firewood saws, older I get the smaller they get, 346xp 357 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont know how old you are Nikko, have never saw your face, but i always picture you looking like the guy in your avatar, long white beard!

It is quite long at the moment, since it is winter - but not really white (well, partly) - and the hair is hardly white at all. There are lots of pics of me on this site, but some are a few years old.

I am 54 btw.

It is quite long at the moment, since it is winter - but not really white (well, partly) - and the hair is hardly white at all. There are lots of pics of me on this site, but some are a few years old.

I am 54 btw.

not as old as I suspected, I would like to see one of those pics though , to put a face to the name! tryed a search no luck

It's all relative, to many things, but around here my Husqy 455r is, to me, pretty heavy artillery for firewood cutting. Reserved for the serious lumbering of dead/down.

After the tops are cut up with a 35 cc saw, and most of the load is taken off the stem and main leaders. As much as possible, the little saw has right of first refusal on a cut.

Fatigue, and attendant brain-fade, are prime ER recruiters, so the little saw helps keep me fresh and un-bloodied. Good A-V and low-noise help there. :cheers:

Must be a fifty year old thing. I only grab the 066's or 394 only if I really really need too. Then the 044, MS440, then the MS360's or the 55cc Huskys. Finally end up at the $10.00 021. That 084, Homelite Super 1050 and McCulloch Pro Mac 1000's are nice to run once in a great while, not for very long.

I'm 53 by the way.

:rock:

to me it has nothing to do with age but more do with targeted wood. Species, size, closed canopy grown, open grown with many crotches, etc... I will use the best tool for the given job. If that's a 60cc saw with a 16" B/C, so be it. 60-70cc tend to be my "go to" saws for 90% of what I cut.

a bit younger than you , started cutting around 85, got a chainsaw for christmas when I was about 13, cut everything in sight christmas day! lOL

I went into the firewood business with my old man, at 16. A year later I bough him out, cause I was doing all the work. Had a Poulan 245A, a hydro splitter and a 1/2 ton truck.

to me it has nothing to do with age but more do with targeted wood. Species, size, closed canopy grown, open grown with many crotches, etc... I will use the best tool for the given job. If that's a 60cc saw with a 16" B/C, so be it. 60-70cc tend to be my "go to" saws for 90% of what I cut.

True, the tree mandates what saw to use. Sometimes you can get by with a $10.00 021, other days the 100cc saws can't hack it. Then again, neither can I for very long anymore.

for firewood I really would not ever need a bigger saw than the 357. For the tree service thats another story, gotta have my bigger saws and there are days the 084 is it, saves my ass. When you have to buck up a 4-5 ft trunk the 084 makes a hell of a lot of work still a hell of a lot of work but bearable!

Last edited:
for firewood I really would not ever need a bigger saw than the 357. For the tree service thats another story, gotta have my bigger saws and there are days the 084 is it, saves my ass. When you have to buck up a 4-5 ft trunk the 084 makes a hell of a lot of work still a hell of a lot of work but bearable!

Absolutely. I love running my big cube saws when the work dictates it..............right tool for the right job. But there is nothing like a fine running, nimble, ergonomic saw that likes to eat wood either. Enough saw and sharp chain are the keys to happy sawyer.:cheers:

You guys make me feel normal! Im 49 this year and for the last few years have found firewood cutting a little harder on the body,regardless of saw size.Now i know its not just me. :msp_biggrin:

It's all relative, to many things, but around here my Husqy 455r is, to me, pretty heavy artillery for firewood cutting. Reserved for the serious lumbering of dead/down.

After the tops are cut up with a 35 cc saw, and most of the load is taken off the stem and main leaders. As much as possible, the little saw has right of first refusal on a cut.

Fatigue, and attendant brain-fade, are prime ER recruiters, so the little saw helps keep me fresh and un-bloodied. Good A-V and low-noise help there. :cheers:

You surely need some better saws, as those are total POS - with a lot of weight, a lot of plastic, and very limeted power!:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back