for the big Multi tech and a conveyor. The wood would be bought from loggers. the chain saw type processors are about half the cost of the circular saws. how much of a mainetence headache are the chain type ? how often will the chain need to be sharpend, tightened etc.

Having limited experience with a chainsaw processor, I really am not qualified to comment on the performance of these machines. Like any chainsaw, if the wood you are processing is dirty or dry, you can expect that the chains would need more frequent attention. In addition, the chainsaw units probably require bar oil of some sort. If you plan on doing a lot of processing, you can expect added expense and contamination of your property vs a circular unit. Be sure you have a reliable supply of processable wood before you invest too heavily in a processor.

Welcome to AS.

I operate a chain/bar type Multitek processor.
The chain is pretty rugged, harvester stuff, so until you hit a piece of iron, you just keep on cutting.

Well built machine.

Insurance liablility between a circular saw type and bar/chain differs, talk to your agent.

Last edited:
There is a guy up the road from me who has two guys running saws on the log pile, splitting the rounds on two small splitters and feeding a decent sized conveyor. They really move some wood.

I have a Hakke Pilke 1x37 Easy Firewood Processor, if you need a bigger one than that they sell a x42 and now have a x47. I have run 70 cords through mine and haven't had any real problems yet. Is it profitable? Maybe.....maybe not. For me it's a one man operation and that suits my plan just fine for now.

Last edited:
who is the dealer in Maine for the Hakke Pilke ? does it run off a PTO? the only web info i can find is for a site in Europe --any US web site? thx

who is the dealer in Maine for the Hakke Pilke ? does it run off a PTO? the only web info i can find is for a site in Europe --any US web site? thx

its actually called hakki not hakke and its quality finnish stuff... from my experience theyre really rugged and last usually couple lifetimes unless you ruin it on purpose...

its actually called hakki not hakke and its quality finnish stuff... from my experience theyre really rugged and last usually couple lifetimes unless you ruin it on purpose...

Not that I didn't believe you, but I dug out my manuals and you are right!
Hakki Pilke it is and I have edited my signature.

What exposure to them have you had? I ran onto them at the Fryburg Agricultural Fair in Maine and knew I had to have one. I also ran onto some fries I had to have, but that's another story for another time.

Last edited:
Not that I didn't believe you, but I dug out my manuals and you are right!
Hakki Pilke it is and I have edited my signature.

What exposure to them have you had? I ran onto them at the Fryburg Agricultural Fair in Maine and knew I had to have one. I also ran onto some fries I had to have, but that's another story for another time.

Havent ran that kind of machine myself but i know plenty of ppl that have used it and like it.. I myself have older quillotine type processor (made before hakki was even founded) but nowadays hakki makes it, its probaply around 30-40 years old and still running with only minor repairs (couple belts and plenty of grease)... From what i've heard those newer kind of machines are same quality and last as long as older ones...

I found a 2005 Hakki Pilke 1x37 for $12,500 through a Google search. It's in New Hampshire. I'll PM you the link.

Hello

I am also looking into buying a processor but its a smaller one. its made by built-Rite Mfg. module 18SCP-D. have any of you guy heard any good or bad about them?

Hello

I am also looking into buying a processor but its a smaller one. its made by built-Rite Mfg. module 18SCP-D. have any of you guy heard any good or bad about them?

Built Rite is a good company . I own a SCP 30 and they have been very helpful over the last few years when I run into problems or need parts. The 18SCP is too small in my opinion unless you need to process only small logs and don't need fast production.

who is dealer in are area, or did you go right to the Mfg. I was talk to them and they don't have any one nearby. Are the processors made with parts off the shelf or must you buy every thing from them? What kind of $$ are the SCP - 30?

I've owned two and run a third that belonged to a friend (cord-king). The big circle saw cuts faster for sure but you can't out run the splitter. Both machines have to wait for the splitter to finish the cycle before they can finish the cut (unless you're in 25-30" logs). I prefer the harvester chain for a couple reasons:
1) You can buy a roll of harvester chain made into loops for 4-$500. They last for weeks but if you hit something, you're a chain-change away from being back in business. It also takes half the kerf of a circle saw chopper.

2) The circle saw usually only needs maintenance every 500 cord or so but if you hit something, you're done until you get it fixed. I've also seen the teeth come off :dizzy:

The key to production for us is to keep a truck under the conveyer, Our Timberwolf is a little slower than my buddies' Cord King but we out produce him by having enough trucks to keep the processer humming.

Another factor is how well you can regulate the size of pieces coming through the wedge. People whine about irregularities, an auto centering wedge would be really nice. We tend to get a lot of kindling size pieces so we put a grizzly thing on the end of our conveyer which screens out about half of it.

Good luck, whatever you end up buying, you probably won't ever go back to a wood splitter. I call mine "The employee of the year".

I've owned two and run a third that belonged to a friend (cord-king). The big circle saw cuts faster for sure but you can't out run the splitter. Both machines have to wait for the splitter to finish the cycle before they can finish the cut (unless you're in 25-30" logs). I prefer the harvester chain for a couple reasons:
1) You can buy a roll of harvester chain made into loops for 4-$500. They last for weeks but if you hit something, you're a chain-change away from being back in business. It also takes half the kerf of a circle saw chopper.

2) The circle saw usually only needs maintenance every 500 cord or so but if you hit something, you're done until you get it fixed. I've also seen the teeth come off :dizzy:

The key to production for us is to keep a truck under the conveyer, Our Timberwolf is a little slower than my buddies' Cord King but we out produce him by having enough trucks to keep the processer humming.

Another factor is how well you can regulate the size of pieces coming through the wedge. People whine about irregularities, an auto centering wedge would be really nice. We tend to get a lot of kindling size pieces so we put a grizzly thing on the end of our conveyer which screens out about half of it.

Good luck, whatever you end up buying, you probably won't ever go back to a wood splitter. I call mine "The employee of the year".

I here you about the irregular sized pieces, the process is so fast it's hard to be sure split sizes are consistant.

What is the "Grizzly" thing you mention?

Our grizzly thing is about 2 foot long made of 3/4" roundstock mounted at about a 20 degree angle at the end of the conveyer. It looks like a big pitchfork. The big pieces slide down it and into the truck but the small kindling size stuff slips through the tines. We have a slide hanging under the conveyer so the kindling goes down the slide and into a pile under the conveyer.

BTW, Mossmans Hakki is a very impressive machine for small wood and if you're smart, like these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6H_Orp7XFw you can make them even better.

Latest posts

Back