firewood saw chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlman27

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a ms 290 20" bar and ms 391 25" bar I do a lot of firewood cutting and splitting but my main question is chains my ms290 I plan on using a full chisel chain and my ms391 using a full chisel full skip chain I know the saying you get what you pay for but does that also go with the brand Oregon and forester there fairly a lot cheaper then stihl brand chains how durable are they?

I find the Carlton chains are way harder to re -sharpen than the Oregon by hand filing... a good file will last maybe through half a Carlton chain compared to the latter!

You've got me wondering how you're going through files like that. I'm using some generic Swiss-made "Chipmaster" files from Amazon on WoodlandPro (Carlton) 3/8" semi-chisel I spun from a reel. Stroke or two per tooth for a touch-up every other tankful, and the same file's been in use since March, in my Granberg guide. Maybe the filing guide's the difference? Maybe not, but it sure keeps things simple and productive for me.

This chain seems similar, if not the same, in hardness to the other chains I have from the same co. Sure you don't have carbide? :D

You've got me wondering how you're going through files like that. I'm using some generic Swiss-made "Chipmaster" files from Amazon on WoodlandPro (Carlton) 3/8" semi-chisel I spun from a reel. Stroke or two per tooth for a touch-up every other tankful, and the same file's been in use since March, in my Granberg guide. Maybe the filing guide's the difference? Maybe not, but it sure keeps things simple and productive for me.

This chain seems similar, if not the same, in hardness to the other chains I have from the same co. Sure you don't have carbide? :D
?? lol probably just the user and a weekend wanna be-me! but then I have never really cut much wood as a ageing young man that I am!

As they said it is pretty well known the Stihl chain is the hardest, followed by Carlton and Oregon being the softest. I don't think a person goes wrong for money spent on any of them. Truth of the matter is out the field any of them will cut a truck load of clean wood without being touched,,if you stay out of the dirt and rocks. Then you go home and three strokes of a file puts them in shape to next time out. If you have time or inclination to worry about brand A gets two more file jobs than brand B and thus costs .002 per cord less to use then I am not knocking you just saying personally I don't care a lick about it and have never kept track. What does matter is if you cut skidded wood or regularly preform feats of chainsaw trenching then semi chisel is the only way to go, it will put more wood in the truck at the end of the day than chisel because you spend less time filing All Chinese chain, no matter whos name is on it is trash don't waste your time and money. I regularly watch Ebay and scored three 100' rolls of Carton in the sizes I use on the cheap, 3/8 chisel, 3/8 LP semi and 325 semi so the issue is settled for me, I am now a Carton man, LOL.

FWIW I have noticed that when I have a fresh batch of chains, all sharpened at the same time by the same person, that the Oregon seem to cut faster initially but the Carlton hold their edge significantly longer and offer more level performance.

I do have one old Timberking chipper style chain that I uncovered and it gets the job done.

Also have one Total brand chain from my local saw shop. I've only cut three trees with it so the jury is still out on that.

Not a fan of safety chain. For me kickback isn't normally a problem (knock on wood) with my saw as I'm running at low RPM's with high torque in soft wood.

I've always used Carlton chain and have no issues with it. I've been told by the ol'timers it a harder material but have nothing to support it other than their word of experience.

I did start researching on here about file life but there are too many factors involved to draw any conclusions. My husky brand file made it through about 80-85% life of my 72DL Carlton full chisel chain... I'm willing to try a new brand of file before I conclude the chain was hard enough to wear it out.

Yeah I'll have to get me a file I have an electic harbor freight chain sharpener that I use now and keep that in the shed I'll have to get a file for the field

I've had it for about two years now still on the same wheel I like it a lot as long as its set up right corresponding to your chain angle and depth it does really great

Back